S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Same here as mentioned below...
Old 04-29-2012, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeh I notice that as the idle rpm goes to around 650 then I can start to feel the vibration. Mine is a s-tronic so can't raise the rev when idling.

Thanks for the input all. Makes me feel better because I brought my s4 second hand.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm really glad I found this thread, I have exactly the same problem.

DSG in drive (at any temp) is smooth.

When car is cold and you put it in neutral - still very smooth idle.

When car is warm and you put in neutral it idles like its missing a cylinder and you really feel it through the seat.

Sometimes I also noticed when its warm and in naurtral but revs are a little higher it idles perfectly!

It's now clear to me this is down to the idle being slightly too low for the S4 (I'm guessing DSG units). mine is a late 2010 with 14k miles on it.

Very very frustrating..

Any other suggestions or solutions?

I thought it was bad to always leave a car in drive (hence why I put it in neutral at traffic lights)
Old 06-19-2012, 01:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Noticed exact same thing with my 2010 S4. Took it dealer soon after I got it, but they said it was normal, then again, it was not hot at that point so I don't think they had a good idea just how bad it does get. I drove a A4 for 4 days and sure enough, even the A4's have a similar issue, S4 is worst, but not 2x as bad as the A4 possible 20% worst. So, I think I am going to just write this off as the way this car is.

Possibly upping idle RPMs might help, but I am sure sure dealer is willing to do that type of mod.

Many thanks to those you contributed to this thread, I was thinking at first my car had a serious issue.

Glen.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just bought a 2010 S4 w/ DSG two weeks ago and I noticed the rough idle after a week. It appears I am not the only one with this issue. It seems like the car's idle is set too low. Any fixes yet?
Old 01-30-2013, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

yup, my 2011 with DSG is rough too. I mentioned it to the shop foreman long ago. But because there have been a Myriad of other isues, I have given up and the S4 will probably be gone in 2 weeks or so. I will miss her. When she worked, she worked well. Fun driving car. But I will make lemonaide from a lemon and will reward myself with something on an entirely different level by summer or thereabouts
Old 01-30-2013, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by glalonde
Noticed exact same thing with my 2010 S4. Took it dealer soon after I got it, but they said it was normal,
perhaps thats the problem. It normal when things dont work right on an AUDI. Its Begining to sound like AUDI of the early 90's. Lord please dont let it get that bad
Old 01-30-2013, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gk1
I have it too since new, and also believe it is normal. As Construct mentioned aggressive cam profiles are probably a contributing factor. There was even a magazine article somewhere that mentioned the slight roughness of idle compared to the 3.0T in the A6 or A7. Maybe if there are any detailed technical specs regarding cam profile we could determine if this is also part of how they get the extra 23HP out of the S4 3.0T.
not on mine, Mine purred like a litten long after delivery. But at some point, in time, I noticed very rough idle. I thought it was the gas so I emptied the tank and filled it up with 93 Chevron. Still had the issue. The good thing is at WOT, there is no problem so I know its not a misfire. Still, ist annoying
Old 11-01-2015, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default S4 idle

Just purchased 2010 S4, also have Q5 at home and had A4 and A5 in the past. experiencing the same idling problem as many of you have mentioned. scanned the car and only needed transmition software update which I did and that was not the issue, no other codes were found, VCDS scanning used. This vibration on idling is not caused by your horsepower as some of you think , had the pleasure of driving 550hp shelby and some serious vettes and none of them and were on blowers too had this vibration upon idling. not sure what it is but i will start by changing the charger pulley , the belt and spark plugs...dont like the shake at all.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Rough idle, still exists,,,, I just purchased 2014 with 28k miles. I took it to the dealer and tech spent 4 days and said nothing is wrong. I came to conclusion this is something I have live with. This is powerful engine and every time combustion ocurrs, it is expected to feel the bang. In my opinion, nothing is wrong with these engines so drive it hard and enjoy.

Quick Reply: Rough Idle