S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Interior trim options

Old 02-16-2010, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Interior trim options

Hi,

I'm seeing a lot of Carbon Atlas in these threads, almost to the point where it seems like a standard option on the car. I realize that Aluminum is standard, and I've seen the S4 in person in Aluminum, Carbon Atlas, and Stainless Steel Texture.

In some ways, I like the way the standard Aluminum reinforces the aluminum trim on the S4, but I can also appreciate the way the Carbon sets the car apart from the A4 and also "softens" and mutes the overall interior. Stainless has a great look too, and adds some depth like the carbon, but seems like it might scratch easily. I also don't care much for polished black plastic around the shifter control that comes with the Stainless. Can't speak for Gray Birch Wood.

Would be great to get everyone's thoughts on the trim options -- what you've gone with (or are going with), and why. What drove (or is driving) your decision: Exclusivity? Cost? Look and feel? Durability or maintenance?

Also very curious which of the trim options resists scratches the best.

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2010, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I think you are over analyzing this. The choice depends mostly on what color interior you get and what your personal preference is. For resisting scratches, I would think birch wood trim and carbon fiber would be better than the other two choices since they have a lacquer type finish on top of the base material. I had brushed aluminum in my B7 A4 S-line and had no issues with scratching. I would guess that the glossy piano black piece on the stainless option might show small scratches the most.

My choice would be the gray birch wood but many people find wood unsuitable for a sporty interior.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked the standard brushed aluminum trim because it looked good enough and the optional ones were too expensive in my book. There is someone making CF trim for the car that also replaces the sliver-painted plastic guage surround. That's appealing to me and I might consider it after I get the car on order (April) and live with it for awhile.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I ordered with the stainless stock as well. I think I may some day upgrade to an aftermarket carbon, which will be an entire set that matches perfectly.

Reason for stainless - it matches rest of trim, and it stays clean better. If you're OCD about dust inside your car like me, polished trim like wood or carbon or piano black plastic requires constant dusting.

I wish instead of the stainless, Audi used the old textured metal finish that they had on their B7's. Although I do like the stainless a lot, really nice texture. Too bad they didn't apply it to the center console as well.

You'll be fine with any choice though. It's an Audi!!!

-except for that cheap center display plastic - what were they thinking? I'm almost thinking of just getting mine painted black...
Old 02-17-2010, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I liked the standard aluminum w/ the same aluminum around the 'gear shifter' area. I thought about the Stainless Steel...but agree with others here...what were they thinking using the black plastic piano trim around the center consol? If that was stainless also it would have been a done deal for me.

I ended up justifying the added cost of the ADS by going with standard aluminum trim and a 'no upcharge' color choice.

Audi makes the best interiors for under $100,000 IMO. Any offering they have will be great. I like the silver colors though in a sports car...especially over the wood tones manufacturers offer.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

I would have done stainless as well if the center console came with the same trim.

Went with the stock aluminum, since stainless was not available on the console.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:21 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a fan of the Alum look. Had grey birch on the 04 S4. IMHO, CF just blends well with the black interior that I ordered. Just wish the trim around the instument panel was also CF.