S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Spongy Brake Pedal on Brand New B8.5 2016 S4 DSG7

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrGP
good thing is you have a warranty. Take it back and have them check it out. BUT I'm a little afraid you will get the standard "its normal". Have you tried bedding in the brakes?
I tried bedding them with no change.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by onlyturbo
Thanks for the reply everyone!

I did not try to bed them, I am at 700 miles now and same issue. I'll try to describe a little better.

Maybe spongy is not the right word, maybe not linear is a better way to describe it. It does feel a little like a DSG surge!

If the car is at rest in drive, when I slowly let go of the brakes to try and inch forward, the car does not move, and then letting go a little more and then the brakes let go and car moves too far to the point I need to brake again but harder. So not linear motion is a better description probably.

could it still be a brake bedding issue?
thanks
I have a 2015 with dsg and it behaves the same way. I think it's just a quirk with the dsg. Essentially the dsg is slipping the clutch briefly then engaging. Once it engages the car sort of lunges. If it were a manual you would slip the clutch more to allow more of a creep forward.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default i also have a 2015 with DSG

Originally Posted by GTI2S4
I have a 2015 with dsg and it behaves the same way. I think it's just a quirk with the dsg. Essentially the dsg is slipping the clutch briefly then engaging. Once it engages the car sort of lunges. If it were a manual you would slip the clutch more to allow more of a creep forward.
I have no problems with taking off after stop, except after going into garage stopping and gently going forward, DSG can start to lurch forward, that is "normal" for the tranny.I still would have shop foreman drive your car to make sure all is really normal.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

Thanks for the reply everyone!

I did not try to bed them, I am at 700 miles now and same issue. I'll try to describe a little better.

Maybe spongy is not the right word, maybe not linear is a better way to describe it. It does feel a little like a DSG surge!

If the car is at rest in drive, when I slowly let go of the brakes to try and inch forward, the car does not move, and then letting go a little more and then the brakes let go and car moves too far to the point I need to brake again but harder. So not linear motion is a better description probably.

could it still be a brake bedding issue?
thanks
What you are describing is mostly normal. Basically with the foot on the brake, the clutch is disengaged and once you release the brake enough it starts engaging the clutch. This is mostly smooth in my experience, but definitely not as fluid as a torque converter given the mechanical differences. Sometimes it can be a bit abrupt if you start from a stop, but then need to stop suddenly. There is a TSB for lurching and bumping so you may wanna make sure your car has the latest TCU update.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you for the information everyone, so it sounds as this is typical DSG clutch engagement sensitivity. Good to know about the TSB, I will check that as well.

BTW comfort mode behaves the same as dynamic.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you for the information everyone, so it sounds as this is typical DSG clutch engagement sensitivity. Good to know about the TSB, I will check that as well.

BTW comfort mode behaves the same as dynamic
Yeah, that's what I think I have felt too. I am sorta getting used to it, but just sorta , as long as it is WAD ... Working As Designed.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

There is one more possibility here that just occurred to me this morning. You might be triggering EBA (Emergency Brake Assist). Based on speed, force with which the brake pedal is pushed and how quickly the brake pedal is pushed after releasing throttle, EBA tries to detect if the driver is trying to execute an emergency stop and if it thinks so, it increases the braking pressure to the point of fully applying the brakes. I haven't run into this with my current RS5, but my 2007 S4 seemed to be overly sensitive such that if I applied the brake too quickly after letting off the throttle it automatically slammed the brakes.