S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Is Rear Diff option worth it if this is just a daily driver and nothing more?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 07:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 997C2S
I also thought and probably not accurately that rear diff car would be worse in the snow.
What makes you say that?

I can see how the sport diff might make it harder to keep the car straight going up a hill. But it will help in low traction situations.

I'm not saying you're wrong but would just like to know why you thought that.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I mainly use my car for transportation to/from school and got it fully loaded except for the pointless things. I have to agree with the other people who mentioned resale value. I would think this car is mean't to be a daily driver with occassional track use. I plan to track mine in the spring.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you purchase this car, You need the sport diff before the car, absolutely!

Seriously, this makes your car run on rail, even on snow.

Cheers.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

I already think it's worth it even if just for that one time I had an S6 behind me on the motorway and went through a loooooong pretty sharp curve overpass flyover thing and just went through it so fast and controlled it was beautiful. And the S6 either couldnt or didnt dare keep up

I've felt it coming in a couple of times on motorway exits and stuff, it's really pretty awesome

But if you intend to drive it really very tamely, then maybe it's not worth it for you.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

I did a couple of test drives on the S4 and in one of them the SA was guiding me through streets looking for a turn we could do while accelerating. Once we found one he told me to hit it while turning and I could feel the car being pulled into the turn. It was pretty amazing and it was not that hard of an acceleration either.

You should go do a test drive and do the same. That may convince you to get it.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The sport differential is amazing. Every time I get onto the freeway on a spiral on-ramp, I have the biggest smile on my face. That knudge in the outer corner is addicting.

It is a HUGE improvement over my B5 A4, which is an understeering hog. I definitely can see how the S4 is able to drift.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ShadowJet
The sport differential is amazing. Every time I get onto the freeway on a spiral on-ramp, I have the biggest smile on my face. That knudge in the outer corner is addicting.

It is a HUGE improvement over my B5 A4, which is an understeering hog. I definitely can see how the S4 is able to drift.
Agreed - I just can't do it with the wife in the car, my little girl throws her hands up and says "wheeeee!" when I do things like that though
Old 01-19-2010, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

I wouldn't worry about the resale. However, I do agree that the sport differntial is probably worth the price from a fun factor perspective. The cost is insignificant relative to the overall cost of an S4.
The only reason I don't have the sport differential is because I made a choice between two cars on the lot. One car had the advantage of sport differential, nappa seats, 19s but wihout navi. The other car had carbon inlay, and navi. I thought it was more important from a resale perspective to get the S4 with navi. Despite what some may say, perception is important. Perception drives market demand and thus price. Selling a used high price vehicle without navi would be difficult. I doubt the sport differntial will have the same effect as navi but if you have a choice and can afford I say go for it. Even without the sport differntial, I think my S4 handles really well. I don't think you can go wrong.
Did you read the latest car and driver? I can't figure that magazine out. In a previous article, it says the A4 is noisy but it doesn't have the same complaint with the s4. Another article touts the sport differential. In the latest article, they don't seem as impressed on the track. Anybody else catch this?
Old 01-19-2010, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RLiu818 -- so what did you decide after all these comments??
Old 01-19-2010, 04:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hk007
RLiu818 -- so what did you decide after all these comments??
Well. All the current stock of S4's in CA that are under $52K MSRP (my budget) do NOT have rear diff option.

As a result, my only option is to order one built to my specifications and include it. I was hoping I could justify not getting it but based on the comments it seems like I may regret it if i don't.

Quick Reply: Is Rear Diff option worth it if this is just a daily driver and nothing more?