S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Loose door panels?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Loose door panels?

I'm wondering if other owners are experiencing loose door panels in their S4.

I bought my 2012 S4 at the end of July. I've only got 1,800 miles on it so far...it's a garage queen.

Anyhow, whenever I roll over just about any sized bump - the door panels rattle. I primarily hear it on the driver door panel. But, the other panels rattle as well. It's driving me crazy. I have a 2010 A4 and the door panels are solid with no rattles. My wife has an Infiniti G37 sedan and the door panels don't rattle. I even owned a Mitsu Evo a few years back and even the door panels in that car didn't rattle.

Are the door panels rattling a common occurrence with this car? I'm going to ask my dealer to investigate when I take my car in to get the camera chip installed.

Thanks guys.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read in some post that the sunroof manual open tool was rattling in the fuse box (believe it was driver's side) - the poster ended up using some electrical tape to make it snap in tighter and stop the rattle; might want to check that.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jdm5
I read in some post that the sunroof manual open tool was rattling in the fuse box (believe it was driver's side) - the poster ended up using some electrical tape to make it snap in tighter and stop the rattle; might want to check that.
Thanks, I'll give that a look.

I think it's something more. It literally sounds like the entire door card is shifting when I hit bumps and that's for all four doors. Everything else (dash, rear deck, center console, etc) are all tight as a drum with zero rattles.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you had your windows tinted? I think some tint installers will remove door panels on some cars. Maybe they didn't get the fasteners engaged fully when re-assembling the door.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by EF99
Have you had your windows tinted? I think some tint installers will remove door panels on some cars. Maybe they didn't get the fasteners engaged fully when re-assembling the door.
I did have my windows tinted - but they did not remove the door panels.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

my door panes rattle as well and I am not happy about it.
Im curious what the fix could be. I didnt buy a car with this finish for this. Other than that the car is awesome. The only problem is that it wants to do 100 every time i get behind the wheel.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

I actually have noticed that as well. My car has about 1200 miles on it and the driver's side door handle is loose and the other side rattles when I crank music. I have an appt with the dealer to check into it.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default No

Looks like a few of you have this. I just wanted to add that in my case, I have not noticed any rattles in my 2012 in over 5K miles.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My Driver's side door moves up and down slightly when I hit bumps in the road. It sounds like the whole door is shifting up and down like it's loose? I will have them look at it at my 15K Service.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by B8 S FOR
My Driver's side door moves up and down slightly when I hit bumps in the road. It sounds like the whole door is shifting up and down like it's loose? I will have them look at it at my 15K Service.
That's pretty much what my car sounds like it is doing. It's quite annoying. The weird thing is that I can crank the stereo as loud as I want without any rattling.

Quick Reply: Loose door panels?