S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

From S4 to S6: First impressions

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts
Default From S4 to S6: First impressions

Finally got to take my car home today and drove it a good 50 miles all around. Im coming from a 2010 B8S4 Manual with exhaust, intake, H&R Sport springs, shifter etc.

First things first. This car feels smaller than it looks. When I've driven the A6 around in Dynamic mode I felt the connection with the engine as I had with my S4. Very similar characteristics but in a bigger (softer) car. I enjoyed it but there was a lot lacking to me. The S6 drives nothing like the A6. The only thing they have in common is how smooth and quiet they are when cruising. The S6 drives like its just a tad bigger than the S4. You can feel the "S" suspension in the car immediately and it felt like home and I wasn't giving anything up to the S4.

This car is extremely hard to drive slowly. I've been driving manuals for 20 years and I was always in control of what gear I was in and how fast I was accelerating. With the S-Tronic its going to take a lot to get used to. It shifts so smoothly and effortlessly that it feels like its floating, nay, flying over the road. One minute you're doing the speed limit and the next you're doing 90. The accelerator pedal is very sensitive and even a minute amount of pressure sends this car into orbit. There is a slight amount of hesitation right off the line but once the car gets going you realize you need to slow down very quickly. Now I know why there are serving platter sized rotors up front. Every stoplight or stop sign I was just taking off like a bat out of hell. Hearing the exhaust, even though its stock, sounds awesome. The V8 rumble is addictive. I can actually say I heard some turbo whine too when I turned the radio off and gave some moderate throttle in the midrange.

The seats are absolutely fantastic, if not better than in the S4. I was afraid to move away from the alcantara as I love love love that material in how it just holds you in the seat. These seats proved me wrong and are very grippy in turns and plant you firmly in place.

Handling wise this car does exhibit some roll even on Dynamic but its nothing that isn't controllable. I was taking care with the new tires but still being aggressive on on/off ramps. I was hitting 40mph with ease where my S4 was touching 43mph with the lowered springs. This car actually feels more planted and less twitchy than the S4. Ill give it to the extra meat on the car maybe but the air suspension really does wonders. The other thing is that even with the 20's and on Dynamic, the car soaks up bumps like its nothing. No teeth rattling or squeaks and rattles. The car just basically yawns and says dont worry this is nothing. I can also say that this car will most likely never leave Dynamic mode. I tried Auto and the car felt ok but not responsive enough. Comfort mode is a joke. I pretty much drove my S4 in Auto for the 2+ years I had it. I probably went into Dynamic just a few times. Yeah it felt great but I just watched my gas mileage drop considerably that way. In this car Im already understanding that Ill be very friendly with my local gas station and have accepted that.

All I can say is if you have the chance to drive one, or even trade up to an S6, by all means jump at it. If not, no worries, the S4 is still a sweet car in its own right.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write-up... thanks for sharing that... I'd love to have a ride in a new S6...
Old 09-26-2012, 01:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hyper, first I suspect that you'll need to update your name to S6. As stated previously, great write-up. I would be very interest to read any follow-up posts (as the miles accumulate).

I agree, there is no replacement for the sound coming from a V8. It just adds to the overall driving experience.

Regarding the future relationship with your local gas station, "gotta pay to play".

I suspect my route will be to order a S4 and wait to see how the S6 evolves but also look at the upcoming M3 sedan. My local dealer still hasn't received their allocation or customer order. Once in, I'll be sure to look at it.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Pictures please
Old 09-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Banned

Fonzie of dip-your-car fame switched it up too. S6 is awesome. Will be fun to see some quarter mile times roll in to see how far fetched or accurate or understated that 12.1 that car and driver rattled off was.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Enjoyed the reading material. Post some pics when you can!!
Old 09-26-2012, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by forza1976
Pictures please
Big +1
Old 09-26-2012, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

So I tinted the car today and hardwired the V1 with the stealth display in the dash area.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Beautiful. Love that estoril.
how about some interior shots of the seats & trim?
Old 09-26-2012, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by TTwdrl
Beautiful. Love that estoril.
how about some interior shots of the seats & trim?
Ok, Ill get them tomorrow.

Quick Reply: From S4 to S6: First impressions