S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Starting the purchase process. Any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting the purchase process. Any tips?

Hi-

My '99 A4 burped fuel the other night, and my wife is pushing me to buy a new car.

I'm still looking for a deal on a used S4, but need to research and consider a new S4. Any tips? Is invoice a realistic target? Can I get rid of the destination fee?

How do the dealers manage the US inventory? For example, if I want a particular configuration that is not in inventory locally, how does my local dealer get it.

Also, can I still order the exact configuration I want? (I really want the midnight blue). Do you think I'd have more leverage?

What do they try to sell you at time of sale that I should avoid or expect (free floor mats?)?

Thanks.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tweakophyte
Hi-

My '99 A4 burped fuel the other night, and my wife is pushing me to buy a new car.

I'm still looking for a deal on a used S4, but need to research and consider a new S4. Any tips? Is invoice a realistic target? Can I get rid of the destination fee?

How do the dealers manage the US inventory? For example, if I want a particular configuration that is not in inventory locally, how does my local dealer get it.

Also, can I still order the exact configuration I want? (I really want the midnight blue). Do you think I'd have more leverage?

What do they try to sell you at time of sale that I should avoid or expect (free floor mats?)?

Thanks.
Supposedly you can still order a 2012 through the end of this month. You can probably get pretty close to invoice pricing on a 2012. If you want to order a 2013 I'd expect to that you won't be able to get them as inexpensively.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

I ordered an S4 at invoice, but it varies State to State and Dealer to Dealer. Just go to truecar.com, configure your car, and see what Dealers in your area offer. Be careful of the Dealer document fee which I've seen range from as low as $99 to a high of $499.

BTW I negotiated my deal over the phone. Those days of face to face negotiation where the sales guy goes to his sales manager for approval, and you go back and forth with offers are dead as far as I'm concerned.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

re: I'm still looking for a deal on a used S4, but need to research and consider a new S4. Any tips? Is invoice a realistic target? Can I get rid of the destination fee?

About 500 above invoice is a decent price for a person off the street. If you work for a company that is an Audi supplier, the Audi supplier discount is a good way to get a good no-haggle price. This thread has a list of companies but it is outdated:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2790046

Destination fee is charged by the factory (i.e. the dealer pays it for the car; it's not a dealer charge) so it's doubtful you can get it elimiated directly. Even the Audi supplier discount doesn't discount the destination fee.

re:How do the dealers manage the US inventory? For example, if I want a particular configuration that is not in inventory locally, how does my local dealer get it.

Dealers can do swaps. Easier if they swap with a dealership owned by the same parent company. Also you can get a list of all incoming S4's (to a given dealership) for the next few months from your salesperson. Dealers can also do swaps at the port, so you don't need to limit to just cars coming in to your dealer. Your salesperson should be able to help you with this option. If they won't, find another salesperson.

re: Also, can I still order the exact configuration I want? (I really want the midnight blue). Do you think I'd have more leverage?

Not sure you have much leverage with Audi's, given their strong sales, but I'd think you'd have more leverage the more open you are to several different colors and options, rather than having a single fixed car you must have.

re: What do they try to sell you at time of sale that I should avoid or expect (free floor mats?)?

Varies with dealer, as does their pushiness. Window tint, wheel insurance, paint and interior protection, are among the things they will try to sell you. Generally they can all be had for cheaper elsewhere. They'll also offer Audicare, which many people get but it's not a great deal for everyone (like if you can do your own oil and filter changes and/or drive low annual miles). Many threads about these topics.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just went through the ordering process and can tell you the prices I was quoted ranged from 1000 below retail(what a joke) down to 250 over invoice. I have heard of a few people getting invoice so that is doable.
I agree with sly1 about calling around. Its kind of a waste of time to go to dealers and deal with sales people just to find out there price doesn't compare. I was able to call about 6 dealers within a reasonable distance from me and just tell them exactly what I wanted and get a price. I will usually tell them i'm calling around to get the best price so they know they won't be hearing from me again unless they put out a pretty good deal. If you are open to cars on the lot I was offered a car on the lot for 1000 below invoice, which was tempting but not exactly what I was looking for so I passed on it.
As for documentation fees I am seeing those for just under 200.
Just remember don't be intimidated by cheesy sales tactics. this is a good article if you havn't seen it.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/co...-salesman.html

To be honest I did not experience to much of this with Audi but have seen it in full force with other manufacturers, except of course the promise that my new s4 would have incredible resale value so the price of 1000 below retail was very fair. I almost fell out of my chair laughing.

Hope this helps,just some of my experiences.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the tips. I'd still love to find a deal on a used one, but inventory seems light, and for the relatively low savings I keep thinking about the advantage (or at least peace of mind) of doing my own break-in.

PS Hi Seth.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My $0.02 - go to cars.com, input your desired config, there are lots of S4s out there right now. Call the dealer who has the one you want, tell them they have to ship it to you (not drive it) as part of the deal, and haggle. Don't be afraid to hang up. I had a dealer call me back like 3-4 times in one day lowering the price each time.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by thomasjordan
My $0.02 - go to cars.com, input your desired config, there are lots of S4s out there right now. Call the dealer who has the one you want, tell them they have to ship it to you (not drive it) as part of the deal, and haggle. Don't be afraid to hang up. I had a dealer call me back like 3-4 times in one day lowering the price each time.
I'm in Boulder, too. Did you try any of the local guys? Anybody come close? Where'd you end up buying from?

Thanks,
Old 01-19-2012, 05:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I found the car I wanted at Elk Mountain Audi in Western Colorado. It was last winter when I really didn't think I could drive it back through the mountains (with the default summer tires, and record snow), so they shipped it on a truck here.

There are 24 new S4s within 250 miles of here according to cars.com, but some folks on the boards have had their car shipped much further than I did. I don't know what you're looking for, but I'm happy to help you find it.

Let me know if there's any way I can help you. I'm really happy with the car.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you are worried about getting the car for invoice you could always purchase an A4, they are much more cost effective?

Quick Reply: Starting the purchase process. Any tips?