S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Sport Differential - Any Adjustability?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 04:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport Differential - Any Adjustability?

On order, just opted for the $1,100 sport differential option, not the whole package with lane assist, etc.

Will I be able to adjust any settings? If so, what parameters will I be able to work with?

Thanks
Old 01-29-2010, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

On mine sport diff (6 MT, no Nav) only a selection of comfort, auto, dynamic. If you have Nav, can adjust some more stuff.

Bruce
Old 01-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nice. Where do you adjust? Is there a hard switch somewhere?

No nav here either, wasn't prepared to soend the extra $2500.

Any pic's of your interior? There are very few pics of interiors without nav.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DucatiSim
Nice. Where do you adjust? Is there a hard switch somewhere?
There's a button.

The difference is that without Nav, you get Comfort transmission/shift points, Comfort sports diff, and Comfort Servotronic (speed-sensitive steering boost) all at the same time, or Auto or Dynamic respectively.

With Nav, you can choose to have one set to Comfort and another to Dynamic, etc.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John Thacker
There's a button.

The difference is that without Nav, you get Comfort transmission/shift points, Comfort sports diff, and Comfort Servotronic (speed-sensitive steering boost) all at the same time, or Auto or Dynamic respectively.

With Nav, you can choose to have one set to Comfort and another to Dynamic, etc.
You guys crack me up! I have the sports diff and Nav, which means I played around with the Individual settings on the Nav screen once for about five minutes or so. Do I know what the individual settings are now? No, I haven't the faintest! LOL When I get in the car I either leave it in Auto or switch it to Comfort or Dynamic.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by drrick89
You guys crack me up! I have the sports diff and Nav, which means I played around with the Individual settings on the Nav screen once for about five minutes or so. Do I know what the individual settings are now? No, I haven't the faintest! LOL When I get in the car I either leave it in Auto or switch it to Comfort or Dynamic.
My S4 hasn't arrived yet, but that's exactly what I figured would happen and that figured in my decision not to get ADS. I am looking forward to the diff in terms of erasing understeer, but suspect that after the first month of newness wears off it will see the same setting for the next 5 years.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually, I find the Sports Diff settings useful. Comfort for heavy traffic (which happens more often than I want in Northern Jersey), Auto for normal driving, and Dynamic for aggressive driving. The settings work really well.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

I really like the Individual setting on the sports diff when Engine/Throttle as dynamic, diff as dynamic, but steering as auto. I don't like the steering set to dynamic as much!
Old 01-31-2010, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

What does steering set to dynamic do actually? I'm suspicious it is the injection of artificial additional stiffness and feedback in the wheel at lower speeds.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by canyoncarver
What does steering set to dynamic do actually? I'm suspicious it is the injection of artificial additional stiffness and feedback in the wheel at lower speeds.
IIRC, the servotronic steering is a variable power assist system. It will provide more assistance at low speed to make parking easier and decrease as the speed goes up. In dynamic mode, the assist curve is lowered just like you said. This does two things, makes the steering more precise and less sensitive to bumps on the road.

Quick Reply: Sport Differential - Any Adjustability?