S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Probably not the place, but I trust your advice...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 11:51 AM
awc
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Probably not the place, but I trust your advice...

So, my S4 is my daily driver, and has been for almost a year now. I was always planning on eventually getting a fun, impractical car to tool aound with on weekends and nice summer days. Due to some unforseen circumstances, I now have the oppertunity to do this sooner than expected. I'm down to two local options. I've test driven both, and truely can't decided between the two. I'd love to get some oppinions from you guys, as I trust you more than owners of each, as they tend to be partial.

Choice #1: Used 2010 Nissan GT-R, 2,100 miles, Black, AWD, Nav

Choice #2: Used 2008 Porsche Turbo, 4,800 miles, Tiptronic, Silver, AWD, Nav

In terms of my test drives, I loved the look of the GT-R. It doesnt look like anything on the road, at all. The handling and performance are amazing. However, I wasnt impressed with the interior...it seemed kinda cheap. With the Porsche, I loved the interior. It had the fit and finish of a German car, which I really appreciate. On the outside, though...I dont know, it just looks so similar to other 911s, which are a dime a dozen where I live. I kinda want something unique. The performance of the Porsche, however, was jaw dropping.

Help me Audiworld Forums, you're my only hope....
Old 06-05-2011, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If it was was up to me, I'd run the Porsche turbo. The GT-R is an excellent car though.

Bruce
Old 06-05-2011, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Porsche hands down
Old 06-05-2011, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

I agree with Bruce, Porsche all the way. But it depends on what you're looking for, and I have to admit I haven't actually driven a GT-R. An acquaintance who has one says it tends to only get noticed by "young men who obviously spent too much time playing Gran Turismo." That could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your perspective (certainly people have stereotypes about Porsche drivers, so maybe having a car that looks like a fancy Altima is what you want).

Someone else said it feels really slow on public roads (50 feels like 30), so it's boring unless you track it all the time. But if you've driven it, I'm sure you have a feel for whether that's really a problem or not.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 248 Likes on 184 Posts

You might enjoy both, though the Nissan GT-R might attract more attention from the younger crowd. The Nissan is newer & still under warranty.

Porsche has a good reputation for quality & reliability. The warranty still intact? For how long? Parts/service can be expensive.

I just like German cars for the look & feel, more than the Japanese cars.

I would go for the Porsche Turbo. It's also lighter.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another vote for the P-car. Those things are still very tunable and the engines are almost bullet-proof.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Two of my favorite cars.... This is a tough one.

Both can be expensive in regards to parts/service.

I agree on the comment of the interior on the GTR - seems cheap and platicky

If it came down to making a decision on my part and I could have either of the two but it could only be one...

Porsche.

997 Turbo is not only one of the most beautiful cars on the road. The engine is spectacular and interior is always welcoming. You will be inside the car more than looking at it from the outside in.

Go for the P-car. There is nothing like a rear engine turbo car. It is a dream. Enjoy!
Old 06-05-2011, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

R8... just throwing it out there
Old 06-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If it was me, I would go with the Porsche.

Kind of sounds like you already have a gripe with the GT-R. Last thing you would want to do is pay that much coin and not be 100% happy with the car... Just my 2 cents...
Old 06-05-2011, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by legbend
R8... just throwing it out there
Great suggestion but a decent used model is out of that range I would think. No?

Quick Reply: Probably not the place, but I trust your advice...