S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Squeaky brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 09:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, at what temperature are you experiencing this annoyance?

Just that mine only started as it got colder over here before Xmas. Last week it warmed a little and, mysteriously, the squeaking disappeared. Now this week the weather's got worse again, and...you've guessed it.

I'm talking temperatures hovering around 0 degrees C.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I got hit with the squeaky brake bug as well. It has only happened a handful of times. Temps are usually 40-50 deg F
Old 01-05-2010, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

My brakes squeaked the first few days during low speed stops around town. I changed my stopping style to braking late and harder which is counterintuitive with a new car. Not the best practice on snow either.... A couple weeks of that and I haven't heard from them since. Knock on wood
Old 01-05-2010, 09:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah, it's a temperature issue. I bought the car in NC, no squeaking. Heard it during this cold weather we've been having up here in NoVA. It seems like it's been getting better after a couple weeks of city driving, though.

Same thing as everyone else, light braking at low speeds (under 30 mph), braking harder prevents it.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Pete.S

Just that mine only started as it got colder over here before Xmas. Last week it warmed a little and, mysteriously, the squeaking disappeared. Now this week the weather's got worse again, and...you've guessed it.

Mine did it for the first week of ownership and started again the last few days as it is below 0 deg C (around 15 deg F). It also seems to be worse when the humidity is low, although my squeeking is not very noticable. I have to listen closely to hear it. I now have 3100 miles on her.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default brake squeal - machining

The disks on the S4 don't seem to have been lathed and not machined in a cross-hatch pattern (looking at ours (250 mi now), which squeals loud enough on the drivers side only that you can't have a conversation on the bluetooth connected phone and stop at the same time).

I sicked my wife on the dealer (since its Actually her car) and the service advisor told her to brake hard. Well, we live where there will be no hard braking without threat of crash and death until Mar and she informed them that was not a reasonable request for a new vehicle and hung up.

At that point she called AOA and they agreed to have the car looked at - have appointment, will try to keep this updated

As an aside there was a fix for the old A4 brake squealing (ours started around 10,000 mi - and was no where near as obnoxious as the S4 is) that was in a TSB from Audi, at that time I took that car to the dealer and they said - they all do that, and I countered with - gee then why is there a TSB fix - short story they put a slight chamfer on the brake pads and roughed the disks under warranty and the squeal went away. I'm hoping AoA will give the S4 the same treatment
Old 01-13-2010, 09:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default A few more reviews like this may wake Audi up?

http://www.edmunds.com/audi/s4/2010/consumerreview.html
Old 01-13-2010, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pete.S

Yeah, here as the temperature got above 50 degrees F the squeaking while braking significantly decreased and is almost completely gone now.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I too have been plagued by the dreaded squeal. It is quite embarrassing as I come to a stop at a light and the whole world looks to see who is making the awful noise. I've bedded the brakes 3 different times and it solved the noise for a day or 2. Car is now at 650 miles.

Took it to my dealer today who was more than happy to look at it. As others have noted, the standard approach is to blow out the brake dust and then to rinse it out further. The drive home tonight had a couple of small squeaks, but not nearly as bad. While I hope this solved it, my gut tells me it will be back in a day or so. Hopefully my patience lasts long enough for audi to issue an updated TSB that does fix the issue. In a 50K+ car, it's hard to accept as "normal". It certainly doesn't entice co-workers and friends who ride with me to be interested in Audi.

Interestingly I got my Audi survey today for having purchased the car...
Old 01-13-2010, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by b_desmo
The disks on the S4 don't seem to have been lathed and not machined in a cross-hatch pattern (looking at ours (250 mi now), which squeals loud enough on the drivers side only that you can't have a conversation on the bluetooth connected phone and stop at the same time).

I sicked my wife on the dealer (since its Actually her car) and the service advisor told her to brake hard. Well, we live where there will be no hard braking without threat of crash and death until Mar and she informed them that was not a reasonable request for a new vehicle and hung up.

At that point she called AOA and they agreed to have the car looked at - have appointment, will try to keep this updated

As an aside there was a fix for the old A4 brake squealing (ours started around 10,000 mi - and was no where near as obnoxious as the S4 is) that was in a TSB from Audi, at that time I took that car to the dealer and they said - they all do that, and I countered with - gee then why is there a TSB fix - short story they put a slight chamfer on the brake pads and roughed the disks under warranty and the squeal went away. I'm hoping AoA will give the S4 the same treatment
You don't live in Anchorage, AK do you?