S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Need your suggestion on a paint work (on a less than 7 days new car)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need your suggestion on a paint work (on a less than 7 days new car)

When I picked up my car on Monday, I found there is a small paint damage in the side of rear window (driver side). The dealer said they will fix it so my SA gave me a repair document.

Today I visited 5 body shops to get an idea how this damage can be fixed. 3 of them said I need to re-paint whole right side from front to rear. 2 of them said it is not worth to fix it because you will never get a better paint work than the factory paint.

I asked the last shop if it is possible just to re-paint the small area, he said since my car is white, it should be ok to just blend the damage area and should turn out good.

From my understanding, the factory paint is really good because it went through lots of process and was baked in very high temperature (400F?). So I really don't want to take it off especially whole right side. Now I have 3 options.

1. Leave it as is.
2. Try to re-paint damage area only.
3. Re-paint whole right side.

If you were me, what option would you choose? (Or any other suggestions?)

Thanks.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can't tell if the scratch is down to the paint level. If it's just a clearcoat scratch - that is easily buffed out. I had one of those on mine too and it was taken care of. It it is down to the paint - buy the touch up paint from Audi (ibis white) and have someone touch up and re buff the area with a sealant.

Body shops will always steer you to the repaint the whole panel/side of a car - beware!
Old 09-02-2010, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd never repaint a panel because of a small scratch like that. Scratches and dings will happen no matter how careful you are. Either use Dr Colorchip over the spot or have it profesionally touched up and buffed.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by surgeon
Body shops will always steer you to the repaint the whole panel/side of a car - beware!
+1

Try to find someone who specializes in ding and scratch repair. You could try asking on the regional forums here, bimmerfest, Porsche, and MB boards for recommendations in your area.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by surgeon
Can't tell if the scratch is down to the paint level. If it's just a clearcoat scratch - that is easily buffed out. I had one of those on mine too and it was taken care of. It it is down to the paint - buy the touch up paint from Audi (ibis white) and have someone touch up and re buff the area with a sealant.

I can see the steel on Monday. Then the dealer just put the paint on that hole.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

seriously that is nothing, i had my car keyed the first week from gas tank to rear passenger door. my painter/friend painted it to look almost flawless and my car is phantom black!(hardest to match metalic black) he had to paint the rear panel and the two doors to blend. that sctratch can probably b buffed out. but u should still milk the dealership and keep the $$ for goodies. o yeah white is the easiest to match.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't have taken delivery personally, but I tend to be **** about that kind of thing.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Go with Dr. Colorchip. I have used it on several of my cars over the years and the results have always been great. It is fairly cheap (especially when compared to a re-spray), easy to use, and looks good. It is nothing like typical touch-up paint. The colorchip stuff really works.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You definitely do not want to respray for that small damage. Have the dealer compensate you in some way instead. Throw in Audicare or some accessories or something similar.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Know how you feel about the dealer bungling your car at delivery-went through it myself when they chipped and dented my right rear door.
That's a tiny scratch and can easily buff out with numerous scratch removers on the market.As for the dent, any decent paintless dent removal(PDR) guy can get that out like if it never happened-I speak from experience.
ONLY repaint if car was either egged,keyed,hit hard while parked or accident while finding a body guy you know and trust to replicate factory finishes.

Quick Reply: Need your suggestion on a paint work (on a less than 7 days new car)