S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Radio / MMI Goes Berzerk .. Anyone experience?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio / MMI Goes Berzerk .. Anyone experience?

OK, here's what happened:

Drove around during the day with no problems. Not a ton of driving, maybe 20 miles all stop and start. No issues.

A couple hours later decided to check the tire pressure; all seemed lower than 41 so I touched them up.

After getting all at 41, I jumped in to update the MMI on pressure setting.

As I opened the door (magic key in pocket) I noticed an odd chirp like sound but couldn't repeat it.

Started the car and radio was deafening just from front left speaker. It was set at 12 and turning it down did nothing until I got to zero. Took a short drive and problem persisted as soon as I would turn up to 1, the sound was deafening. Source didn't matter.

Called dealer, he had never heard of the issue.

Waited 20 minutes (not calmly) and tried again but this time I locked and unlocked the doors with the key button. Problem was gone. ..... We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Anyone had any similar issues?
Old 08-19-2012, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sounds very familiar.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pyro451
Sounds very familiar.
Hey Pyro! I hope you are well. Have you had any more problems like this recently? If you have, I'd be happy to meet up with you and run a scan if you think it would help. I don't know how deep into MMI stuff the cable/software scans though. I was hoping Ross Tech could help with some of the annoying stuff like mix mode and preset mode that clear after the car is off for awhile, but so far no luck on that. More on that below if interested. Let me know if you need a scan sometime.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2805052
Old 08-19-2012, 09:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Pyro451
Sounds very familiar.
Sorta good to know I'm not alone .. it was un-nerving. Now I wince everytime I start it... lol

A few more questions:

1- Your thread said that Audi got back to you on the volume issue - what was their reply?

2 - Have you had continued issues with it? If not, was there a resolution or did the gremlins just move on?

3 - Did a scan ever reveal anything - I'm hesitant to take it to dealer to have them say it isn't happening and find nothing on the scan. Though I guess getting it on record is worthwhile.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Having an MMI freeze or do something funky once in awhile is not uncommon - they are computers and as we know, every computer can do something weird once in awhile. Your dealer will prob not be able to replicate it unless it's doing it all the time.
On the very rare occasion when I get a problem, I just reset the MMI manually and then all is well. It's like rebooting your smart phone, iPad or computer.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow! I am totally aghast! I thought that MMI was totally trouble-free & dependable,you know,just like the DSG transmission. I was making a case for dubious electronics on Audis and was scolded/reprimanded vehemently and told otherwise. From what as been posted on here it is foolish not to have 100% faith in Audis "engineeringf",atleast that is what I "read" on here anyway.....
Old 08-19-2012, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big turbo TT
Wow! I am totally aghast! I thought that MMI was totally trouble-free & dependable,you know,just like the DSG transmission. I was making a case for dubious electronics on Audis and was scolded/reprimanded vehemently and told otherwise. From what as been posted on here it is foolish not to have 100% faith in Audis "engineeringf",atleast that is what I "read" on here anyway.....
Big Turbo, thanks as always for your input. Hope all on the island is going well for you.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why thank you kind sir for the well wishes. I do have to say things are just splendid here in my kneck of the woods,drop by sometimes and have a aperitif'.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Shout out to Zulujams. Thanks for offering to help. I did end up grabbing a VAG-COM myself. Haven't done a whole lot with it, but I did grab one

Originally Posted by Ravaged
Sorta good to know I'm not alone .. it was un-nerving. Now I wince everytime I start it... lol

A few more questions:

1- Your thread said that Audi got back to you on the volume issue - what was their reply?

They said they would note it in my record (based on VIN) in case it had similar problems after warranty. Not much help really.

2 - Have you had continued issues with it? If not, was there a resolution or did the gremlins just move on?

It only happened that one afternoon. Never to repeat itself. Thankfully.

3 - Did a scan ever reveal anything - I'm hesitant to take it to dealer to have them say it isn't happening and find nothing on the scan. Though I guess getting it on record is worthwhile.

The dealer was unable to replicate or find anything in a scan.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Pyro - very glad to hear it was isolated. Maybe I'll stop wincing each time I hit the start button. Still might not be a bad idea to get it on record with Audi though, maybe that'll do something.

And BigTurbo, Sarcasm on an Internet forum ... Hmmmm. I always knew if I looked long enough I would find some. Thanks for keeping that wait so short.

Quick Reply: Radio / MMI Goes Berzerk .. Anyone experience?