S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Probably not the place, but I trust your advice...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may be switching jobs soon and will walk to work instead of driving 56 miles daily. Since I only have one space for one car in the city, I may opt for a weekend fun car instead and not the S4 which is the best of both worlds. I was thinking the same and selling the S4 while it still has good value. I've already put 20k miles in 1 year and hopefully I can still get close to $50k for it. I was looking at the 2012 GT-R, but I love German luxury, especially its interiors. I'll probably keep the S4, but going back to a coupe would be nice.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I've driven both pretty extensively, and they're both really sweet, amazing vehicles in their own right.

The GT-R feels invincible on the road - its capabilities are so far beyond pretty much every other car out there that it's almost ridiculous. The ride, however, is pretty stiff, and it's LOUD, with all the shunting around of the transmission and especially lots of tire noise.

The 911 has a more exciting turbo "lunge" when the boost hits, and is definitely nicer inside, but its ultimate performance, while amazing, falls short of the GT-R's.

One thing you can't get away from though is the GT-R's sheer size. It's huge by sports-coupe standards, and can feel even moreso from the driver's seat, what with its tall-ish front fender lines and limited rear 3/4 visibility.

The 911's sight-lines are far better, and it not only IS much smaller, it also FEELS much smaller and more maneuverable.

Tough choice - only you know which car truly gives you what you want.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NO QUESTION ABOUT IT THE PORSCHE.

THE GTR IS FAST, BUT ITS NOT REFINED AT ALL. ITS A BOYS CAR.

THE PORSCHE IS A MANS CAR.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I love the GT-R, and I'd get it if I was in my 20's. I am in my late 30's, so I'd go with the Porsche. If I drove around in the GT-R I'd look like a well-off single guy who's in his late 30's but still stuck in his 20's, and if I drove around in the Porsche I'd look like a married late 30's guy who look like he going places. I feel like the GT-R gives the same vibe as a souped up Evo or STi. It is a very expensive boy racer. Meanwhile the Porsche is in a totally different class. It's an European sports car with prestige and history that everyone recognizes. Just like the S4 is an European sports sedan with prestige and brand image that everyone recognizes! For sheer performance and outrageousness and exclusivity though, GT-R, because there are simply not that many of them out there.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by awc
Choice #1: Used 2010 Nissan GT-R, 2,100 miles, Black, AWD, Nav

Choice #2: Used 2008 Porsche Turbo, 4,800 miles, Tiptronic, Silver, AWD, Nav
Well Princess Leiah, your Sophie's Choice moment is a fun one.

It must be said that the GTR is absolutely incredible and is arguably the best car in the world. I say that begrudgingly because I hate it. Nothing about it makes me want one.

A 997 turbo however? Far more interesting...and one that I'd love to own. When I was a kid I didn't have any Nissan pictures on my wall, but a fatbody Turbo was up there. That's my vote.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sf_loft
I may be switching jobs soon and will walk to work instead of driving 56 miles daily. Since I only have one space for one car in the city, I may opt for a weekend fun car instead and not the S4 which is the best of both worlds. I was thinking the same and selling the S4 while it still has good value. I've already put 20k miles in 1 year and hopefully I can still get close to $50k for it. I was looking at the 2012 GT-R, but I love German luxury, especially its interiors. I'll probably keep the S4, but going back to a coupe would be nice.

TTR-S?
Old 06-07-2011, 12:04 PM
awc
AudiWorld Member

Well, i've sat back and let you guys have your way (actually, something came up at work thats had me swamped the last coule of days). Anyway, I've thought a lot about it and....

The was I look at it, I might be jumping the gun a little bit. Some circumstances have arisen that I could buy my play car earlier then anticipated. But, someone on here suggested the R8, and that really got me thinking. I love Audi's, I always have. Sure, right now I can't get an R8...but its only about 15,000 off..and I could always find a better deal, you never know. I wasn't planning on getting a fun car right now, and if I sit on the benefits I just got until I was previously planning on making the purchase, then the R8 is deffinitly within my reach.

So, as nice as they both are (and we have all agreed that they are both very, very, VERY nice), I think I want an R8.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

With the real estate bubble bursting, you can get a steal on a used supercar of any kind. Here in socal at least.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Having owned a '07 Porsche Turbo with Tiptronic I would not recommend selecting this vehicle. The old 5-speed tip is not a very advanced transmission and the shift are slower than your S4. The GTR is an amazing vehicle that will literally run circles around that model year turbo. Let me assure you I am a huge porsche enthusiast and have purchased their vehicles for years however I truly believe between the two you'll get the best value out of the GTR.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by TP111
Having owned a '07 Porsche Turbo with Tiptronic I would not recommend selecting this vehicle. The old 5-speed tip is not a very advanced transmission and the shift are slower than your S4. The GTR is an amazing vehicle that will literally run circles around that model year turbo. Let me assure you I am a huge porsche enthusiast and have purchased their vehicles for years however I truly believe between the two you'll get the best value out of the GTR.
don't they have an MT?

Bruce

Quick Reply: Probably not the place, but I trust your advice...