S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Soft Paint.......

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Soft Paint.......

It's only been one car (GTI), since my A3. But boy did I forget how soft this Audi paint is. I've read some posts re Estoril Blue but I am here to tell you, I laid a 5x7 manilla envelope on the trunk lid and it moved around a bit. It took me some time w the PC to buff the marks out. I get tinted this weekend, and plan to look at the bare minimum, Stonegard (or whatever), on the fenders and Q panels to protect those areas from wheel kick up. And will consider the front bumper.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have estoril blue and really have had zero problems with it. Now I haven't gone through a winter with it yet, so my opinion could change, but I wash it by hand carefully and never take it to a regular car wash and it looks great (only touchless). I don't have any protective on it or anything, but will put a nice wax on it before winter. It does have some swirls, but any dark color car will.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:00 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Perhaps the type of wax/polish you have used could be a factor. I have been using Liquid Glass for 30 yrs. Very easy to apply and wipe off. After you apply it, it is recommended to then put the car in the hot sun to "cure" it. 3 coats will make it VERY resistant to bird droppings as well. It is very good for making swirl marks disappear. Don't have Estoril, but if I did , I would use LG.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MuRaN0Daddy
It's only been one car (GTI), since my A3. But boy did I forget how soft this Audi paint is. I've read some posts re Estoril Blue but I am here to tell you, I laid a 5x7 manilla envelope on the trunk lid and it moved around a bit. It took me some time w the PC to buff the marks out. I get tinted this weekend, and plan to look at the bare minimum, Stonegard (or whatever), on the fenders and Q panels to protect those areas from wheel kick up. And will consider the front bumper.
I have a Mythos black on it's way and I am also very wary of paint protection. I detail cars and am very cautious with swirls, scratches...etc.

For permanent paint protection check out Optimum Gloss Coat. It adds a permanent synthetic sealant layer which adds a physical layer on top of the clear coat while beading water and contaminants very nicely for an indefinite amount of time. I've found this product to provide maximum protection with minimum maintenance.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My dealership confirmed there were problems with estriol blue

At least they owned up to the problem. My car is florent silver, not blue
Old 11-10-2014, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Psymon
For permanent paint protection check out Optimum Gloss Coat. It adds a permanent synthetic sealant layer which adds a physical layer on top of the clear coat while beading water and contaminants very nicely for an indefinite amount of time. I've found this product to provide maximum protection with minimum maintenance.
I just had Opti-Coat applied to my car over the weekend. Initial results are amazing! I can't imagine it looking any better than this. Props to Johnny @ Distinctiv Detailing!

2015 Audi S4 (Sepang Blue) - Distinctiv_Detailing

Sorry, sun was not out. Overcast and foggy day.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

^ looks great!
Old 11-13-2014, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Very nice!!!
I can't wait to do the same. Your washes are going to be so easy now. Did you seal the wheels as well? It makes clean up a breeze as brake dust just comes right off.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Psymon
Very nice!!!
I can't wait to do the same. Your washes are going to be so easy now. Did you seal the wheels as well? It makes clean up a breeze as brake dust just comes right off.
Yep, had the wheels done too (full barrels). Not on the peelers though, but my new set of VMR V810s. Having them installed next week along with H&R OE springs.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

That's going to look great. I can't wait to see the pics!