S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S4 Noob! Please help me understand this car before buying one!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EDIT to that last part: Getting an ECU upgrade/tune as well.

Also, can you not edit posts here?
Old 07-17-2014, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by toneekay
Just joined up on Audirev too!

361/345 is pretty respectful on a Mustang dyno; they're known to read a bit lower than others... I was actually hoping to see in the 400's though due to all the advertising and what not most people/companies say about having Stage 2 or Stage 3 S4's. I'll have to check out some of your posts and vids when I get more time, I'm curious to see what type of performance I can expect from an elaborate mod list.

I was thinking about: S/C pulley upgrade, intake, headers, turboback, possibly a fuel pump and bigger injectors as well (if there are any).
Good, very performance driven site... Again, I'm not a fan of dyno's never have been and never will be for the exact reaction you just had... Sure others have made way more power than me but then they hit the strip and run 12.x with a lower trap speed... So, I prefer to let my times and traps show what the car is capable of... Not trying to be a jerk just hoping you understand why I don't value dyno #'s too much...

Pulley and tune are a must... intake is a must but make sure you go open element, helping a member now with some logging and his MAF values are over 10% better with an open air element one which translates into more power as I'm sure you know... headers haven't proved anything on these cars... The fastest guy has TP's, the 2nd fastest has stock cats, the third fastest has headers, and I have HFC's. DA and temps affect these cars quite a bit based on my 200+ passes and data logging... I'll attach a link to me racing two different header cars with similar mods... You be the judge... catback is for sound mostly... fuel pump and injectors are not needed at this point and probably won't be for stage III... Buy a vagcom cable and a CPS instead of the headers... The cable will help you make changes, pull codes and most importantly data log so you understand what is what with the car... Where are you located?

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2824849

http://audirevolution.net/forum/index.php?topic=2164.0
Old 07-21-2014, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by primetime
Good, very performance driven site... Again, I'm not a fan of dyno's never have been and never will be for the exact reaction you just had... Sure others have made way more power than me but then they hit the strip and run 12.x with a lower trap speed... So, I prefer to let my times and traps show what the car is capable of... Not trying to be a jerk just hoping you understand why I don't value dyno #'s too much...

Pulley and tune are a must... intake is a must but make sure you go open element, helping a member now with some logging and his MAF values are over 10% better with an open air element one which translates into more power as I'm sure you know... headers haven't proved anything on these cars... The fastest guy has TP's, the 2nd fastest has stock cats, the third fastest has headers, and I have HFC's. DA and temps affect these cars quite a bit based on my 200+ passes and data logging... I'll attach a link to me racing two different header cars with similar mods... You be the judge... catback is for sound mostly... fuel pump and injectors are not needed at this point and probably won't be for stage III... Buy a vagcom cable and a CPS instead of the headers... The cable will help you make changes, pull codes and most importantly data log so you understand what is what with the car... Where are you located?

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2824849

http://audirevolution.net/forum/index.php?topic=2164.0
Hitting 11's, impressive! I rarely go to the strip anymore since I do more road racing, but you're giving me the itch to start going again lol.

So when you say open element intake, I'm assuming you mean just having the intake filter exposed rather than enclosed? I've seen the APR one and theirs has a shroud directing airflow from the front of the car. If I grab let's say an intake and catback just for starters, will I need a tune? Or will the ECU automatically recognize the increased air intake/exhaust and adjust AFRs on its own?

I'm in Dallas, TX btw (someone asked earlier), and I'm currently going to go check out an S4 this weekend. Would've done so this past weekend, but the weather was crappy and I didn't want to test drive a car in the rain.

The car I'm checking out is a 2011 S4 Prestige for $39.8k w/ 35.5K miles... Any thoughts on this?
Old 07-22-2014, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by toneekay
Hitting 11's, impressive! I rarely go to the strip anymore since I do more road racing, but you're giving me the itch to start going again lol.

So when you say open element intake, I'm assuming you mean just having the intake filter exposed rather than enclosed? I've seen the APR one and theirs has a shroud directing airflow from the front of the car. If I grab let's say an intake and catback just for starters, will I need a tune? Or will the ECU automatically recognize the increased air intake/exhaust and adjust AFRs on its own?

I'm in Dallas, TX btw (someone asked earlier), and I'm currently going to go check out an S4 this weekend. Would've done so this past weekend, but the weather was crappy and I didn't want to test drive a car in the rain.

The car I'm checking out is a 2011 S4 Prestige for $39.8k w/ 35.5K miles... Any thoughts on this?
Yeah been drag racing since I was 14 when I took my moped... lol The strip is 10-15 minutes from my house so it's convienent and helps me get the speed rush w/o going to jail for doing it on the street...

Yes, the Roc-Euro is an example of the open air intake along with CTS, USP, etc. I cobbled together some parts and such and basically made my own but it's modeled off the Roc Euro pipe... They flow about 10% more air then the box type as proven by data logs and drag passes from myself and a few others... No you won't need a tune for catback and intake as these ECU's adapt pretty well... catback will do less than the intake fwiw...

No clue on the used market, sorry...
Old 07-22-2014, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by primetime
Yeah been drag racing since I was 14 when I took my moped... lol The strip is 10-15 minutes from my house so it's convienent and helps me get the speed rush w/o going to jail for doing it on the street...

Yes, the Roc-Euro is an example of the open air intake along with CTS, USP, etc. I cobbled together some parts and such and basically made my own but it's modeled off the Roc Euro pipe... They flow about 10% more air then the box type as proven by data logs and drag passes from myself and a few others... No you won't need a tune for catback and intake as these ECU's adapt pretty well... catback will do less than the intake fwiw...

No clue on the used market, sorry...
Good info to know about the intakes... I think one of my first mods will be an intake, and then jump into Stage 2 w/ pulley when the time and money allows. I just talked to one of my VW buddies and he let me know that there's a pretty reputable shop locally here that works on Audi/VW and they work with APR!

I think I've gotten all the information I've needed to help my deciding factor in going the S4 route. You've been a great help Prime, thank you again!