S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Spongy Brake Pedal on Brand New B8.5 2016 S4 DSG7

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spongy Brake Pedal on Brand New B8.5 2016 S4 DSG7

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if something is wrong with the new S4 brakes, I will try to describe the issue.

The car brakes fine when coming to a stop from a cruising speed, but when I am at a light, and crawling, it is very difficult to control the brakes and have the car stop smoothly. The brakes do not catch and then little more pressure then suddenly they grab hard. You really have to work on the brake to try and not jerk the passenger in a stop and go situations. Even worse for me, when I slowly get into my garage, and try to crawl into the spot, it is hard to control and little nerve racking (the parking area is short).

So, is this normal to the Audi S4 brakes, or can something be wrong with the brakes?

Thanks you for your help!
Old 03-16-2016, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default no something is wrong, brakes on s-4 are massive

and work fine. Part of issue may be the creeping DSG does at rest. but your brakes should control that. Have shop foreman drive your car with you with him.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default get them checked

Originally Posted by jyges
and work fine. Part of issue may be the creeping DSG does at rest. but your brakes should control that. Have shop foreman drive your car with you with him.
Spongy feeling means something is wrong
Old 03-16-2016, 11:32 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good thing is you have a warranty. Take it back and have them check it out. BUT I'm a little afraid you will get the standard "its normal". Have you tried bedding in the brakes?
Old 03-16-2016, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the reply everyone!

I did not try to bed them, I am at 700 miles now and same issue. I'll try to describe a little better.

Maybe spongy is not the right word, maybe not linear is a better way to describe it. It does feel a little like a DSG surge!

If the car is at rest in drive, when I slowly let go of the brakes to try and inch forward, the car does not move, and then letting go a little more and then the brakes let go and car moves too far to the point I need to brake again but harder. So not linear motion is a better description probably.

could it still be a brake bedding issue?
thanks
Old 03-17-2016, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't think this is the same thing the OP refers to, since the topic is brakes, but they mention starting out unsmoothly(?). This has possibly been discussed before but I get that feeling sometimes.

I've been assuming it is a quirk/result of the trans...and I'm still trying to find the trick to a smoother start. (Since this is my first DSG) I attribute this, occasional...and brief, lack of smoothness to the DSG. If it was a manual/clutch or traditional automatic that wouldn't happen as the clutch or torque converter would cushion it.

I don't mean to change the thread focus but wanted to make the observation about the 'unsmooth' start mentioned.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have had an S5 an S4 and an RS5...

… all with the 7-speed DSG and this does not sound right. My test would be to compare the behavior in "drive" versus "sport" mode on the transmission. The tip-in, shift points and sound is different. If the brakes feel the same way, then the tranny is not the culprit. There is a tiny bit of lunge/surge with the S-tronic in "sport" mode, which - according to Audi - is why the B9 version is going with the 8-speed tiptronic.

Let us know…

Eric
Old 03-19-2016, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had the same frustration, put drive select in comfort mode and it will go away. When it's in dynamic mode it adjusts the shift points even if the car is in D not S. What you're feeling is the tranny dropping into 1st to be ready to launch from a crawl. When it's in comfort mode it won't drop to first until you're stopped.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Indeed...

… that's why I suggest going between "D" and "S" in the regular (comfort mode - not dynamic)… then you are isolating the tranny as the potential culprit. Thanks for the input. I should have stated to stay in the default (comfort mode) to begin with :-)
Old 03-19-2016, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 2000b5
I had the same frustration, put drive select in comfort mode and it will go away. When it's in dynamic mode it adjusts the shift points even if the car is in D not S. What you're feeling is the tranny dropping into 1st to be ready to launch from a crawl. When it's in comfort mode it won't drop to first until you're stopped.
It happens after a complete stop, then letting go of the brake pedal slowly to inch forward. Not sure if I was clear about that.

Quick Reply: Spongy Brake Pedal on Brand New B8.5 2016 S4 DSG7