S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Polishing/Cleaning Tail Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

DC, you can use Flitz Metal Polish which can be found at ACE Hdwe. That works as well as the other metal polishes.

I can tell ya, if the tips haven't been cleaned on a regular basis, they're a serious PIA to get looking new again. I've spent some time on my wife's Avant and simply cannot get them back to like-new condition.

On my A4, I got them looking good and followed up with the OptiCoat product which makes the weekly cleaning MUCH easier.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
DC, you can use Flitz Metal Polish which can be found at ACE Hdwe. That works as well as the other metal polishes.

I can tell ya, if the tips haven't been cleaned on a regular basis, they're a serious PIA to get looking new again. I've spent some time on my wife's Avant and simply cannot get them back to like-new condition.

On my A4, I got them looking good and followed up with the OptiCoat product which makes the weekly cleaning MUCH easier.
Yeah, I tried to clean them yesterday without any specialty cleaners. I just used 409, but no luck...
Old 07-05-2012, 04:34 AM
riu
AudiWorld Member

I have not cleaned mine in a while.... After reading this I am not looking forward to it.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

I second the 0000 steel wool if it's been a while. You might even need to scrap some baked on chunks off like I had to do. Use a stiff plastic tool so that it is less like to scratch.
I used this stuff on my steel wool:
Amazon Amazon
Wiped off then used it on a rag. Removed again with microfiber. They look great and less stuff sticks to them now.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I like to use 0000 steel wool with Optimum Metal Polish. Great combination that makes short work of the accumulated build up without too much elbow grease. I'd strongly recommend (at a minimum) wearing disposable gloves as it's a pretty messy process though.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Liberon makes some great steel wool, if you thought it was all the same.
http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/i...did=lb-0440.xx

Nice that it's available in rolls, a few inches wide by about 1/4" thick which is great for wrapping around things and scrubbing back and forth (like tail pipes) or getting between things. Available at most online or brick and mortar woodworking stores. Next to no shedding of steel threads due to the way its manufactured. But the smallest roll is fairly big so not very practical if this would be your only use for it.

3M scotchbrite pads are another alternative. The white is equivalent to #0000, and various other colors have "steel wool equivalents" but I forget off the top of my head. Let's see what Google says...here's the info:
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...002-8008-8.PDF
Old 07-06-2012, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I use Flitz when I have time, I use it on my boat's stainless as well, I'm not ambitious enough to steel wool them
Old 07-06-2012, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have used oven cleaner on my exhaust tips and it worked very well. The grime is "baked on" so I thought Easy-Off would work and it did. Take care to keep the cleaner off of the painted surfaces. I soaked paper towels in it and wrapped them around the tips and left them for about 20 minutes. After that I used a chrome polish to finish the job.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

thats actually a good idea...

Thanks for the insight.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'd be careful with steel wool. It can leave tiny bits of steel behind that will rust. I've used Chemical Guys Metal Wax on my exhaust tips and the look new. I've never let them get seriously filthy though.

Quick Reply: Polishing/Cleaning Tail Pipes