S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S4 Not performing in snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S4 Not performing in snow

Hello everyone. I bought a 2014 S4 last fall and I love it of course BUT it is the worst Audi I've ever had in the snow. After almost not making it up my driveway one day I put very expensive snow tires on it but I almost didn't make it home last night. This is my 5th Audi and I'm heartbroken that unless I can figure this out this car will have to go. I've had two A4s, and A5 and and old Allroad in the past and they didn't even need snow tires. It is so bad I checked the VIN just to make sure I didn't buy a non-quatro car. What the heck? Anyone else had this issue and how did you resolve it?
Old 01-12-2018, 08:02 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure what tires you have. But being expensive doesn't necesarily make the tires good in the snow. And if you have Ice, very few tires will give you traction on that surface,but some are better than others. BTW, with the proper tires you should be able to go pretty much anywhere with your S4 barring ice or snow accumulation that are so high that the snow packs up under the chassis of your car. BTW, what tires do you have on your car?

Last edited by DrGP; 01-12-2018 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrGP
Not sure what tires you have. But being expensive doesn't necesarily make the tires good in the snow. And if you have Ice, very few tires will give you traction on that surface,but some are better than others. BTW, with the proper tires you should be able to go pretty much anywhere with your S4 barring ice or snow accumulation that are so high that the snow packs up under the chassis of your car. BTW, what tires do you have on your car?
This 100%. Our cars are mediocre in snow on All-seasons, but are absolute animals with dedicated snows. Nothing grips well on ice.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:23 PM
QS4
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What are you running?

Ann, the picture you are painting sounds like you may have the wrong tires. Quattro is great but having the proper tires for your needs is the key. Having the 'best' tires will give you better grip for their designed purpose but does not guarantee you won't slip or slide.

Most of us swap out our summer rubber with a winter set on dedicated wheels. Some of these winter sets are studded tires... If you are running All Season tires, you may be okay with adjusting your speed, following distance, and earlier braking.

You didn't mention where you are or your driving conditions, but you will always need to 'adjust accordingly' for what is currently on the ground. TireRack.com is a great site to get tire information and read reviews or just reply here with your particular details and we will continue to help...