S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

iPod/MMI User Experience driving me nuts

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 03:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod/MMI User Experience driving me nuts

How hard is it to leave the previous mode (shuffle, within a certain playlist/folder) set when you turn the car back on again?? I will undoubtedly spend hours of my time throughout the life of the car turning on stupid Mix mode-since that's all I want to do is grab one of a number of big (100+ song) playlists and mix it. Classic Rock one day, Alternative the next, etc. It is really embarrassing that the easiest/best User Experience for iPod is in a FORD with SYNC where you just tell it what you want to hear and you are done forever if you want to be.

Now that I've vented...does anyone have a hack or Vag-Com setting to fix this issue? Any shared fantasies that Audi might release a fix someday for this?
Old 02-01-2012, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TerryVA
How hard is it to leave the previous mode (shuffle, within a certain playlist/folder) set when you turn the car back on again?? I will undoubtedly spend hours of my time throughout the life of the car turning on stupid Mix mode-since that's all I want to do is grab one of a number of big (100+ song) playlists and mix it. Classic Rock one day, Alternative the next, etc. It is really embarrassing that the easiest/best User Experience for iPod is in a FORD with SYNC where you just tell it what you want to hear and you are done forever if you want to be.

Now that I've vented...does anyone have a hack or Vag-Com setting to fix this issue? Any shared fantasies that Audi might release a fix someday for this?
No Vag-Com mod for this known, there are some MMI quirks like this and others (preset on radio buttons has similar behavior). Myself and several others have complained to Audi about this and there have been a number of threads on this, but it seems like our complaints are falling on deaf ears as far as a fix, but it wouldn't hurt to have more people complain to Audi to possibly push them into fixing these quirks.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Any info on the newest generation MMI correcting this one?
Old 02-01-2012, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redrocker55
Any info on the newest generation MMI correcting this one?
We'd have to go into the A6/A7/A8 forums to ask around... I'm too lazy and really don't care about this, since it's muscle memory to deal with any MMI issues at this point - I don't even have to look most of the time.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by UmIsThisThingOn
We'd have to go into the A6/A7/A8 forums to ask around... I'm too lazy and really don't care about this, since it's muscle memory to deal with any MMI issues at this point - I don't even have to look most of the time.
^ I am still laughing EXACTLY! It's like second nature to me every single time I get into the car! Pain in the A$$!!! Oh well hopefully Audi corrected all the issues on the 13'
Old 02-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

agree 100% with OP. My previous ride, a 2010 mustang, had phenomenal ipod control, sync worked pretty much as advertised. more advanced Ipod control functionality and the bluetooth streaming audio are two glaring ommisions in an otherwise pretty high tech car. It seems audi could address some of these with an MMI update but alas they have not done it yet....
Old 02-02-2012, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol, I agree that it has become pretty much a muscle memory thing to make the desired setting change. Yes, it would be great if MMI had some kind of memory to your personalized settings (and if Sirius worked well in suburban New England like it does in American vehicles). I've gotten used to it though. I see it as a bonus now. It gives me something to do while letting oil flow through the engine a little longer, verify the garage door closes (which it hasn't a number of times because of a leaf or something else tripping the safety beam), etc. I love listening on mix mode, though, and it is amazing how quickly this setting is blown away. I haven't timed it, but I swear the setting is lost faster than the trip 1 computer stats...
Old 02-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have not heard any mention of the counterintuitive mmi **** scroll, can that be changed?
Old 02-03-2012, 12:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TerryVA
It is really embarrassing that the easiest/best User Experience for iPod is in a FORD with SYNC where you just tell it what you want to hear and you are done forever if you want to be.
Why would that be surprising? Sync is made by Microsoft and MMI is made by some Germans who just happen to think in a very different logic from most of us.

I have a question: does the MMI at least resume from the media that you were listening to last time? For example when I start the car, it continues on the same radio station or continues to play the SD card? Or it starts from a dead stop and you need to click Media -> SD card -> Folder, etc.

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2012, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I assume the current version is similar to what was used in my former MY08 Q7. If so, there are some quirks which hopefully will be addressed with the refresh. I believe this system is the same, except for screen size, found in the current A6. I will be test driving both this weekend and will be testing the iPod connectivity in the A6.

I will say it is not the worst system. From my experience that honor goes to the MMI used in my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland.

Quick Reply: iPod/MMI User Experience driving me nuts