S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Just a warning about B8 S4 water coolant pump failures

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Audi and any other OEM will be doing any amount of wordsmithing in their power to remove themselves from the word "recall" after all Toyota went through recently.

Call it whatever you like, it's a recall.

From the Dictionary:

Also called callback. a summons by a manufacturer or other agency for the return of goods or a product already shipped to market or sold to consumers but discovered to be defective, contaminated, unsafe, or the like

From White Men Can't Jump:

"You can put a cat in an oven, but that don't make it a biscuit."
Are simply they are just going to do it when we go for service .
Old 09-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just got my 5k service and brought the subject up... Yes, he has heard about it... but said "Audi would issue a recall if it where an issue".....

I have the one that is going to blow (plastic one) and the thing that really sucks, is that I travel through the backwoods of Virginia every day and have AT&T cell service in which means no cell service.... so if any of you Virginia drivers see a broken down S4 on the road.... hook a brother up!
Old 09-22-2010, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Well their tune shouldn't affect the pump at all, the issue seems to be with the high pressure seal or valve going out. My concern was that someone who had a Dec 09 build date, WELL before the metal pumps were out was told his didn't fall in the replacement range.

Have you looked to see if your pump is shiny silver or black plastic?
Mine is the shiny silver.

My "failure rate by build date" survey is showing a 16% failure rate for the plastic (2/10 build date or earlier) pumps.

It seems strange to me that some plastic pumps would be ok and others not...ie...

(Example...not real life)

1st week December build date recall

2nd week December build date no recall

3rd week December build date recall

I understand certain lots of the seals could be bad and they could have been installed at different times. I'm just not sure I'm buying into the idea that is the only problem. Why change the housing to aluminum? They must have done several enhancements to the metal pumps vs plastic.

We've heard of someone who received a new pump in February ( plastic one) and it failed too.

Seems like we are getting conflicting reports from different dealers. My guess is the service writers are not given a ton of details about how the recall is being issued. Since this one has been out since last Friday we are in limbo until everyone can get a handle on what is going on.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Well, I'm thinking the recall didn't do me much good...

My water pump was replaced as part of the recall about 3 weeks ago.

Today, I got stranded with the whole, "stop the car, add coolant" routine.

I'm wondering how long I was driving before I noticed it- The reason I ask is... I have a co-worker with a BMW X5. Something failed and car over heated. The car was out of warranty and she spent a couple of thousand dollars on the repair from the dealer, followed by an engine that failed a couple of months later- So, the question I have is, have any of you that had the over heat issue from the pump failure noticed any adverse side effects?
Old 10-21-2010, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Damn that's not too promising that the pump blew again from the sounds of it, unless you are leaking coolant for some other reason or the sensor is bad...

Glad I took mine in today to have them look at it again.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by '03A6-4.2
My water pump was replaced as part of the recall about 3 weeks ago.

Today, I got stranded with the whole, "stop the car, add coolant" routine.

I'm wondering how long I was driving before I noticed it- The reason I ask is... I have a co-worker with a BMW X5. Something failed and car over heated. The car was out of warranty and she spent a couple of thousand dollars on the repair from the dealer, followed by an engine that failed a couple of months later- So, the question I have is, have any of you that had the over heat issue from the pump failure noticed any adverse side effects?
I think it was GMG, but one shop said to pull over IMMEDIATELY, that they drove their shop car about 2 minutes after the warning due to lack of a shoulder to pull over on, and it friend the engine.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, after several days I have been told that my over-heating was a function of a bad thermostat. I have been incredibly impressed by the courtesy and helpfulness of my local dealer. They have had me in a really nice '10 A4 Avant while they were working on my car.

I picked my car up yesterday and couldn't believe how much I missed it. Great car!!

Then today, I look down to see my "check engine" light is on. Augh.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tipsyhemi
im curious why you "continue to drive the **** out of their courtesy car"?

what does that mean? why abuse some one else's car? i personally like to respect other's property like it was my own.
I agree totally with your sentiments!
Old 02-10-2011, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by neunelf
I agree totally with your sentiments!
*blink*
Old 02-12-2011, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Leaking 2011

Not sure of the build date of my 2011 (dealer delivery in early Nov. 2010, but on a trip today, I lost 3 liters of coolant in about 500 miles. Leaking started around 2,000 mile point. Sounds like Audi still has a water pump problem although mine hasn't been to the dealer yet (weekend failure of course--500 miles from home).

Quick Reply: Just a warning about B8 S4 water coolant pump failures