S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Sport Diff: What's the verdict on serious ice and snow?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sport Diff: What's the verdict on serious ice and snow?

Anyone has first hand experience to share?
Old 12-09-2009, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tubi
Anyone has first hand experience to share?
Today was my first day - we got 10 inches of snow, followed by ice, followed by rain to neatly warm it all away.....

I went out in the morning on my Dunlop Winter Sport 3ds. They are sufficient, but despite my previous post, it was much easier to get squirrely than I thought. I felt in control the whole day, but in a hard braking the tires didn't perform that strongly - I could stop in much shorter of a distance with a soft braking and avoiding anti-lock.

Overall, I found that it was very strong in dry snow, less controlled in the hard pack/slush/ice, but I'd say that's pretty normal. I was in snow, at various points in the day, where the body of my car didn't clear the snow and had no trouble pushing through. Never felt like I would get stuck.

Now, this may have been in my own head, but I did feel like the power to the front and rear was noticeably different than the last S4 I had (2004). I felt more rear end power in the snow than I expected and less pull from the front.

Not sure if that's what you had in mind, but thought I'd share.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by S4-NH
Today was my first day - we got 10 inches of snow, followed by ice, followed by rain to neatly warm it all away.....

I went out in the morning on my Dunlop Winter Sport 3ds. They are sufficient, but despite my previous post, it was much easier to get squirrely than I thought. I felt in control the whole day, but in a hard braking the tires didn't perform that strongly - I could stop in much shorter of a distance with a soft braking and avoiding anti-lock.

Overall, I found that it was very strong in dry snow, less controlled in the hard pack/slush/ice, but I'd say that's pretty normal. I was in snow, at various points in the day, where the body of my car didn't clear the snow and had no trouble pushing through. Never felt like I would get stuck.

Now, this may have been in my own head, but I did feel like the power to the front and rear was noticeably different than the last S4 I had (2004). I felt more rear end power in the snow than I expected and less pull from the front.

very nice. thanks for that! What size are your winter tires?
Old 12-09-2009, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

What setting did you have it set at or does it not matter ? I would think that the car should be more winter-friend in comfort mode as oppose to being in sports mode, what do you think ?
Old 12-10-2009, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by trigoe
very nice. thanks for that! What size are your winter tires?
18" tires
Old 12-10-2009, 05:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I believe the older S4 had a 50/50 split, whereas this one is 60/40. That's what I read on the internets, anyway

- Jeremy -
Old 12-10-2009, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

IIRC, the B7-RS4 was the first to come out with the 40:60 split, to enhance the driving experience by giving it more of a rear bias. I believe the same system has been adopted by all otheir other series introduced after the B7-RS4, with the exception of the TT-series.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Overall, I found that it was very strong in dry snow, less controlled in the hard pack/slush/ice, but I'd say that's pretty normal.
Can the Sport Diff still get you into trouble if you drive faster than you should for the condition or it makes the threshold of losing control much higher?

Last edited by tubi; 12-11-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It will adjust the threashold higher, nothing can stop you from wrecking the car if you apply more speed than intelligence.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
It will adjust the threashold higher, nothing can stop you from wrecking the car if you apply more speed than intelligence.
Yup, folks forget all these electronic / mechanical traction/stability controls in today's cars are mainly for the benefit of keeping you on your intended course if you accelerate too hard coming out of corners , assuming there is some tire traction .

OTOH, I think there are some out there who think they can take a 20 mph hairpin at 80 mph because they have stability/yaw control. I've even overheard sales people say things to that effect to " mom and pop " customers buying sedans in car showroom as a sales ploy , which is unfortunate .

Quick Reply: Sport Diff: What's the verdict on serious ice and snow?