S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

s4 vs a6

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s4 vs a6

hey all, this if my first post to audiworld =]
i am currently a member of bimmerfest where we have a couple of members who have audi's..lol
anyway getting to the point, my cousin's (who is a girl) lease is up in another month and shes looking for a new car to get.
she currently drives an '07 clk350 which sucks in every way possible
she needs AWD and a 4 door.
coming from driving a 335i coupe, i was thinking about a 335xi 4 door but it looks goofy, but that car doesn't have the sport suspension due to its drivetrain, so the sportiness of the car is gone
then i thought, hey audi is pretty good, and reccomended the s4, but it might be out of her budget as she only leases
if she was to get the s4 it would be priced with premium plus with dct and Nav.
the a6 would be pretty much stock, but with nav.
the question you've all been waiting for is this, what do you reccomend she get
she only drives two times a week at most, but doesn't need all the space of an a6, but doesnt want a coupe. also she has a budget.
all comments would be appreciated.. thanks ahead of time
Old 08-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

To be honest, the new S4 is a much nicer car than the current A6. The A6 has an aged interior and although the exterior was refreshed recently, it will no doubt be replaced in a year or two, so I think that she should consider that when looking at the two models.

The S4 is also much more fun to drive, whether you're on an empty highway or a city street looking to find groceries. Anyone here on this forum will probably automatically recommend an S4, for all the right reasons. Good luck in your search and I wholeheartedly recommend the S4!!
Old 08-08-2010, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok... again. The current A6 inteirior is ahead of the current B8 S4.

If the S4 is out of the budget, how about B8 A4 2.0T or 3.2? My friend has the 3.2 B8 and its a very nice ride with pleny of pickup.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 248 Likes on 184 Posts
Default Might look into an S-line A4 B8 2.0T or 3.2L

The A4 is a pretty nice car and with the sport suspension may be enjoyable. It does not have the zip of an S4, but it is a fair amount cheaper and available in 2009, 2010, 2011 (though I think the newer one does not have the 3.2L option). The 2.0T engine with a dealer installed warrant-able Stasis ECU chip would have more zip than the base A4. If she wants an automatic, the 2011 A4 8 speed auto should give better gas mileage.

To me, the A6 is a pretty big car (even the B8 A4/S4 is pretty big). I think the 3.0T engine is available with the A6.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

First off,both cars are excellent,capable and luxurious rides.
I drove an 2010 A6 for two days and found that it has plenty of power(same toned down engine),is bigger than S4(except front legroom) and is very comfortable.
S4 is plenty fast stock but still civil around town,comfortable,handles likes it glued to the street,decent on (premium)gas and is a good value considering the technology involved.
A6 will be cheaper since there's more of them around and is geared more for comfort and luxury,just didn't have the snap/spark like the S4 does.
If all out performance is not needed,perhaps she should look into the A4 as this is the same car dimensionally as the S4,is much cheaper,much more available and can still mod it if she wants more power out of it.
With any of these cars,I don't think you can go wrong as I'm a first time Audi owner and am impressed with their quality and powertrains.Good Luck
Old 08-08-2010, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by birdym2003
To be honest, the new S4 is a much nicer car than the current A6. The A6 has an aged interior...
I had a B8 A4 before I got my '10 A6 and I like the interior of my A6 a LOT more than the A4 interior...wouldn't call it "aged" at all, at least not in Amaretto & Black...I'm probably in the minority of those who cross-shopped the A6 and S4 and went with the A6.

Last edited by audi40; 08-08-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Banned

how about an A6 3.0T wagon? That'd be pretty badass when tuned with exhaust to make some good noises happen.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by eli992
anyway getting to the point, my cousin's (who is a girl) lease is up in another month and shes looking for a new car to get.

she only drives two times a week at most, but doesn't need all the space of an a6, but doesnt want a coupe. also she has a budget.
all comments would be appreciated.. thanks ahead of time
Only drives two days (at most)/week and insists on leasing a new car? with a budget? why bother?
Old 08-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless your girl friend is really into performance, I doubt she will really appreciate the S4. But she might. The A6 will be a little more tame but larger and could be more expensive unless Audi is offering any special lease rates??? I bet she would be really happy with an A4 S line. Looks very much like the S4 and leasing at a much lower rate. Softer suspension and better gas mileage. BTW, I was a Bimmerfest member. Had a 335i coupe. The S4 is far and away a better car than the 335i coupe or sedan. Unfortunately, many BMW owners just don't know what they are missing or just don't want to know or admit it.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Also figure that since she needs AWD, that implies that she might drive in winter slop. If so, hope her budget also includes room for a set of all season or snow tires.

Quick Reply: s4 vs a6