S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Not front plate in WA state?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not front plate in WA state?

I am thinking of not installing the front plate in Washington state. IMHO the white S4 looks much better without a front plate.

I see a couple of Washington friends here, what's your experience on this? Did you just put up the plate, or did you get any tickets for the missing plate?

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2011, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by KevinHee
I am thinking of not installing the front plate in Washington state. IMHO the white S4 looks much better without a front plate.

I see a couple of Washington friends here, what's your experience on this? Did you just put up the plate, or did you get any tickets for the missing plate?

Thanks!
Just be ready to pay to play. A lot depends on where you live...

If you plan on parking in downtown seattle or bellingham, be ready to get a ticket.

If you live near any bored cops, be ready.

You can go years without being caught... I think I made it like 7. The car that finally got nailed? My 2003 NSX after leaving Triple X Rootbeer in Issaquah. I thought that car would never be on anyones radar. Oh well. I don't think I ever had plates on my B6 S4 or S6... or half of my other cars for that matter.

I run plates on my cars now, just not worth the hassle imo. It's only a fix it ticket, so if you have extra time to mess around, then go for it. If a cop pulls you over for speeding, they can add it to the bill... parking police can get you too.

Oh hey, look at my sig. lol This is not how the car was driven...
Old 12-12-2011, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What Doc said exactly. I've lived in Sammamish and now in the Bothell area and have not had any issues. If you are downtown and in a garage you are ok, it's public parking where a meter maid will nail you. They see this as easy money in a hard economy so they will gladly do it.

That said, I ran my G35 coupe 5.5 years without ever getting nailed (even when pulled by a local cop for speed once and he hit me facing him with laser), I have been without a front plate for 2 years in 10 more days with teh S4, still not a problem (also got pulled by WSP once and he let me go but mentioned the lack of the plate).
Old 12-12-2011, 10:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrVolkl
Just be ready to pay to play. A lot depends on where you live...

If you plan on parking in downtown seattle or bellingham, be ready to get a ticket.

If you live near any bored cops, be ready.

You can go years without being caught... I think I made it like 7. The car that finally got nailed? My 2003 NSX after leaving Triple X Rootbeer in Issaquah. I thought that car would never be on anyones radar. Oh well. I don't think I ever had plates on my B6 S4 or S6... or half of my other cars for that matter.

I run plates on my cars now, just not worth the hassle imo. It's only a fix it ticket, so if you have extra time to mess around, then go for it. If a cop pulls you over for speeding, they can add it to the bill... parking police can get you too.

Oh hey, look at my sig. lol This is not how the car was driven...

How much was the ticket cost for no front plate?
Old 12-13-2011, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I live in Belltown and have never gotten a front license plate ticket when I've driven around or parked in downtown. Suppose I've been fairly lucky. I've only been here for a little over a year, though.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't run one either. A LOT of the cars on the Eastside aren't running it. The few times I'm in DT Seattle I'm in a parking garage. Knock on wood nothing yet.

I think it's a $130 fix-it ticket...
Old 12-13-2011, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

LOL thanks guys! I have decided to try my luck and order without a front plate holder.

Fingers crossed! And I will definitely avoid street parking in Seattle. I think I rarely go to Seattle before the street parking becomes free anyway (presumably after which time the parking police will go home?).
Old 12-13-2011, 01:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I live in Bellevue and I havent EVER had a front plate in my 8 years of driving, nor have either of my parents. I do notice a lot of people as well on the Eastside without a front plate.

As for downtown Seattle, it is where I work and park almost daily. I have gotten tickets on the street here and never had them mention the front plate (even when arguing with the issuer of the ticket lol)

Knocking on wood.