S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Question on how to drive manual

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 10:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on how to drive manual

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

I drove manual nearly 8 years ago, and now I am expecting S4, I wanted to ask some questions that were habit of mine, but wasn't sure if this is good or bad.

1. Whenever I am slowing down, I always put the gear on neutral, anticipating which gear to go.. So, if I am on freeway and on 6th gear and i am slowing down at exit ramp, I usually slow down while putting the gear on neutral. If it comes to completely stop, then I put on 1st gear. But, if there are still speed, I go from neutral to 2nd or 3rd gear.. Is this a bad thing? or do I need to shift from 6th to 5th or 4th or etc as I slow down?

2. Doing #1 for a long time, I constantly put the gear on neutral whenever I am not speeding.. For example, if I am at 65miles on 5th gear, and I am not just maintaining the speed, I put the gear on neutral. Then if I am speeding up, I change the gear. In short, I constantly put the gear on neutral whenever I don't put on the gas. Is this potential bad as well?
Old 06-30-2013, 10:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Also, I used to use the hand brake on the stiff hill. But I notice that S4 has the e-brake?

Is it okay to put on e-brake on stiff hill to start? and does it auto disengage? or do I need to do the hill and toe thing?
Old 06-30-2013, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always keep in it a gear. I use the gears to engine brake to help slow down the car. I typically go from 6th to 4th when slowing to a stop. i also usually drop down to 4th to pass someone on the 2 lane roads here in italy.

For as you state up above, I dont see any issues coming from going to neutral, but I dont see the sense in doing that.

As far as the parking brake on a hill, it will auto release as long as you have your seatbelt on. Or if you have a Ross-Tech VCDS cable, you can code the brake to auto release without the seatbelt on.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

S4 is set up well to heel and toe. As you slow down, left side of right f foot on brake, right side blips throttle and drop into gear. OK to skip a gear or two if decelerating quickly. Really should not be cruising ariound in nuetral. Find an empty road and practice going up and down in the gears this way. 45 minutes and you will be a pro. Always in gear so you can stomp on gas and accelerate. +1 for OB 1jr response on e brake.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:22 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I NEVER put it in neutral. Makes no sense. If you feel that you need to have car in neutral for some stange reason, just push in the clutch. In the old days, putting the car in neutal was a gas savings trick. You can drive your car any way you like. But based on the question, I have to believe that you are questioning your own driving style. And rightly so.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm with OB - I leave the car in gear almost always (unless at a stop), down or up shift when needed. Before downshifting however, I try to rev match. At a stop, I go to neutral and release the clutch. I haven't had to do any clutch work on all of my cars (except for my first manual transmissioned car). As OB stated, the e-brake will auto release so long as you have your seatbelt fastened.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yah. Old habit. I was thinking I am saving gas by putting in the neutral whenever I am not speeding..

So, driving at 6th gear, if I am not sure whether I will be accelerating or slow down, I automatically put in neutral, decide what I will do, then shift up or down depending on the decision.

I also put in neutral when I was cornering.. I drive from 60 miles to 20 miles in the corner. Depending on the speed at corner, I shift to 2nd or 3rd.

I guess this is a bad for clutch.. but wasn't sure.

Thanks for the response. I will have to adjust my old habits.. I drove this way for nearly 10 years, switched to automatic for 8 years, and back to manual.

I always wanted to clarify my driving habits, but never really had a chance to ask around.

Thanks for the response!

Cheers
Old 06-30-2013, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Here's a pretty informative article on being in neutral when the car is moving:

http://www.pumptalk.ca/2012/07/why-u...e-on-fuel.html
Old 06-30-2013, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you keep your manual transmission car in gear as you are decelerating, your instant mileage will skyrocket. There is something that goes on in the car's ECU with a manual transmission car...if you decelerate in gear and keep your foot entirely off the gas, the car uses little or no gas. This is a hypermileaging technique.

I don't technically know much about it, but someone else here can probably explain. When I plugged a g-tech in a previous car, it did show the mpg's go way up when doing this.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tosehee

I also put in neutral when I was cornering.. I drive from 60 miles to 20 miles in the corner. Depending on the speed at corner, I shift to 2nd or 3rd.
I agree with others about leaving in gear. For safety too... If you need power suddenly due to an idiot driver or animal that darts out, you want to be able to quickly have power to get out of trouble. As for cornering, you're not using much or any of the sport diff or quatro because they only work and adjust power to outside wheels with some gas being applied... Otherwise, you're just a rolling paper weight...

Quick Reply: Question on how to drive manual