S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Official S4 EPA fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 02:43 PM
L0U
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

if a thug in a bmw is chasing you on the highway, you can out distance them in the end. well unless he has the disel.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sure care about gas mileage. I want to drive an exciting car, but I'd really like to see this country end its reliance on foreign oil. If I can use less gas and have more fun, sign me up. The new S4 will do the trick until the next generation S4 comes in a bodyshell more like the size of the B6/B7, weighs 400 pounds less than the B8S4, and is powered by a 275 HP twin turbo 4 that gets 25/40 MPG.

I own a 2005 Acura RL now, and gets maybe 16 city and 26 highway. I was going to buy a 2010 A4 2.0 or an A5 2.0. The S4 is powerful enough that I might be willing to take a less agressive improvement in mileage in return for a ton more fun
Old 07-22-2009, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3.0 TDI would have been a sweet compromise between power and economy...

Would have had to thought a lot longer about moving to the s4 if it was available.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by vogeygolf
I sure care about gas mileage. I want to drive an exciting car, but I'd really like to see this country end its reliance on foreign oil. If I can use less gas and have more fun, sign me up. The new S4 will do the trick until the next generation S4 comes in a bodyshell more like the size of the B6/B7, weighs 400 pounds less than the B8S4, and is powered by a 275 HP twin turbo 4 that gets 25/40 MPG.

I own a 2005 Acura RL now, and gets maybe 16 city and 26 highway. I was going to buy a 2010 A4 2.0 or an A5 2.0. The S4 is powerful enough that I might be willing to take a less agressive improvement in mileage in return for a ton more fun
Well you are a bit optimistic with the 25/40 figures. The base A4 isn't even close to those figures, neither is the light TTS with a 265 hp engine. The S4 does look to be a good combination of power and efficiency.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

"I do. Not everybody bought their car with Daddy's money and have Mommy's gas card to use at the pump. And even if money were no object, there's the environmental impact. Plus the fact that competition for increasingly scarce natural resources like fossil fuels have led many nations to engage in questionable foreign policy agreements and wars that put the lives of our family members and friends at risk."

Oh spare me...my dad died when I was 12, my mother signed for my first car loan out of engineering school, but I made every payment....and thats it. Mommy and for sure my daddy have not bought me gas or cars in over 30 years.

Go buy a Prius or something if all the above crap concerns you...we have plenty of gas, I don't care about carbon footprints, or gas prices. I'm old school, not green school. I'll think of you as my B6 S4 swallows gas as I go out and spew carbon just for the FUN hell of it as I strafe the backroads.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RVTS4
Go buy a Prius or something if all the above crap concerns you...we have plenty of gas, I don't care about carbon footprints, or gas prices. I'm old school, not green school. I'll think of you as my B6 S4 swallows gas as I go out and spew carbon just for the FUN hell of it as I strafe the backroads.

wow.

and ew.

(yes, I created an account just to say that.)
Old 07-27-2009, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I ordered a B8 S4, it should be here at the end of August. I ordered it before knowing the fuel mileage, so obviously the efficiency is not a big deal to me. On the other hand the less I have to spend on fuel the better! RVTS4 is acting like $50K is a lot to spend on a car? It seems the way he sees things if you have enough money to spend that much on a car you have so much excess cash that it doesn't matter how much you spend on gas? I guess it is all relative, to me that is kind of cheap compared to my other cars. I would imagine if you took a pole with people that spend a whopping $50K on a car most would at least be interested in spending less on gas.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts

Getting great power, or getting good fuel economy out of an engine could be achieved by low tech, however, achieving both with the same engine, along with other refinements, that is high tech. And I would like to have such advance tech in my next S4.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

oh come on, if you were really that worried about that(carbon footprint, wars resulting from world fuel demand, etc..) you'd never consider an s4 and would drive a hybrid or ride your bike. the simple fact that we're all on audiworld is statement enough that our top concern isn't that of fuel economy. It's fun, soul, speed, comfort, etc...just playing devils advocate. my main concern about the new fuel estimates is $ out of my pocket, if it wasn't, then I'd drive a four-banger with 120hp or whatever...
Old 07-29-2009, 09:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dizzle
oh come on, if you were really that worried about that(carbon footprint, wars resulting from world fuel demand, etc..) you'd never consider an s4 and would drive a hybrid or ride your bike. the simple fact that we're all on audiworld is statement enough that our top concern isn't that of fuel economy. It's fun, soul, speed, comfort, etc...just playing devils advocate. my main concern about the new fuel estimates is $ out of my pocket, if it wasn't, then I'd drive a four-banger with 120hp or whatever...
You're kind of missing what others are saying above... this isn't an either/or situation. You can have a fun, fast, comfortable ride and be proud that the brand has achieved similar performance on less fuel.

Just because I'm excited that the new S4 uses ~25% less gas than the previous V8 doesn't mean I ONLY care about my wallet or I MUST hug trees, quit the audi forum, and buy a prius.

Come on people. Stop trolling and trying to polarize the forum for no reason.

Quick Reply: Official S4 EPA fuel economy