S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

It's on a boat in the English Channel.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 12:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pharmersteve
JUST WATCHED MY CAR ROLL OFF THE TRUCK!!! ... Hopefully I can take delivery tomorrow
Did you pick your car up?

Originally Posted by captainy
My car has arrived at Leith Audi in Cary, NC. I'll be picking it up at 4pm today. Pictures will follow tomorrow.
woohoo! Your car must have been on the same truck mine was on, as I got an email from my salesman that mine had arrived as well

Originally Posted by safelder
Sounds like a lot of cars are showing up early. I was scheduled for November 7; got an email yesterday saying my car is in. Unfortunately, I'm headed out of town, so I likely won't be taking delivery until early next week.
I'm in the same boat - I have to wait till next weekend to go down to NC to take delivery. Cool - another NoVa S4 driver.

Originally Posted by John Thacker
Heh, my salesman at Leith used yours as an example today. He emailed me with an update and said "It still says December 14, but we had a car listed for Nov 9 get there today, and they all seem to be arriving a week or two early."
Hopefully you'll get notice it on it's way soon! John, you're a NoVa guy too, right? Going to be cool to see more S4's around. We gotta show the S5 owners what's up
Old 10-31-2009, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep. I picked my car up on Thursday as planned. No pictures yet because it's been raining pretty much all the time I've had free (and again this morning). Here are my early driving impresions. Bear in mind I'm coming out of a 2007 Q7, but I've had many and various cars including a Nogaro Blue 2004 S4.

Very quiet car for an S model, especially under acceleration where the exhaust and induction noise are very muted. More so than the 2004 V8 S4 and more so than my Q7. I agree with others that a litle more sound under acceleration would be good (but low engine noise while cruising is good).

Suspension change in feel is quite noticeable between the predefined settings (comfort/auto/dynamic). Just about as noticeable as my air-ride Q7 even though the S4 changes only damping rates and not spring rates and ride height. Even in dynamic, it's not even remotely harsh. Very well snubbed ride motions. I have the trick rear diff too, but I've yet to have the courage to see what it can really do (i.e. I've barely noticed it being there). So I think you will have to drive quite hard to experience it. I think I noticed it once when I turned left out of a junction quickly. Around bends at steady throttle, this thing grips like s**t to a blanket. It really inspires confidence.

Obvioulsy I have very few miles on it, so I can't really use the engine yet, but goodness me. It's admittedly been a while since my 04 S4, but this thing feels quite a bit faster. I thoroughly believe APR that the engine output is low-balled in Audi's spec sheet. Two out of three of my family complained about being thrown back in their seats very harshly away from a red-light; one (my 13 year-old go-karting son) complained that we didn't launch hard enough......

I have the s-tronic gearbox. I'm enjoying it, but for those who are expecting/hoping that it will behave like a good automatic will be disappointed. My wife had an 06 A3 2.0T with DSG, and it did indeed drive like a good auto (very smooth at slow speed etc. etc.). But the s-tronic is somewhat jerkier at low speeds and stop/start traffic. Not badly jerky, and in fact probably better than most would achieve with a conventional manual, but not buttery smooth like a torque converter does. Use it in auto when you're in traffic, or just don't feel like being so engaged on your drive (and give your S4 to someone else if that happens often cause you must have died). And use the paddles most of the time because it gives you full (and rapid) control of what gear you're in without you having to worry about matching revs etc. It changes gears incredibly quickly, and makes a very amusing "fart" on upchanges with all bu the smallest throttle openings. The noise is louder the greater the throttle opening.

And by the way, no pictures really do these cars justice. Sprint Blue Pearl is gorgeous and gets many comments and looks. I'm really glad I chose the tuscan brown and black nappa seats. It really goes well with the blue and the gray birch wood fits in well too.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep. I picked my car up on Thursday as planned. No pictures yet because it's been raining pretty much all the time I've had free (and again this morning). Here are my early driving impresions. Bear in mind I'm coming out of a 2007 Q7, but I've had many and various cars including a Nogaro Blue 2004 S4.

Very quiet car for an S model, especially under acceleration where the exhaust and induction noise are very muted. More so than the 2004 V8 S4 and more so than my Q7. I agree with others that a litle more sound under acceleration would be good (but low engine noise while cruising is good).

Suspension change in feel is quite noticeable between the predefined settings (comfort/auto/dynamic). Just about as noticeable as my air-ride Q7 even though the S4 changes only damping rates and not spring rates and ride height. Even in dynamic, it's not even remotely harsh. Very well snubbed ride motions. I have the trick rear diff too, but I've yet to have the courage to see what it can really do (i.e. I've barely noticed it being there). So I think you will have to drive quite hard to experience it. I think I noticed it once when I turned left out of a junction quickly. Around bends at steady throttle, this thing grips like s**t to a blanket. It really inspires confidence.

Obvioulsy I have very few miles on it, so I can't really use the engine yet, but goodness me. It's admittedly been a while since my 04 S4, but this thing feels quite a bit faster. I thoroughly believe APR that the engine output is low-balled in Audi's spec sheet. Two out of three of my family complained about being thrown back in their seats very harshly away from a red-light; one (my 13 year-old go-karting son) complained that we didn't launch hard enough......

