S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

No suspension option on the MMI ADS menu

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No suspension option on the MMI ADS menu

I've got a 2011 S4 with ADS and Sport Diff. Weirdly, when I go into MMI to change the individual settings, I only see Engine, Steering, and Differential, no suspension. When I change from preset Comfort to Dynamic, there is a very noticeable change in the suspension stiffness, so I know the hardware is there. Why can't I change the suspension settings as part of Individual mode?

Sorry if this question has been asked a million times -- I tried but couldn't find any info on this anywhere.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the full ADS is a separate package. where you can control the suspension and steering ratio. If you just have the sports diff option you only get 3 choices instead of 5
Old 04-08-2012, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So then am I actually controlling the suspension by using the console buttons to go from dynamic mode to comfort mode? I use this all the time for driving back and forth from the city, and I am certain that I can very the suspension firmness. Have I have been imagining that all this time??

Is the only thing I'm actually missing the ability to assign suspension settings to individual mode?

The car has the prestige package and the differential...
Old 04-08-2012, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by violinguy
So then am I actually controlling the suspension by using the console buttons to go from dynamic mode to comfort mode? I use this all the time for driving back and forth from the city, and I am certain that I can very the suspension firmness. Have I have been imagining that all this time??

Is the only thing I'm actually missing the ability to assign suspension settings to individual mode?

The car has the prestige package and the differential...
Sorry -- forgot to mention -- my steering ratio is also DEFINITELY variable. In comfort mode, the ratio is really quick, and in dynamic it's less so. Again, is the functionality all there but I'm just missing the ability to customize the individual setting with it and instead have to use the three presets?

If so, I'm confused about how the car decides which suspension and steering settings to use when I'm in Individual mode.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

with full ADS you get 5 options, what you are talking about is the steering weight, not ratio
Old 04-10-2012, 03:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Bad news

It sounds like you have the sport diff, but not the full ADS. I have the full ADS and there are 4 settings:
-Engine/gearbox
-dyn steering
-active diff
-suspension

You can ask your dealer to check the vin or something, but there is no other menu to adjust the individual suspension settings.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It'll probably be easier to just check the window sticker whether or not the vehicle has full ADS.

It does sound like the OP has full ADS, because I think it would be pretty hard to imagine a change in the steering ratio or suspension if it wasn't really happening.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

if there is 3 options he does not have the full if there are more than 3 he does its that simple . I have the 3 options and I just have the sports diff and not the full ads
Old 04-11-2012, 07:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Interesting, I thought I had full ADS. On my menu I have engine/gearbox, dyn steering and sport diff. I am missing the suspension option. Does this mean I don't have that feature of the ADS?
Old 04-11-2012, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

what I found on another audiworld post

12-19-2011, 02:42 PM
Here's what I pieced together from reading many threads on ADS. This may be a bit too simplistic, but the $3950 ADS option (must also order prestige package since last year), which includes the sport differential option, does 2 main things compared to adding SD alone:

1). It increases the soft-to-firm "ride feel" range compared to SD alone.
2). It adds "dynamic steering" to vary the steering ratio.

A non-SD car (which implies non-ADS as well) does not implement #1 or #2 either.

To elaborate on #1, the "cushy" comfort suspension mode goes softer than in non-ADS S4's. Electronic-controlled shock damping is added to ADS-equipped S4's, as well as fixed suspension changes (e.g. smaller rear anti-sway bar to permit more body roll on the soft end of the scale). At the other, firmer end of the scale (in dynamic mode), the shock damping is set to very firm (it has to overcome the smaller anti-sway bar) and is more firm than a non-ADS car with SD in dynamic mode (but you can adjust this to softer in individual mode).
Someone posted a graph of the suspension damping differences between ADS and non-ADS once, but I can't find it.

To elaborate on #2, ADS adds the ability to change the steering ratio (dynamic steering) versus driving conditions. On non-ADS cars with SD only, you (or the car's computer) cannot change the steering ratio; only the power steering assist can be changed, to make the steering wheel effort less or more, but at a fixed ratio.

Now for the buttons/selections differences:

Both ADS and SD equipped cars have the comfort/auto/dynamic/individual console buttons. However they do different things since the ADS car can adjust suspension damping and steering ratio within each of those selections.

Both ADS and SD equipped cars with s-tronic delete the "S" selection on the shifter lever. You select the dynamic mode button instead (but dynamic mode does more than selecting "S" on a non-ADS or non-SD car)

If you have the nav/MMI, you can program the effect of pressing the "individual" button. With ADS (which implies you have nav because you must have prestige) you can control more variables via MMI (damping and steering ratio), compared to a car with SD alone and nav.

There are also some vag-com mods you can make on non-ADS, non-SD cars to give a subset of some of the engine/tranny adjustments. But that's not something I have much info on since I wasn't interested in that configuration.

I think that about covers it. Others please add any corrections/clarifications.

Quick Reply: No suspension option on the MMI ADS menu