S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Potential New B8 S4 Owner...Couple of

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 05:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential New B8 S4 Owner...Couple of

I may purchase a 2013 S4 this weekend and was wondering how the S4 handles in the snow with the 18" all season tire package. I initially was going to go for the 19" summer tires but decided against them since my area can randomly get snow and the temperatures are typically below 40 degrees throughout winter which would deteriorate traction on summer tires even when dry.

1. For those with 18" all season tires, how do they perform in snow?
2. My commute to work is only about 6 miles round trip, will this have a significant impact on the engine over time?
Old 03-21-2013, 07:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a 2013 with the 19 inch and had to buy all season tires because I'm in Massachusetts but obviously that doesn't help. The car handles beautifully in all conditions but as far as the engine goes, I have already packed on 12k miles since June of last year. As long as the car is well maintained(oil, fluids, not letting the tank drop near E) then it will run smooth. My car runs perfectly and don't expect any less in the future.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm sorry, I only stated the obvious but my buddy's TT has 120k and has been his everyday driver with about the same mileage per day as you are assuming. He also lives in MA and his car looks and runs just as nice as it did from day one.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Get the 19" summer tires and get a dedicated set of 18s with snow tires from TireRack or some other place that you switch on and off. I live in Westchester, NY and my S4 is my daily driver no matter the weather. With snow tires it's unstoppable. All season tires are not good at any one thing. Plus, you drive with the less expensive wheels all winter, hitting the potholes. Meanwhile your summer wheels and tires stay all shiny ready to make their debut in Spring. Believe me this is the best way to go.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by stylez09
I may purchase a 2013 S4 this weekend and was wondering how the S4 handles in the snow with the 18" all season tire package. I initially was going to go for the 19" summer tires but decided against them since my area can randomly get snow and the temperatures are typically below 40 degrees throughout winter which would deteriorate traction on summer tires even when dry.

2. My commute to work is only about 6 miles round trip, will this have a significant impact on the engine over time?
If you order the all season tires, the speed limiter will be set the lower 130 mph vs 155 mph if you have the summer tires. See this thread for details

https://forums.audiworld.com/archive...t-2836057.html
Old 03-21-2013, 11:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by stylez09

I debated the same issue before ordering my 2013 S4 in January. The 85 inch average winter snowfall in West Michigan makes snow/ice driving a real concern. Based on looks and comments here, I went with the 19 inch summer tire/wheel package and am ordering 18 inch BBS wheels with Michelin Pilot Alpine 4's from TireRack.

I figured this gave the best of both worlds.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:23 AM
jgd
Banned

Originally Posted by ghbmd
Get the 19" summer tires and get a dedicated set of 18s with snow tires from TireRack or some other place that you switch on and off. I live in Westchester, NY and my S4 is my daily driver no matter the weather. With snow tires it's unstoppable. All season tires are not good at any one thing. Plus, you drive with the less expensive wheels all winter, hitting the potholes. Meanwhile your summer wheels and tires stay all shiny ready to make their debut in Spring. Believe me this is the best way to go.
+1
Old 03-22-2013, 08:41 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 19" A/s tires and previously ran 18" A/S tires on my B6 S4. You will get around fairly well in the snow. BUT, you will go much better in the snow and stop a lot shorter with dedicated snow tires. You will do just fine if you area doesn't get large accumulations or frequent snow. Just not as well as with snow tires. FYI, S4s that come from the factory with A/s tires have a 130 mph speed limiter instead of the normal 155mph SL.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

How many miles can you go on the 19" summer tires before replacing?????
Old 03-24-2013, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Why not drop an extra $1000-1500 for a set of winter wheels with the best seasonal tires for your region and running the 19" summers the rest of the time?

Quick Reply: Potential New B8 S4 Owner...Couple of