S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

need new tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by westwest888
Right now, I'm leaning towards Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Everyone is going nuts over them.
I have a set and am very happy with them so far. 300 treadlife and a 30k mile tread wear warranty, tons of grip, lightweight, stiff sidewalls. You can't really beat them. Mine have around 8k and are wearing well, with no additional road noise
Old 05-14-2012, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

An expensive option is the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup at $430 a tire. I know rich guys saying it was costing them something obscene like $0.50 a mile to drive on those tires, and it was too much for them.
I got the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires @ 17K miles & have about 8K on them too. Got 'um for about $419 a tire on sale @ Discount Tire. They have great stopping power and look great. But, they wear fast and have a lot of annoying road noise! It might be my rotors. Taking it into the dealership again next week.

Last edited by drrick89; 05-14-2012 at 06:16 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereodude
It's the name for the 19" non Ti wheels that look like they have 5 vegetable peelers for spokes.
Thank you. I havent been to the track in years and thought I burned too many brain cells as not to know what that meant.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Right now, I'm leaning towards Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Everyone is going nuts over them.
For the street, I think that is the best tire, but for the track I have seen several people tear it up. The tire does not seem to handle heat cycles that great, and will start to chunk at the edges with extreme cycles and heat. I would seriously consider the RE-11 or AD-08 if you are looking for a street and track tire in one. The R888 is a good track tire, but it is definitely a tire that should be used 90% on the track versus the street as it is more of a competition tire.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jran76
For the street, I think that is the best tire, but for the track I have seen several people tear it up. The tire does not seem to handle heat cycles that great, and will start to chunk at the edges with extreme cycles and heat. I would seriously consider the RE-11 or AD-08 if you are looking for a street and track tire in one. The R888 is a good track tire, but it is definitely a tire that should be used 90% on the track versus the street as it is more of a competition tire.
What about road noise on the RE and the AD?
Old 05-15-2012, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

For the South Florida weather which includes lots of heat and rain what would be the best all around road tire? I currently have the Ti package on my vehicle which has the 19" rims and summer tires. Not sure if I should upgrade to 20" and replace both rims and tires or just change the tires for something with better grip and less road noise.

Recommendations welcomed
Old 05-15-2012, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sendmeone
For the South Florida weather which includes lots of heat and rain what would be the best all around road tire? I currently have the Ti package on my vehicle which has the 19" rims and summer tires. Not sure if I should upgrade to 20" and replace both rims and tires or just change the tires for something with better grip and less road noise.

Recommendations welcomed
I haven't taken my Pilot Super Sports through a Florida summertime torrential downpour yet, but I love everything about them so far, including general wet performance. The OEM Dunlops were good in the rain, and I had Hankook Ventus V12's on my previous Bullitt Mustang and they were excellent in the rain.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by helix139
I haven't taken my Pilot Super Sports through a Florida summertime torrential downpour yet, but I love everything about them so far, including general wet performance. The OEM Dunlops were good in the rain, and I had Hankook Ventus V12's on my previous Bullitt Mustang and they were excellent in the rain.
Thanks for the feedback...I feel that the stock tires are a bit loose in the wet conditions
Old 05-15-2012, 08:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The Michelin's are regarded as the best all-around road tire. Heavy rain is not an issue. Road noise is so-so (not great).

Others good tires in the same category (in order of price) would be the Conti DW, Bridgestone S-04, or Hankook V12. All are good street tires for the price. The Bridgestone and Hankook will probably be the least quite.

The RE-11 and AD08 are both geared towards high performance, and will have some extra noise and road feel (especially the AD08). They will also sacrifice some wet performance, although the RE-11's are not bad at all. Still if you plan to drive only on the street with a lot of rain, the RE-11 and AD08 are not the best choice. Not to mention, the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires have a 30,000 mile warranty, and you will be lucky to get 10,000 out of the RE-11 or AD08.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just put Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires on my car, the 4th set after the OEM Pirelli P-Zero's (16k), followed by another set of P-Zero's (19K), then Bridgestone Protenzas (20K), and now the Michelins at the 56K mark. They are a little loud but seem to handle well on wet or dry pavement. Not as soft as the Pirelli's for sure but the 30K warranty is a new addition. This is my company car so the leasing company is buying the tires thank goodness. I have historically had good success with Michelins over the years.

Quick Reply: need new tires