S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Loyal Acura TL owner considering 2011 S4 manual

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

My boss has a GT-R. I got a chance to drive it once. I'm still smiling. Easy to do 120 without even trying. If only it had four doors and a true manual stick.

S4 is coming...soon.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear the ride on the GT-R is pretty brutal...was that your experience (or did you stay on decent pavement).

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
My boss has a GT-R. I got a chance to drive it once. I'm still smiling. Easy to do 120 without even trying. If only it had four doors and a true manual stick.

S4 is coming...soon.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well S4 fans, I'm officially in the club! I found a barely used 2012 S4 in Knoxville, drove up from Atlanta and picked it up. Only 5500 miles, still smells like new. It's a Prestige with the Sports Diff and Drive Select, and wow what a difference from my old 2004 front wheel drive TL.

Here's a few pics.

New S4

Outgoing TL, 2004 A-Spec package, 18" SST wheels, Conti DWS tires, no engine mods.

My girls giving a goodbye hug to one of the best cars I've ever owned, with the new S4 waiting nearby to show them what a fast car is really like. I sold the TL on craigslist in 48 hours for $13k. Good deal for both parties.

It feels smaller than the TL, although so much more agile and no more torque steer!

First S4 mod - get some tint quick!
Old 05-30-2012, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Congrats!

I, too, just recently got a 2012 S4 and love it.

But FYI, you CAN still get a manual TL.

A friend just got a brand new 6-speed AWD Acura TL, and he likes it a lot. About $10K less than an S4. And in silver, it doesn't look too bad....
Old 05-30-2012, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by S4inSilver
Congrats!

I, too, just recently got a 2012 S4 and love it.

But FYI, you CAN still get a manual TL.

A friend just got a brand new 6-speed AWD Acura TL, and he likes it a lot. About $10K less than an S4.
Yeah, but it's still got an ugly rear end. We also have an 2008 MDX, which was once described as having a front end that looked like Sam the Eagle from the Muppets got in a fight with one of the transformers.

The S4 is just so damn sleek.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, but it's still got an ugly rear end.
The beak on the front would bother me a lot more than the rear.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

German car designs are classy, efficient, and to the point. The same cannot be said for Japanese/American cars. Just take the B5 S4 for example, it still looks great on the road 15 years later.

Last edited by bbmaster; 05-30-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well S4 fans, I'm officially in the club! I found a barely used 2012 S4 in Knoxville, drove up from Atlanta and picked it up. Only 5500 miles, still smells like new. It's a Prestige with the Sports Diff and Drive Select, and wow what a difference from my old 2004 front wheel drive TL.

Here's a few pics.

New S4

Outgoing TL, 2004 A-Spec package, 18" SST wheels, Conti DWS tires, no engine mods.

My girls giving a goodbye hug to one of the best cars I've ever owned, with the new S4 waiting nearby to show them what a fast car is really like. I sold the TL on craigslist in 48 hours for $13k. Good deal for both parties.

It feels smaller than the TL, although so much more agile and no more torque steer!

Congrats. I'm soon to be making a similar transition from a 07 TL Type S to a 2013 S4. Sounds like you got a good price for the 04 TL A-Spec. Years of reading/learning on Acurazine are now transitioning over to the Audi world and Audi-based forums.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout
I was an Acura fan as well (TSX and and RL) until their designers started smoking something and put that bagel slicer on the front of all their car.
lol that was funny

I agree, they went mental. Unfortunately their sales started slipping so they tried to get young and cool...and just ended up turning into Subarus...really ugly, really good cars.

I loved the old 2nd generation Acura Legend and actually the Acura TL before the recent rhino one is a very attractive car. the TSX/EuroAccord was also great looking and fun to drive...but the new one is haggard.

The Acura NSX is beautiful...although it's got a real 'we ripped off the R8' feel to it.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well S4 fans, I'm officially in the club! I found a barely used 2012 S4 in Knoxville, drove up from Atlanta and picked it up.

Welcome

I have owned many Japanese cars and my last 3 have all been lexus. Lexus quality and reliability is 2cnd to none. But You wont get the agility in Japanese cars that you find in German cars. You feel the engineeing and precison in the steering of german cars too. Thats the fun factor. Its as if you and the machine are one.

I have also owned 4 corvettes and you dont get that kind of road connection in corvettes thats for sure. People think HP and performance equates to enjoyment. To some extent it does (I have a 700 HP Twin turbo corvette so I know. But the ones who have never drive german cars or other cars that produce german-like road feel will never know what that feeling is like. They may walk away banging their chest with sheer HP numbers but they generally do not have that same joy as AUDI, BMW or PORSCHE owners do behind the wheel.

Looks like you have 2 family members who dont want to let the acura go though

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 05-30-2012 at 12:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Loyal Acura TL owner considering 2011 S4 manual