S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S-tronic 35K Service dealers unaware of??

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S-tronic 35K Service dealers unaware of??

I've called a few dealers in my area (NY/NJ) regarding the 35k S-tronic service (includes fluid and filter change). Everyone is telling me that the fluid in the S-tronic is a lifetime fluid and "we do not touch it". Previously, that was correct. I received a service update some time in the beginning of 2011 which states "S-tronic fluid is to be changed at 35K(every 40,000 miles thereafter)". I was told by one of the dealers that if you have sports diff the rear diff fluid is changed but not the s-tronic. My understanding is that a "special tool" is required to change the fluid and I have no idea where to get it? Now I'm worried that I'll take it in and they will charge me for the 35k service and its not gonna be done. The motor oil and filter I have been doing at @6k intervals. Is anyone having a similar issue?
Old 03-09-2012, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Audicted2quattro
I've called a few dealers in my area (NY/NJ) regarding the 35k S-tronic service (includes fluid and filter change). Everyone is telling me that the fluid in the S-tronic is a lifetime fluid and "we do not touch it". Previously, that was correct. I received a service update some time in the beginning of 2011 which states "S-tronic fluid is to be changed at 35K(every 40,000 miles thereafter)". I was told by one of the dealers that if you have sports diff the rear diff fluid is changed but not the s-tronic. My understanding is that a "special tool" is required to change the fluid and I have no idea where to get it? Now I'm worried that I'll take it in and they will charge me for the 35k service and its not gonna be done. The motor oil and filter I have been doing at @6k intervals. Is anyone having a similar issue?
It was an error and oversight that it was not included in the original North American manual. It was always the case in ROW (rest of world) and well documented in EU where there was a 2009 B8 S4. They sent in the 'missing' page to all owners, and all dealers should be VERY aware, if they are giving you issues, have them call AoA or AoC as the case may be, and show your insert you were sent.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

When I explain it to them, they look at me like I don't know what I'm talking about. What I don't understand is how did 2 mechanics and 2 service advisors from different dealers tell me the same exact thing that they are lifetime fluids. I had called AoA and they called the dealer and explained it to the service advisor about 2-3 months ago but I was not due for the service at that time. Instead I was picking up the car for the water pump issue as that time. Now that same dealer is telling me the some thing "lifetime bla,blaa". I gotta see if I can get my hands on the service tool. Hopefully, someone on the forums can point me in the right directions. Looks like if you want things done right you have to do it yourself these days.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Already been there. I was considering getting Audicare since it would cover the S-tronic (btw no sport diff). My dealership told me the S-tronic needs no maintenance. I filled out a service questionaire from Audi and chose to have them call me regarding the matter. Audi of America informed me it will need to be serviced. They called the dealer to correct them.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in Canada, I had my Stronic oil and filter changed at 55,000 km. I received notification from Audi Canada months before the 55,000 km service indicating that this service would be done at the 55km service and included as part of Audi care. When I showed up for the service I asked what they were performing for the 55km service and was told this was included. There was a page added to our manuals indicating this service would need to be done. Strange what's long on with our dealers.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh Shi$! Figures! Great! 50 - 60K car and the moron dealers have no F'n Clue! WTF! Audi is a great company in most respects! My S4 is the best Sedan I ever owned ... period! Love it! But it seems there is some communication issues from Germany to the States...ah.. not surprised but really needs FIXED!
Old 03-12-2012, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

I spoke to another dealer and I was told if I have sports diff, that fluid is changed but the s-tronic is not serviced. Another dealer told me non of that is done besides the topping off of fluids, cabin air filter, belts are checked, plugs are replaced and a list of other things that I already have done or checked (besides the plugs).
Old 03-12-2012, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

The S-tronic does get flushed at the 35k. Some dealers are not aware of it cause in the past all the cars were a life time fill. This is new to the dealers, caught me off guard too (Service Tech). If the service adviser pulls up the Maintenance Calculater it pulls up everything the car gets at each Service.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Does the sport diff need an oil change too? If so when?

I just had warranty case for my stronic (mechatronic failure) They have just replaced my stronic oil and packing, so my stronic maintenance has been reset to 0 = a benefit from this warranty case
Old 03-14-2012, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
They sent in the 'missing' page to all owners, and all dealers should be VERY aware, if they are giving you issues, have them call AoA or AoC as the case may be, and show your insert you were sent.
I strongly suspect that page got missing, perhaps under pressure from A0A, to make maintenance costs look low and gain a few extra sales because of it. I think dealers charge around $400 for the service, which would tick off the typical unaware buyer.

But once these transmissions started crapping out in Audis and VWs, they realized it will cost them a lot more in warranty work, so they slid the maintenance page back in. Audi/VW did the same big mistake with the type of oil recommended for the older 1.8T engine. If you looked at the specs required, only synth could really meet them. But the manuals went through a priority list of "if you can't find" that type of oil, then use at least ACEA3. And if you don't have that either, use your typical 5W-30 regular oil. So all dealers used that, and we all know the oil sludge fiasco that ensued, which cost VW/Audi of America a lot of money and a class action lawsuit. They never learn.

It could also be that some service writers don't even know the difference between tip and DSG transmissions. Even after years of the 1.8T Passat hitting the market, most dealerships overfilled oil by a full quart. Why? Because the 1.8T in the Jetta took an extra quart, so of course the Passat must have too While I expect a little more from Audi dealerships, the truth is most dealers of all brands seem to display at times a surprising amount of ignorance about the cars they service.

Btwy, lifetime seems to mean something like 80-100Kmiles

Quick Reply: S-tronic 35K Service dealers unaware of??