S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

MTM B8 S4 3.0T tuning available...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MTM B8 S4 3.0T tuning available...

Let the games begin.

http://www.hoppenmotorsport.com/Audi.S4.B8.Engine.htm

Bruce
Old 10-17-2009, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rktskicar
Are they really charging an additional $600 just to increase the speed limitor? Or am i missing something, because it looks like the only difference between the normal and plus packages.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

That's what it looks like to me.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've never modded a car in ways other than superficial ones or an air intake. How exactly does something like this change a car? What dangers are there to the engine? I assume your warranty would be voided if the dealer knew you did this?

I don't know much about this kind of stuff.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A might too steep still, even though they show it 'on sale' throught the end of '09. Tempting though with warranty - As as has been mentioned before with tuners on these threads, that will be the thing most are looking for, if not an actual partnership with AoA or a dealership.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ok, first I'm not 100% sure if I'm saying this right, but you can sort of get the gist of it.

"Chipping" denotes actual replacement of the car's ECU and changes the air to fuel ratio, maximizing boost from the supercharger, thus creating more power (Much of the S4 supercharger boost is dumped before it's even used, the chip will utilize this). But the MTM is not a chip, it's a piggyback. Basically the signal from your engine is diverted into the MTM piggyback box, which then sends back "false signals" to your ECU, changing A/F ratio.

A piggyback is usually considered the "lowest form" of tuning, as it just manipulates the input, however expect in the near future actual chips, or ECU's (not piggyback) from APR and/or Giac. This is what I'm personally waiting for as I used APR for my Audi A4 1.8T. The power was smooth and linear and gas mileage was improved slightly. $500 for a 50hp gain. Tell me where else you can get 10hp per dollar!? I'm hoping the S4 chip, once other companies start releasing their software, will come in around $1000-$1500.

As for dangers to your engine, hard to tell. Definitely there will be more strain on your engine, but most blocks are created to withstand more than just the stock amount of HP. I'm not sure what the S4's engine block was built to withstand. In my A4, I never had any engine troubles or CEL codes from the chip.

Yes, warranty can be voided if the dealership is able to deduce that the problem at hand was caused by your chip. You are able to turn off the modified ECU. In the A4, you use the cruise control stalk to turn on/off the chip or change the mode (i.e. Valet mode, which decreases the power so some young valet punk takes a joyride in your car). As for a piggyback, everytime you bring the car to the dealer, you just uninstall it. Although, it's not completely foolproof.

Audi may offer chips at the dealership. My cousin purchased an 2009 A4 2.0T S-line at Stevens Creek Audi and he purchased/installed a Stasis chip at the dealership at time of delivery. His chip will not void warranty as there is an agreement between Stasis and Audi that will ensure warranty will be covered for your car. Whether it's Audi that covers the repair cost or Stasis, I'm not sure. Bottomline is that you're covered!

Last I heard, APR is looking to do something similar with Audi dealerships.

P.S. There's a thread on AUdizine with much more concise info on chips and piggybacks on Audizine, but I can't find it.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Wow, I just noticed so many typos in that post, I just woke up. Hahaha
Old 10-17-2009, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

This is the thread you might want to look at...

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=313543
Old 10-17-2009, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's way too expensive

I know they have to amortize their design time/cost into a fairly small number of units, but seriously, $2,900 is too much. It's a box of electronics which won't cost them more than $200 to make in small quantities. A fair value for their design effort per unit can be seen by looking at how much APR charges for SW mods to your ECU ($600-$800). Better to wait until APR brings something out then.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It is expensive, but is the first offering in the US that I am aware of for B8 S4 tuning. MTM has thrown out the gauntlent. We know that APR, OCT, EPL, GIAC? and others have their B8 S4's and will respond with offerings for the B8 S4. I expect OCT will be first from this group, as they are based in Austria and have had a B8 S4 for some time.

Bruce

Quick Reply: MTM B8 S4 3.0T tuning available...