S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Smooth DSG shifts - the DEFINITIVE user's guide.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T
Actually it's you killing most of us....

This is so simple: Drive your car to your dealer, and take a test drive in another DSG equipped S4. If it works better than yours, make them fix yours. Done.

It's. Not. A. Challenge.
Ohhhhh. That hurts.

First, you don't have to click on the thread and waste your time reading or insulting me, so nice knowing you.

Second, there are a couple of possibilities:

You are right, and my car is broken. But I had it at the dealership and they checked the software, etc. And in order to drive another one, well, the dealer is 2 hours away, and their allocation is small enough that they were scheduled for 5 S4's this year. Not easy....

You are wrong, and don't know what a smooth shift feels like
Old 03-17-2012, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Actually it's you killing most of us....
Apparently, however, you prefer to write long-winded explanations to anyone willing to readd about how the S4's DSG is such a "challenge".

I just checked: Almost 1000 views of the 2 posts on this topic......

Seriously though I know all of you wish me well, and your suggestions to get iit serviced are appreciated. I wouldn't have posted if I hadn't been assured the car's OK, and that was 2 months ago. With that "seal of approval" I've spent my time learning some idiosyncrasies of the DSG (maybe only my DSG), and wanted to share them for others noticing the same things that I am.......
Old 03-18-2012, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gmermel
First, you don't have to click on the thread and waste your time...
Perhaps you missed the fact that I STARTED this thread??

...You are right, and my car is broken...
Either you are or it is broken - I can't actually tell which.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Perhaps you missed the fact that I STARTED this thread??

Either you are or it is broken - I can't actually tell which.
So you can't shift a manual, huh?
Old 03-18-2012, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Now now....

Stab in the dark here, but are there no DSG owners close by that you could compare your car's shifting behavior to? I assume you gave the ECU 3 or 4 days to get used a normal (non-lifting) driving style too?

When I first got my car, and again after the dealer flash of an ECU software upgrade, my manual up-shift from 1st to 2nd was jerky, very similar to what you've described. This smoothed out after a few days of relatively conservative driving in auto mode and the shift was then completely smooth in manual. The shift while in auto mode was always smooth.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Typical troll: change the topic, use misdirection, insult others, never actually answer any questions or heed any suggestions for addressing the "issue" being discussed - classic "trolling".
Old 03-19-2012, 06:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by chestlock
When I first got my car, and again after the dealer flash of an ECU software upgrade, my manual up-shift from 1st to 2nd was jerky, very similar to what you've described. This smoothed out after a few days of relatively conservative driving in auto mode and the shift was then completely smooth in manual. The shift while in auto mode was always smooth.
^^^ This.

When I first got my car I thought there was something wrong with it, Much better now although I can still invoke the 'jerkiness' with either 'non-smooth' or 'non-purposeful' application of the accelerator.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Typical troll: change the topic, use misdirection, insult others, never actually answer any questions or heed any suggestions for addressing the "issue" being discussed - classic "trolling".
First time being called that.

Ya know, ZCD... you started it. Look back at your posts and, well, I thought I was amusing, while you insulted me and didn't acknowledge I had been to the dealer and didn't address the issue I was discussing.......

A couple of people have had experiences similar to mine. One can reproduce what I'm describing. I may have helpd them. Even if only for them to take the advice to get the car looked at.

But yeah, I guess I wasn't nice. How's that for a crappy aplogy? Sorry, but you got me going.....

The 2 posts prior to yours are appreciated: The dealer told me to expect the transmission to learn my driving style and it would smooth out on it's own. After they assured it was up to date/in spec. It did a bit, but it has been 2 months and the car behaves as I've described.

I love the car. And I am enjoying it more as I am learning to manage the shifts.

I promise that when I get the chance to drive someone else's I will take it. I will report on that. And there will be no need to say I told you so if it's better. I'll kick myself for you.......

Last edited by gmermel; 03-19-2012 at 10:21 AM.