S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Should I buy my son an S4?

Old 07-15-2014, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Great advice from everyone. I think an A3 or A4 is not only more than enough, but these are really, really nice vehicles that most people who work everyday of their lives still not afford. You obviously can, so I don't see an issue getting your son a nice car, but if he starts off with an S4 what's he going to drive once he's out on his own? I'm sure he's smart but not many people exit college and get a job that affords them a place to live plus an S4. So not only is the vehicle dangerous because of it's capabilities, but perhaps it is setting him up for unrealistic expectations when he's out on his own.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly I've always felt that a Jeep Wrangler is the way to go for a new driver, here's why:

they are fun in their own right - but not because they are fast - in fact they aren't fun to drive fast, nobody is going to race with one

they are pretty tough and don't show damage the way cars do

they are still cool, and aren't looked at as some sort of econobox

you can still get them in manual, which means the driver has to pay more attention

they are cheap (relatively) to own an fix

they don't comfortably fit 4 people (barring the unlimited) so you're less likely to have a car full of kids racing around

they have excellent resale value and are easy to unload

you can customize the hell out of them, if you're in to that

or, conversely, a land rover defender 90 (if you can source one) has most of the above benefits but is a land rover

Last edited by StumpJumper; 07-15-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:57 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RickFLS4
Agree with others... I'd say A3 or A4 at best. Cited lack of respect for money and irresponsibility might make me pause to give him anything right now to be honest, particularly with the house party only a month ago.
Based on the other recommendations , I think the A3 is the better way to go.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Give him something AWD, but NA with some bells and whistles.

Safe, fun, and can be fast if you really (really) want to make it fast. That way he learns on something that won't leave him in a wheelchair while he learns to be smart with it (or less likely to).

An S4 is just too much car for a 16 year old. Even an 02 2.7T would be too much. It was pointed out earlier, but all young boys are idiots...it's imbued in our souls. Heck, I'm 34 and I still make some questionable choices (though not with cars ). The thing I have going for me though is experience behind the wheel. Without that, it's a financial liability. And for the record, this thread is now published and there's a record out there saying you were concerned about it. Something you'll regret if anything ever happens... Just sayin'.

Get him something modest. If you've got cash, something modest & exotic. That way he's got something with cache, but also something that isn't as big of a liability... My $0.02 I'm done rambling...

Last edited by Digital_Bees; 07-15-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:10 PM
zia
Audiworld Junior Member

Get him an A3. Tell him to divide his rate per hour by the total cost of the car. This will tell him how long before taxes it would take him to buy one on his own. Let him show you how responsible he really is ++cough++. Maybe in a couple of years, when he saves his own hard earned money he can upgrade to a S4 or S5 with your help. This way you get the best of both worlds.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Is this a joke?!
Old 07-15-2014, 12:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Looking at this again...you live in Florida. Weather isn't much of an issue, stay an occasional rainstorm or hurricane...so FWD wouldn't be off the table here. Get him a Focus ST if you want to be the 'cool dad', or something else new with econobox traits...
Old 07-15-2014, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Muggsy2006 View Post
Not to be judgmental, but you asked....

I would NEVER get a 16 year old newly-licensed driver an S4 or anything like it.
Kids are stupid, even the smart ones.

+1

If you love your son buy him something slower to learn how to drive and instead send him to drivers education events or so called "HPDE" high performance drivers education events, there he will learn how a car handles on high speeds and turns.

He can certainly take your car to attend and you may want to attend as well.

Always remember the best car is useless if you don't know how to drive it!

Last edited by shivamerlin; 07-15-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

why not combine the two lessons?, responsibility and respect for money, match him dollar for dollar on whatever he saves up from working and get him something reasonable for an inexperienced 16 yr old boy
Old 07-15-2014, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I would suggest you shop Audi certified A3's and A4's. No need to get a teenager something brand new.....Make it cool with a nice set of after market wheels, perhaps using the stock rims for winter tires if your location warrants. I also strongly suggest you enroll him in an accredited performance driving school which he will think is not only cool, but teaches respect for speed and the skills to be a competent and safe driver. The Audi Club for Golden Gate, and perhaps others, puts on teen clinics and other driving experience events that you might find helpful.

Two schools on stick vs. auto..I lean towards stick as I requires more engagement with driving and aids in understanding car control and vehicle dynamics..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I buy my son an S4?