S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Radio drop out yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio drop out yesterday

This is weird. I think others have seen this as well. But its the WHEN IT HAPPENED that is so weird. I have had my car since 12/31/10. I have not been back to the dealer for any service yet. I had a small paint nick on the front lower edge of the air dam at delivery and I was hoping to ya know combine a trip. So I have not gotten it fixed yet. I also had rear S4 floor mats on back order since Oct '10 and they finally came in. Only 3300 miles so far.

So I call the dealer to make an appointment and mention that I am disappointed because I have been waiting for something else to go wrong on the car to take it in for, but so far it has been perfect. Service adviser laughs and schedules me for Friday. Then I got out to drive home from work and no sound from any radio source (FM, AM, Sirius). Media sources work fine, phone works fine, all other MMI functions perfect. Tunes and displays program information for radio. Just no sound. Stop at a light shut down and restart. Still no sound. Get home, park in driveway. Restart later to put in garage and everything works fine. Worked fine on way to work. Car is psychic!

I wonder if I should even mention to the dealer if it does not happen again.....
Old 06-15-2011, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Happened to me one time ,went back home ......next morning was fine again .

Originally Posted by RedMagma2011S4
This is weird. I think others have seen this as well. But its the WHEN IT HAPPENED that is so weird. I have had my car since 12/31/10. I have not been back to the dealer for any service yet. I had a small paint nick on the front lower edge of the air dam at delivery and I was hoping to ya know combine a trip. So I have not gotten it fixed yet. I also had rear S4 floor mats on back order since Oct '10 and they finally came in. Only 3300 miles so far.

So I call the dealer to make an appointment and mention that I am disappointed because I have been waiting for something else to go wrong on the car to take it in for, but so far it has been perfect. Service adviser laughs and schedules me for Friday. Then I got out to drive home from work and no sound from any radio source (FM, AM, Sirius). Media sources work fine, phone works fine, all other MMI functions perfect. Tunes and displays program information for radio. Just no sound. Stop at a light shut down and restart. Still no sound. Get home, park in driveway. Restart later to put in garage and everything works fine. Worked fine on way to work. Car is psychic!

I wonder if I should even mention to the dealer if it does not happen again.....
Old 06-15-2011, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

My entire MMI system actually zonked out on Sunday. Had just gotten in the car for a 150 mile drive and two minutes later the radio goes out, the screen freezes, and none of the MMI buttons worked. Pulled over, turned the car, got out, and locked it. The navigation screen remained on. I waited for 10 minutes, restarted the car and still nothing but the frozen nav system. Fianlly 15 minutes later I got back in, started it up, and the system reset.

I'm really concerned about these electronics failing once the warranty is up. At the rate I'm driving I probably have less then 1.5 years until i'm over 50K.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This happened to me yesterday. Got in the car to go home and nothing. Did all the steps you mentioned and still nothing. 10 minutes after I got home I started her up again to pull into the garage and all is well again. I only have 500+ miles on the car. Very strange!
Old 06-15-2011, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

I know there is an MMI reset button combo with 3 buttons. Just forgot it. Figured that probably wouldve fixed it. Ill look it up
Old 06-15-2011, 04:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My radio occasionally wont play any of the higher frequencies of sound on AM. All you hear is muffled speaking coming out of the subs/woofers.

Seems to go away once the MMI restarts though.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BaLLZDeePNYC
I know there is an MMI reset button combo with 3 buttons. Just forgot it. Figured that probably wouldve fixed it. Ill look it up
Old 06-16-2011, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

exact same problem has happened to me! It happened on the day after delivery. i start the car and no radio sound. I know the system well because I had an A4 prestige for a very short period so i know its nothing that i am doing.

So I drive to work with no radio. i get in after work and start the car and the radio is fine. 2 days later I tint the car. I mention this because there was a concern about the amp getting wet and it would cause issues. The thing is my radio sound problem happened before I tinted the car and its only the radio that not working. And I made sure they put towels down to protect the amp anyway.

Then 2 weeks later I have the dealer change out my grille. As I leave, it happens again! Its actually perfect timing because the dealer can now witness it. So they do some reprogramming and say if it happens again, they will change out the amp. That was a month ago. Well it happened again 3 days ago. i start the car and no radio sound??? The media is ok, as you mention. Its happened 3 times now in the 3 months I had the car. i wonder WTH is causing it?

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 06-16-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BaLLZDeePNYC
My dealer tried somethink like this and apparently it did not fix it. There is something else causing it. Someone at AUDI Has to know the cause
Old 06-16-2011, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by patinsd
Happened to me one time ,went back home ......next morning was fine again .
dont be surprised if it happens again. I went 2 weeks before it happend the 2cnd time and 5 weeks before it happend again. Its only the radio when it happens

Quick Reply: Radio drop out yesterday