S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Need some about the stock audi audio system

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some about the stock audi audio system

hey everyone, I've been tossing and turning for a very long time deciding what car to get in price range of about 50-55K. I decided the S4 was the best car in this price-range and am super excited.

I've been following the dealer inventory around and found an almost perfect match to what I want (which hasn't happened yet). Ibis white, Brown/black interior, Rear diff, nav. It's hard to come across the brown/blk interior and I absolutely love it. I gotta make a move on this audi quickly, but am wondering if it's worth it to hold out the God awful "10" weeks to get the same exact build with the B&O audio system. I do listen to my music relatively loud, as I am 25 yrs old, but I hear good things about the audi concert system. Sitting in the car in the dealership I was happy with the low volume sounds in that car at idle withe the stock system. Can't tell about higher speeds on the highways and whatnot. Please let me know!! If I go through with this one, I will have the car by Saturday, and thats a big plus. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-08-2011, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 248 Likes on 184 Posts

If you enjoy music & really like to play it loud, get the B&O. I changed out the subwoofer transducer, but the amplifier and rest of the system is stock. It will definitely play fairly loud and clear for a basically stock system. It's worth it.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Get the B&O system. It's really good.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

if you can, listen to both and make an informed choice.

Bruce
Old 01-08-2011, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I've had my S4 for 4 months - I'm an audiophile outside of the car situation and deliberated for a long time about whether to order my own S4 with the B&O or not. I've recorded a dozen records and consider myself as someone that knows what a decent sound system sounds like.

To be honest, B&O sound systems are "okay" but over-priced. The S4 system is the same. I'm sure plenty of people enjoy it - but it's that much better than the stock system that it warrants the extra $$$ - all my humble opinion of course!

There may be a good argument about it affecting resale value of the car though.

I'd say save your money. Best to spend your hard-earned $$$ on nav, sports diff, etc - options that really make a difference.

- Mark
Old 01-08-2011, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am an audio engineer and I can tell you that it really depends on what you want. I listen to music really loudly and for my I have to hear everything in a dynamic range. The B&O offers really crisp highs and decent lows. I am going to upgrade the sub too and lay some dynamat down which I think will help.

On the other hand, I have the concert system in my Q5. It is pretty good compared to the B&O. It has a bit deeper subwoofer but I don't think the S4 has the same sub so I guess that doesn't mean much. The tweeters in the B&O really make it for me. If you can wait, I would do it.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I am about 3 weeks into our new A4 with Nav and the standard system.

I am disappointed in the sound. Our older 2002 A4 with Bose is much richer in sound.

I find that I have to adjust the settings for different stations (quality of broadcast?) and different music often, and still don't get the crispness. I am not an audiophile, but have listened to music since the high school days in the 70's. Hearing may be a bit shot, but I wish for the B and 0.

No is there a way to modify the standard system to get good sound without butchering the car or electronics????
Old 01-09-2011, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I and others have the B&O and have replaced the stock sub and are now very happy. We don't want to be heard blocks away, just that the stock lows are a tad anemic compared to how good the rest of the system is. I drive often, and love music, the B&O was a notable upgrade over stock, and you won't get something specifically designed for your car for the same cost aftermarket.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:06 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I decided not to get the B&O and am not unhappy with the standard system. I do not claim to be an audiophile. I have found all the premium OEM systems from car manufacturers in the mid price range to not have a WOW factor. I listened to both systems. The difference TO ME was not worth the additional expense. I did find a site where someone enhanced their stock
sound system with an additional tweeter from the B&0. Its a difficult call. It all depends on how much you want the sound system to sound a LITTLE better.http://www.audienthusiasts.com/index.html
Old 01-09-2011, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had both. Had the standard system in my 2010 S4 for 16 months and liked it just fine. Was decent but not awesome. It never left me wanting for more, yet I never heard the B&O.

On the 2011 S4 we got the B&O.

After having the new car for 2 weeks now, no way I would buy again without it. For the money the B&O is such a huge improvement.

Quick Reply: Need some about the stock audi audio system