S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016
View Poll Results: What transmission did you get
6 speed manual
44.40%
That trick automatic
51.29%
I don't own or didn't order a B8 S4
4.31%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Is your B8 S4 manual or auto

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poll: Is your B8 S4 manual or auto

I'm the kind of person that thinks these cars shouldn't come with an automatic, at least for the first year. I'm curious how many people actually order the auto.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:22 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You do realize that the S4 is not available with an automatic(torque converter) transmission. The S tronic is a true manual transmission with dual electronically controlled clutches. Yes you can put it in drive and just go. No there is not a clutch pedal. But it is NOT an automatic transmission in the true sense of the word. BTW, I have the 6MT.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by westwest888
I'm the kind of person that thinks these cars shouldn't come with an automatic, at least for the first year. I'm curious how many people actually order the auto.
Why does it make a difference if they're offered with an S-Tronic transmission? You had the manual choice available to you, so why do you even care if another choice is offered to others. That's kinda like saying "I ordered a red car, and no other colors should be offered because I prefer red"
Old 06-12-2010, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
You do realize that the S4 is not available with an automatic(torque converter) transmission. The S tronic is a true manual transmission with dual electronically controlled clutches. Yes you can put it in drive and just go. No there is not a clutch pedal. But it is NOT an automatic transmission in the true sense of the word. BTW, I have the 6MT.
With all due respect to everyone on this forum, the S tronic IS NOT an manual transmission. Its a great transmission, but please don't fool yourself. I test drove the car with both before I ordered and they both are amazing. It comes down to personal preference. I enjoy nothing more then going through the gears and some heal toe action. I personally would never buy a car like this with an automatic. The six speed is so silky smooth and I am just in love with my car. Unfortunately driving manual is becoming a lost art and within 10 years i doubt any cars will still have manual transmissions. Ferrari has already done away with the six speed. It'll be a sad day when manual transmissions are no longer available.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nal13
With all due respect to everyone on this forum, the S tronic IS NOT an manual transmission.
This is merely your opinion. It's an automated manual, not an automatic.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
This is merely your opinion. It's an automated manual, not an automatic.
This is from the automotive dictionary, the first hit if you type those terms in google http://www.motorera.com/dictionary/MA.HTM

Manual Transmission
(MT or M/T) A Transmission system in which gears are selected by the Driver by means of a hand-operated Gearshift and a foot-operated Clutch. In a Motorcycle the Clutch is hand-operated and the gearshift is foot-operated. Contrasts with an Automatic transmission. Also called a standard transmission.

No foot clutch = automatic. Not a opinion. Actually a fact. The S tronic is great very tech savy tranny, and I understand why people would buy it. Probably smoother and i believe it matches up shifts and downshifts. But no foot clutch = no manual.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 248 Likes on 184 Posts
Default Why are some of manual transmission owners so angry?

Why are some of manual transmission owners so angry? They had the option to get a manual transmission (which was cheaper than the DSG). This has NOT always been true for people that need an automatic for health reasons. The RS4 was not available with an automatic. The B5 S4 could not sustain much HP modification with an automatic, since the transmission was too weak. This really limited the performance of the Tiptronic B5 S4.

All the late model Shelby & Cobra Mustangs were only manual transmission. The Z06 only comes with manual. The Lotus Elise, WRX STI, Mazdaspeed3 are only available with a manual.

The choices for an automatic performance car are already more limited than the choices for a manual.

Not everyone will be able to enjoy the manual transmission, for various reasons, one of them being health. There is no need to be transmission ****. Freedom of choice with having both transmission options is a good thing.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

I still struggle with why so many people have issues with calling it an automatic. So what? It doesn't change the technology. It is what it is. An excellent transmission. People can call it whatever theynwant as far as I'm concerned. Doesn't change my opinion of it one bit.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
I would not put it in the same league as BMW's SMG or DTG transmissions. If it has P-R-N-D-L, it's an automatic. If it has a joystick that says + - then it's a manual with automatic shifting. IMO.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by westwest888
This thread can easily devolve into a flame war. It's just as easy for me to say that a car like this shouldn't be offered with an old-fashioned manual transmission when technology has long since moved on. (That's not what I'm saying, but you get the idea...)

Also, wouldn't "true" drivers actually scoff at the S4 with all of it's technological aids? A "real" driver would take a car with no technical aids and truly shine, like taking an old-school rear-drive Toyota AE86 and drift circles around everyone. Now that's impressive.

An S4 is simply for those of use who can afford cars like these. I picked the S-Tronic since the cost was negligible and it's a superior technology.

Quick Reply: Poll: Is your B8 S4 manual or auto