S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S4 Avant??

Old 02-11-2014, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S4 Avant??

I currently drive a B8 S4 and today I test drove a Volvo V60 T6 that has 325hp to get a feel for the car since Volvo will be sending a few Polestar V60s to the US later this year. Performance wise the Polestar V60 will be on par with the S4. The Volvo was a nice drive and I really like the style of the wagon but I've gotta say that I like my S4 a lot more. I just wish that Audi would sell an S4 Avant in the US.

Have there been any rumblings of selling the S4 Avant in the US anytime soon?
Old 02-11-2014, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pbh5791
I currently drive a B8 S4 and today I test drove a Volvo V60 T6 that has 325hp to get a feel for the car since Volvo will be sending a few Polestar V60s to the US later this year. Performance wise the Polestar V60 will be on par with the S4. The Volvo was a nice drive and I really like the style of the wagon but I've gotta say that I like my S4 a lot more. I just wish that Audi would sell an S4 Avant in the US.

0% chance of the Avant here.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:35 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Forgetaboutit
Old 03-18-2014, 10:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think Audi would say that they covered that market with the SQ5.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Only from Avant enthusiasts. Not from Audi. Not gonna happen.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pbh5791

How does the V60 T6 compare to our car performance wise, must be very close?
Old 03-19-2014, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by togatown
How does the V60 T6 compare to our car performance wise, must be very close?
I actually cross shopped the S60 R Design with that same engine with the S4 and chose the S4. The Volvo was very nice, but the S4 had a much better transmission, was more powerful, and handled better. Add to that that I liked the look of the S4 inside and out over the Volvo and that was the end of the discussion. The Volvo was about $8k cheaper, so that was a consideration, but not enough of one.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Probably no need (from Audi of America's management and marketing perspective) for an Avant. Something about the lack of market demand -- and, well, they've got the allroad (A4 based) quattro. Of course even with the new 220HP 258 ft/lb of torque engine and 8-speed tiptronic, the allroad can hardly lay claim to being any kind of a rival for the performance of the Volvo (Polestar or no Polestar).

Then again, the SQ5 -- for the US market -- ought to satisfy most "station wagon" liking types, even though it does come to the US with the same ol' Q5 ground clearance (to help Audi with its CAFE ratings).

My wife and I tested cars until I could scream -- and we did like the Volvo station wagon (T6 and Type-R variants). No Polestar version was available. I would say I considered the Volvo to be in the top 3. My (and I guess my wife's) top 3 would have to come down to the Audi SQ5, BMW X3 (with the 300HP turbo engine) and the Volvo XC60 T6 Type-R -- in that order. Sure the Porsche was "the better man (or woman)", but it cost some 50% more than the $60,000+ SQ5. The Jeep Grand SRT8 was -- mm "interesting" and actually very powerful, but overall it wasn't quite up to the refinement offered by the Europeans. The Infiniti FX37 (now called QX70, I believe) earned an honorable mention (from me), but my wife said "it ain't got no soul."

She's right, of course.

But the Infiniti made me feel like I was driving The Hulk (in a good way, entirely) -- get outta my way, "puny god"!

Drove but didn't even consider an X6 and ZDX -- believe it or not, some similarities despite the fact that the Acura was, well, "FUGLY."

Apparently the demand for Audi Avants in the US just doesn't justify the expense of certifying them (Federalizing them) for our citizens. The RS6 Avant ought to be the exception -- of course I say this since I would not have imagined any demand to speak of for a $110,000 RS7 either.

But I was wrong.

If you don't want a sedan (S4) and you do want a very nice performance oriented "station wagon" -- the XC60 Type-R should not be discounted. It's a very nice machine that will not be mistaken for a CUV -- and even the mighty SQ5 can't say that.

BTW - we liked the Audis so much we bought two:

1 2014 S4 (Premium+) with the DSG transmission, MMI+, Lava Red Sport Seats, B&O Sound System, Blind Spot monitoring (Audi Side Assist) and Carbon Fibre trim; and,

1 2014 SQ5 (Prestige) with damn near everything on it -- but with the aluminum trim (no upgrade to that, for god knows what reason: oversight on my wife's part?) and the lava red seat option.

Last edited by markcincinnati; 03-19-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The Porsche Macan S is the same price as an SQ5 and has a real DCT, looks better, has a better interior, etc.

So why not that?
Old 03-19-2014, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
The Porsche Macan S is the same price as an SQ5 and has a real DCT, looks better, has a better interior, etc.

So why not that?
Starting adding options to a Porsche. The Macan is only the same price before the hurting starts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S4 Avant??