S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S4 Owners w/ No R. Sports Differential .. are you having fun?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I test drove both with and without the sports diff, and both were fun. So to your original question I bet everyone without the sports diff is having fun. However even in a test drive scenario the difference was very noticeable to me, and the first choice option in my book.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts
Default I did not get the SD and I'm still having fun

My B8 S4 with no sport diff still rotates its rear end significantly more easily than my B5 or B6 ever did, even surprized me once, the 1st time i floored it with the wheel cut to jump into traffic. Did a powerslide when the prevbious cars wouldn't have. Fun, once you realize how different the cars are from previous generations.

For those of the opinion that the car is an understeering pig without the SD, I'm afraid I don't agree with that assessment.

I wil also admit to loading up on the daily driver niceties, like the B&O, and even got the shades since my car sits in the company parking lot 9 hours at a time in 100 plus heat, we're at 68 days over 100 this summer.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Go BMW 3-series XDrive if you want understeer, so much so that you will kiss the guardrails on a hillclimb. LMFAO i almost made the saleman at Kelly in CMH sxxx his pants on the test drive when i was comparison shopping for my S4.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by folgen nie
My B8 S4 with no sport diff still rotates its rear end significantly more easily than my B5 or B6 ever did, even surprized me once, the 1st time i floored it with the wheel cut to jump into traffic. Did a powerslide when the prevbious cars wouldn't have. Fun, once you realize how different the cars are from previous generations.

For those of the opinion that the car is an understeering pig without the SD, I'm afraid I don't agree with that assessment.

I wil also admit to loading up on the daily driver niceties, like the B&O, and even got the shades since my car sits in the company parking lot 9 hours at a time in 100 plus heat, we're at 68 days over 100 this summer.
+1. I find the handling to be very neutral. My wife usually drives the S4, but the other day I had it for my commute from work and was able to produce a nice 4-wheel power drift on my favorite on-ramp. My previous 3er would have scrubbed its front tires.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Sport Dif.

I just won a 2013 S4 on an online auction and it's being delivered to me in a few days. My question is how do I know if i have a sports dif or not?
Old 05-13-2015, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by S4Panda
I just won a 2013 S4 on an online auction and it's being delivered to me in a few days. My question is how do I know if i have a sports dif or not?
Get a copy of the sticker or
Give the VIN to a dealer...the system will have the details of the car.

Sports diff is great in the twisties. Makes the car handle like true sports car. Pivots around turns and no understeer. Ordered on the 2014 S4 and is standard on 2015 RS5. Would not order a car without it. We live in the Colorado mountains. City and Interstate driving you can't tell.

Best

Last edited by PhilNotHill; 05-13-2015 at 06:44 AM.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Im one of the BO/Nav/19's/Sport DIff guys...

Bought it that way, never driven one without, so can't tell you the difference.

Im not even sure the front to rear bias on these cars but it feels rear biased to me as the back slides out first.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Able to compare...

My wife and I are up in the mountains every week and have a wonderful 110 mile loop through the twisties that we absolutely love. We have had two S5's and an S4 to compare (I now have an RS5 that I won't add to the discussion at this time - its just a different beast). The S4 had the Sports Diff, both S5's (one S-Tronic, one 6-speed) did not. No question, as things get near the edge of adhesion and beyond, the sports diff is a great addition. However, both S5's were great as well and I enjoyed the little bit of drift that I would get. My sense is that it is completely undetectable at anything below 8/10's driving rate. I would rate the feel as the equivalent of a 2-3 lb adjustment in tire pressure… definitely detectable, but in most instances not really significant.

Happy Motoring,
Eric

PS - I have added a recent shot of the S4 with Erin at the wheel on the Mulholland Snake (photo by Rockstore Photos)
Attached Images  
Old 05-14-2015, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

two full day track sessions. Don't miss it, drove a car with SD could tell a slight difference on the turn-out. Easily compensatable with throttle modulation. I believe sways are a better bang for buck option.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

No regrets...the car is amazing and feels like it's on rails even w/o the sports diff. That being said, I'm sure a SD would be even more amazing. But for regular city/highway (no track) driving, it's awesome just the same.

Quick Reply: S4 Owners w/ No R. Sports Differential .. are you having fun?