S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S4 or ? - Ground clearance? - Decision help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1
Q5 is the most practical for what you want to do in a vehicle.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mlondon
Yeah, this is exactly what I'm talking about! I had considered the X3, or even the X1. But I really like the interior/options/ergonomics of the Audi. Plus everyone says the Quattro is massively better than the Xdrive. The Q5 seemed HUGE to me (I'm 6' 4", but not "wide"). Totally overkill for a daily driver.
Huge?? Compared to the Mini, perhaps. But compared to the S4, the Q5 is actually quite a bit shorter and only marginally wider. Are you sure you're not confusing it with the Q7?
Old 09-03-2014, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Get an A6.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since it's been almost a year and a half since the OP started this thread he probably made his decision long ago. What did you get (if you're even still monitoring)?

Since the OP, another vehicle that I'd consider is the Porsche Macan.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mlondon
About to buy a new Audi after driving a friends MiniCooper for the last year and a half. (a sardine can on wheels). Live in the San Francisco Bay Area and this will be my daily driver and only want to own one car. Just the wife and myself, no kids. Price is not an issue.

S4 - I dont need or want to go FAST but I really enjoy driving a car with precise steering and great handling. I took a fairly long test drive in the S4 and it feels great. And nice to know the power is there in case I need to remove myself from trouble.

However I'd like to be able to take it to some more out of the way places for camping, etc., or other places where the roads are not so great. Not true off-roading, but some dirt roads/gravel roads, etc. I'm concerned about the lowered ground clearance (does anyone know the actual specification? I could not find online).

I'm also a little concerned about using this car for daily urban driving, shopping, parking lots, etc. And I do not have a garage, so it will stay outside. We love the Estirol blue, but understand we need some kind of clear film to protect it.

A4 S-Line - No sport differential, so probably not as fun to drive. A few mm higher than the S4.

A4 - The best ground clearance, but feels a bit too soft.

Q5/SQ5 - Would solve the ground clearance problem, but WAY TOO BIG.

Allroad A4 - Also too big !!

Would really appreciate some input from S4 owners. How often do you have problems with the ground clearance? How often do you not go down some interesting looking road because of concerns about your car getting messed up? Is it really dumb to take a car like this camping, put on a rood rack for bikes, etc? Any and all thoughts appreciated !
I live in San Francisco and have a stock suspension height S4 from 2010. I've driven on every road in the city practically and I've never bottomed out on anything. Even driving up Divisadero or down Fell/Oak at 45 MPH it doesn't bottom out on the hills and "V" joints where the hill meets the fast intersections. It feels like it's going to but it doesn't. I'm going to go about an inch lower with my new setup and I think it'll still be fine.

Get the S4.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by westwest888
I live in San Francisco and have a stock suspension height S4 from 2010. I've driven on every road in the city practically and I've never bottomed out on anything. Even driving up Divisadero or down Fell/Oak at 45 MPH it doesn't bottom out on the hills and "V" joints where the hill meets the fast intersections. It feels like it's going to but it doesn't. I'm going to go about an inch lower with my new setup and I think it'll still be fine.

Get the S4.
Have you taken your car camping (i.e., down forest roads)?
Old 09-04-2014, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Toecutter
Have you taken your car camping (i.e., down forest roads)?
Yeah I've been all over Yosemite including the north country. Up to Tahoe and offroad to cabin driveways but only in good weather. Never got snow tires.

This depends on your personality, but there's also a snob factor in SF. Most of the cars you see are ///M, AMG or S model. S4 is on the low end of the spectrum, relative to what residents have.

You shouldn't need to street park it. You can find a garage sublet in your neighborhood or a lot for $200 a month if you shop around.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by westwest888
Yeah I've been all over Yosemite including the north country. Up to Tahoe and offroad to cabin driveways but only in good weather. Never got snow tires.
You didn't scrape bottom ever? I tried on a simple forest road in CO and promptly nailed a rock. It made an awful, sickening bang and I reversed out in shame. Man, I was certain I broke something. I needed to summon some courage to peek under there, LOL.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Toecutter
You didn't scrape bottom ever? I tried on a simple forest road in CO and promptly nailed a rock. It made an awful, sickening bang and I reversed out in shame. Man, I was certain I broke something. I needed to summon some courage to peek under there, LOL.
You have to be appropriate on a dirt road. Go 6 MPH in 1st gear. Don't go 20 MPH. Even my signature is off pavement on some horse ranch.

I took the Boxster up to Redwood National Park on some dirt trails. You just have to go slow enough for the road condition. Mostly worried about popping a tire rather than damaging the super strong steel under the passenger compartment.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I was crawling when I bottomed.