S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Loyal Acura TL owner considering 2011 S4 manual

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Loyal Acura TL owner considering 2011 S4 manual

I'm a long time owner of many Japanese rides, most recently a couple Acuras, including a great 2004 TL. This is a rare 6 speed with only 82000 miles and even though it will last a few more decades without many problems, I'm considering an upgrade to a 2011 S4.

The main reason I'm considering the S4 is that it's a 4 door sedan that offers a manual transmission. Seems to be tougher to find this combo, unless BMW or Cadillac are considered. The latest TL is butt ugly and no way I'm going to Subaru or Mitsubishi. It's gotta be fast and reliable.

Here's the link:
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...aff=national#0

So, is this a good deal? How much negotiation room do I have here? It is certified, and even wth only 6500 miles in the first year, it's already had a taillight replaced, sunroof declogged and new brakes. The new pads are supposed to be an upgrade to the S5 pads. How much better are these?

It was also a lease and I'm wondering how hard it was driven for the first year. Maybe running it hard for the first 1000 miles is actually good? I've seen several posts on seating those rings with WOT a few times in the first 1000 miles.

What should I be worried about?
Old 12-26-2011, 02:29 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Link didn't work for me. I personally would want to know why the original leassee got rid of it so soon. S5 brakes have helped some get rid of the brake squeal issue

Last edited by DrGP; 12-26-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
Link didn't work for me. I personally would want to know why the original leassee got rid of it so soon. S5 brakes have helped some get rid of the brake squeal issue
2nd attempt at link:
http://www.jimellisaudiatlanta.com/c...77f83e6819.htm
Old 12-26-2011, 03:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was an Acura fan as well (TSX and and RL) until their designers started smoking something and put that bagel slicer on the front of all their cars...I also had some issues with the interior in the RL (e.g., leather was peeling way before its time)

Comparing the my old TSX and RL, the ride is a bit less "soft" in the s4. Getting used to the Audi MMI vs. the Acura system also takes some time. Other than that, I find the Audi a much better car all around. Best way to put it into words is that the Audi feels much smoother and feels more "solid" enginnering wise than the Acuras I have driven. I drove automatics, mind you, so the manual experience may be different. The DSG in the Audi is simply amazing, BTW...

Would add that with SH-AWD in the RL, I always felt I had to really push the car past the point of insanity for it to kick in. With Quattro, with the sport diff (if you have not read in the reviews and in the forums, if you get an S4 get the sport diff, its worth it!), it gives a much better feel, and you can more easily modulate the response of the system, feel when you are getting to the point where you are going to slide, take it to that point without going over, etc. With SH-AWD, it always felt like it was way late kicking in and was either on or off (no in between).
Old 12-26-2011, 03:21 PM
Banned

I couldn't tell from the info if the car had the sport diff or not. To me that is a MUST HAVE option. But based on the $52.9 k asking price, you are better off buying new. Either ordering one to your own specs or have a dealer locate one. A new S4 specked out similarly without the Ti package should cost less. It will lease for lease for less, and finance rate on a new S4 will be less. You should expect to pay NO MORE then $1k over invoice or LESS. What you won't be able to order is a Premium Plus trim with Ti package since for 2012 it is only available on the Prestige trim AND is currently backordered and supposedly dealers are not taking orders for the Ti Package do to a lack of parts. New car will also be worth more in the future.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ti package is not that important to me, but it is nice. I like to outfit my rides with my own wheels anyway. This one does NOT have Sport Diff. Can that be added? I have read the reviews. Some say leave it, others say it is imperative.

I also have an MDX with SH-AWD and love it. The TL gets a ton of torque steer with worn tires. New tires help that but I'm having a hard time going with just front wheel drive from now on. If I gotta go RWD, might as well get an M3.

I'm also one exit away from Road Atlanta and would probably track this car, at least once, just to say I did.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I agree with prior poster, especially if you are going to track it, sports diff is a must.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:45 PM
Banned

Especially if you intend on tracking the car, you will WANT the sport dif. It is the option that makes the S4 special. IT CANNOT BE ADDED LATER. I specked out a new 2012 S4 on Edmonds in Ibis white ans 6MT, sport diff, leather seats,B&o radio,Nav, advanced key and 19" wheels . Edmunds says you should pay. $52.6k.You might be able to do even better I doubt the local dealer will go a lot lower since the used car prices on the S4s have been high and the cars are scarce.

Base Price

$43,990$47,300$46,096 Ibis White
$0$0$0 Black/Red
$0$0$0 Silk Nappa Leather Seats
$930$1,000$966 Sports Differential
$1,024$1,100$1,063 19" 5-Segment Spoke Design Wheels
$744$800$773 Audi Advanced Key
$511$550$531 Bang & Olufsen Premium Sound System
$791$850$822 Audi MMI Navigation Plus
$1,860$2,000$1,933 Destination Fee
$875$875$875 Regional Adjustment

Please enter a valid Zip Code
for Zip Code:Update
($388) Color Adjustment
($60) Total Price
y $52.6
Old 12-26-2011, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout
I agree with prior poster, especially if you are going to track it, sports diff is a must.
I waited an extra 2 months for sports diff and am glad I did.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
I couldn't tell from the info if the car had the sport diff or not. To me that is a MUST HAVE option.
No dash button so no sport diff.

Quick Reply: Loyal Acura TL owner considering 2011 S4 manual