S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S Tronic Under Full Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicky_do_it
He did not mention anything about the paddle shifter. He was referring to the abiltiy to shift manually prior to 7K using the shifter in the console. He said tapping it forward doesn't work but pushing it forward and holding it does. Doesn't work on my car so I would like to see it for myslef on another.
Oh, I see, so you a have to hold the shifter in place. Now I get it. Man, that sounds strange although it would be nice if you can get it ot work in your car. Have you yourself tried the paddleshifters? I know that metghod may not appeal to you but it would atleast be interetsing to see if it can be achieved that way
Old 12-17-2010, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mark_nimda
Oh, I see, so you a have to hold the shifter in place. Now I get it. Man, that sounds strange although it would be nice if you can get it ot work in your car. Have you yourself tried the paddleshifters? I know that metghod may not appeal to you but it would atleast be interetsing to see if it can be achieved that way
Just spoke to another dealer who seemed much more knowledgeable. They tested out a 2011 S4 immediately then got back to me. The 2011 did not respond the way my car is reacting. They understood exactly how was describing the situation so they are going to see if it is specific programming related to the 2010 model. If so, they may be able to correct it. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicky_do_it
Just spoke to another dealer who seemed much more knowledgeable. They tested out a 2011 S4 immediately then got back to me. The 2011 did not respond the way my car is reacting. They understood exactly how was describing the situation so they are going to see if it is specific programming related to the 2010 model. If so, they may be able to correct it. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
most of these are programming related so hopefully they can fix it. I am surprised that by now there isnt a TSB on it.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

most of these are programming related so hopefully they can fix it. I am surprised that by now there isnt a TSB on it.
I am shocked this isn't a much discussed topic. Either 2010 S-tronic owners are not experiencing it or my driving style is different than everyone elses. I am guessing the programming is different for other 2010 owners and I am the anomoly.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Dealer said the 2011's on their lot do not have this issue and their is no software upgrade for my 2010. I am now bummed that I did not wait for the 2011. Given the launch control and the manual shifting characteristics, I think the 2011 S-tronic has been programmed differently and better.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

2011 isnt necessarily better. i never get the chance to shift early as my trans always shifts at 6100 under WOT
Old 01-20-2011, 02:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think the switch that was mentioned earlier is built into the 'feel' of the gas pedal.

The last 9/10th of travel of the gas pedal you can feel a little additional resistance...this is most likely the switch mentioned earlier which is telling the DSG electronics to take over.

My guess is that the engine is putting out full power just before this switch engages. Gas pedals are not linear any more as they were before electronics in engines began to get more and more sophisticated. Meaning the DSG is working as designed.

Example...Nissan is well known for a very aggressive gas pedal...the first 3/10ths of travel lead to much more than 30% of the engines power. This makes there cars feel much more powerful on a test drive. Someone who takes the car out and feels all that power after just a little bit of gas pedal pressure thinks...'wow...can you imagine what it will feel like when I floor it'?
Old 01-20-2011, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What he said. Try it without hitting the kickdown switch.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well technically in a manual you have to let off the throttle a little to shift anyway in order to not mess the clutch up. So just let off a little bit while shifting I think thats how to keep the clutch in the DSG lasting longer anyway. Just my .02
Old 01-20-2011, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

If I don't hit the kickdown switch then I can shift myself at 7000 under WOT in my 2010. You can clearly feel like you are pressing a button. If you try not to jam the pedal to the floor you will feel it.

Quick Reply: S Tronic Under Full Throttle