I have the s-tronic gearbox. I'm enjoying it, but for those who are expecting/hoping that it will behave like a good automatic will be disappointed. My wife had an 06 A3 2.0T with DSG, and it did indeed drive like a good auto (very smooth at slow speed etc. etc.). But the s-tronic is somewhat jerkier at low speeds and stop/start traffic. Not badly jerky, and in fact probably better than most would achieve with a conventional manual, but not buttery smooth like a torque converter does. Use it in auto when you're in traffic, or just don't feel like being so engaged on your drive (and give your S4 to someone else if that happens often cause you must have died). And use the paddles most of the time because it gives you full (and rapid) control of what gear you're in without you having to worry about matching revs etc. It changes gears incredibly quickly, and makes a very amusing "fart" on upchanges with all bu the smallest throttle openings. The noise is louder the greater the throttle opening.

And by the way, no pictures really do these cars justice. Sprint Blue Pearl is gorgeous and gets many comments and looks. I'm really glad I chose the tuscan brown and black nappa seats. It really goes well with the blue and the gray birch wood fits in well too.

You know my brother, I think you and I are the only ones who have ordered black/brown interior. I have not seen ANY other person on here, or on audizine with it and I'm very surprised. I think it's absolutely gorgeous and the only two-tone color choice I can envision for myself that wouldn't become old in a short amount of time (no disrespect to the other colors, just a personal preference).

I also looked over the shoulder of my sales guy on his audi inventory list. There were NONE ordered with black/brown two weeks ago in the system sold or otherwise anywhere in the USA. Which, of course, made me want it even more! I asked why that was and he said that the dealers simply won't order anything other than "safe" interiors (ie, black). He did have one magma/black on the floor but he said 90 percent of the stock orders they bring in are black, just to be safe and to move them as fast as possible.

I can't wait to see it. The friggin' wait is going to kill me! But in a good way .
Old 10-31-2009, 09:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by UmIsThisThingOn
Hopefully you'll get notice it on it's way soon! John, you're a NoVa guy too, right? Going to be cool to see more S4's around. We gotta show the S5 owners what's up
Yep, another NoVa guy here. In my case, I'm from the Triangle originally, so my plan was to wait until I was going down for the holidays to visit family to pick it up. If it gets there early I may not be able to stand the wait, though..

Nice to hear. I ordered mine the same colors; Sprint Blue Pearl, Tuscan Brown, and wood. Ordered it from Leith too; the salesman said that those were unusual color choices, even though I feel like I've heard it from a lot of people here. Must be that lots of custom orders are that way, but the dealers don't order them that way unless they're sold orders. Ibis and the blacks and greys are probably safer for something that's going to sit on the lot.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Captainy - congrats on the new car. I just picked up mine today and love it. For those in the NC area, definitely head over to Leith in Cary and talk to Jason. Very helpful and a good communicator.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by UmIsThisThingOn
Did you pick your car up?
Yes, sorry for the delay in posting more info, lets just say I have been a bit busy, looking for an excuse to go anywhere.

Dealer let me take the car home thursday night without all financing secured yet so thanks for that. Went back friday morning and finished off all that fun stuff. My salesman was awesome from start to finish. After the dealerships detailers were finished with the car, him and I spent almost an hour finishing it off to our liking.

I honestly can't believe how hard this engine pulls in any gear almost at almost any engine speed, its crazy. I am reaching very high speeds in 2nd and 3rd gear (I subscribe to the hard break-in theory) and I don't even think I have ridden the car in 6th gear yet. You almost don't even need the 6th gear but I guess for a long highway drive it will save fuel. This car is much quicker than I anticipated.

I have the 6mt and the clutch is really soft feeling but it doesn't take too long to get comfy with. The throttle response is precise and the brakes are....not sure, haven't used them yet.

We have all read tons of reviews on the car so I don't think my review will be of much help in the 100 or so miles that I have driven it but a few things I may be able to add here.

1- Audi is actually replacing 2 things on the vehicle. The overhead light switch is a little touchy and sometimes just touching the switch will cause the light to come on. It is not supposed to operate in this manner so Audi has ordered me a new overhead console.
2- The armrest has some sort of a ratchet type system that is supposed to lock at different heights for driver comfort. My armrest does not lock in any position and just sort of slides up and down. Audi has ordered me a new armrest which they will replace when it comes in.

Other than these 2 little things the car is spectacular, but just make sure you inspect every feature of your vehicle. It is better to find these things right away than 3 months from now.

For people with kids in the need of car seats, have no fear, your car seat will fit just fine. I put a seat protector, kick mat and used the latch for a relatively large child seat and it fits great. My daughter fits great and is comfortable in the back seat. I was a little worried how it was gonna fit but it is perfect.

I am a first time Audi owner so this car has so much technology in it that it is taking me a little time to learn how to use all the systems.
Attached Images      
Old 10-31-2009, 08:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here are a few more pics. I may have downsized these images a bit too much, they look a little grainy. Hopefully you can see the carbon fiber pretty well and the alcantara for those who are curious to what it looks like. I have more pics and can take more if anyone has any requests. Also, notice how much room is in the backseat even with the car seat in there.

My daughter was yelling at me today to drive faster...it was pretty funny
Attached Images     
Old 10-31-2009, 08:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Some slightly larger images of carbon fiber and alcantara. Hopefully you can see it better
Attached Images    
Old 10-31-2009, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pharmersteve,

Looking good!
Old 11-01-2009, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

pharmersteve: looks great, thanks for the pics!

captainy: can't wait to see pics of the tuscan interior, it must look great

Quick Reply: It's on a boat in the English Channel.....