S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S4 v A4- Considering getting a S4

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Wow- thanks for the all the thoughtful insight!

I've heard plenty to push me towards the S4. We don't buy cars often so we tend to like the "nice" stuff. For example, the QX56 is a facsimile of the Nissan Armada. Before the recent redesign of the QX, they even looked very similar. You got nicer leather, better sound deadening, real wood, HIDs, laser cruise, etc. on the QX but one could easily argue that it was not "worth" the 7-8K difference. It was to us b/c we appreciated those differences and were willing to pay for them. I see the S4/A4 discussion in much the same light. I actually appreciate that the S4 is not a boy racer car b/c I don't need/want a flashy car for work.

I appreciate the clarification on the B8 v. A4/S4. I should have caught that myself b/c I know the B8 is the same platform for the A4/S4.

Thanks again!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OK, one more...

I can't stand the A4 engine, with that deadspot in power 0-10 mph is just sucky... I'm pretty pissed that we're stuck with a $40k car with a crappy GTI engine and no choice for a 6. I've kept my 2001 2.8 this long because of it.

S4 all the way.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by arU4ic
OK, one more...

I can't stand the A4 engine, with that deadspot in power 0-10 mph is just sucky... I'm pretty pissed that we're stuck with a $40k car with a crappy GTI engine and no choice for a 6. I've kept my 2001 2.8 this long because of it.

S4 all the way.
LOL- Tell me what you really think! Thanks for the input. Looking at S4s on the Audi site and ebay right now.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by keg97
LOL- Tell me what you really think! Thanks for the input. Looking at S4s on the Audi site and ebay right now.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my estimation, the difference between an A4 and an S4 is HUGE. You need to drive both. Forget for a moment the differences in content, you can load up an A4 to your heart's content. The big differences are in the way they drive. And, if your looking at a German sports sedan, they presumably you're looking for something that gives you that experience.

This was posted elsewhere here. But, it's worth a read. as I concur with everything they say.

http://www.autobytel.com/audi/s4/201...review-115636/

Not saying this is you, but if you're looking for something with a badge only, include the 4 cyl versions of the C Class or the 3 Series on your shopping list. Thos are a lot tamer and may be more to your liking.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arU4ic
My Lost Love was a Deep Sea Blue, Fully Loaded 2007 A4 3.2.

I remember that motor giving phenominal pedal response and performance. Ashame they took the V6 out of the A4. It was a very solid middle ground. That one MSRP'd around $48,0 I think with literally everything in it, including sport suspension.

This is why I went S4 this time around. You're just not going to get that connection with a 4 banger, no matter how well built the 2.0T is for its application.

There will certainly be a differnce with how you'll have to behave at simple encounters like Yield Signs for instance between the two motors. The S4 will respect your decision to punch it, while the 4 cylinder likely will not.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm on vacation this week and hope to be able to go test drive a S4 (assuming there is one around me), but I wanted to post this question first. Are the back seats different in the A4 versus the S4? I ask b/c I've got 3 kids and although the S4 won't be the primary family vehicle, I need to be able to get all 3 of them in there in a pinch. Otherwise I'd be looking at a cabrio, but the 2 seat back seat is a no-go!

I've got 3 kids- 8 (no car seat), 5 (booster), and 3 (front-facing Sunshine seat). They all fit in my Acura TSX, which is very close in measurement to the A4, but it's not a long-haul comfortable. That's OK though b/c we have our Infiniti QX56 for family duties.

If the rear seats are the same in the A4 as the S4, I can at least play with the car seat/kids fitting in the back seat at the local Audi dealership.

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2013, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cars are 100% dimensionally identical. The S4 IS an A4 that has been improved to be much more performance oriented than the more pedestrian A4. You get different brakes, seats, engine, suspension bits, trim and other things like the availability of a sport differential. Otherwise the car is identical to an A4.

Originally Posted by keg97
I'm on vacation this week and hope to be able to go test drive a S4 (assuming there is one around me), but I wanted to post this question first. Are the back seats different in the A4 versus the S4? I ask b/c I've got 3 kids and although the S4 won't be the primary family vehicle, I need to be able to get all 3 of them in there in a pinch. Otherwise I'd be looking at a cabrio, but the 2 seat back seat is a no-go!

I've got 3 kids- 8 (no car seat), 5 (booster), and 3 (front-facing Sunshine seat). They all fit in my Acura TSX, which is very close in measurement to the A4, but it's not a long-haul comfortable. That's OK though b/c we have our Infiniti QX56 for family duties.

If the rear seats are the same in the A4 as the S4, I can at least play with the car seat/kids fitting in the back seat at the local Audi dealership.

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2013, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

There are 3 LATCH positions in the rear seat, same as the A4. You could put the car seat in the middle, the booster on one side, and the other kid on the other side. Eventually as your kids grow out of the booster seats, the middle position may be too small for them.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
There are 3 LATCH positions in the rear seat, same as the A4. You could put the car seat in the middle, the booster on one side, and the other kid on the other side. Eventually as your kids grow out of the booster seats, the middle position may be too small for them.
Gotcha- Thanks to both of you. I know that the S4 is one inch wider on the shoulder room so hopefully it is the same or even wider than the TSX.

Quick Reply: S4 v A4- Considering getting a S4