S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

interior design quirks

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 01:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default interior design quirks

Coming from a Japanese car ('06 TL 6MT) with sensible ergonomics, the B8 S4 has a couple interior details I'm struggling to understand. I also have an '08 C300 with a few of these quirks, but not as many.

1) Why is there an air vent next to the shifter?

2) Why is the volume control on the right side of the steering wheel? makes little sense esp for manual transmission drivers.

3) Why is leather an option now, whereas before alcantara was the option? I guess Audi realized leather is more popular, and is trying to milk more from us.

4) Why no traditional parking brake? It's cooler to pull a big lever for drifting maneuvers

5) Why does the dash look like it was lifted from a 92-96 Camry?

I won't mention the plasticky silver gauge surround since that topic's already been beaten to death. I really want to like this car over the previous model, but can't see myself getting used to the interior, which seems like a huge downgrade from my TL and previous S4.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1) There is no air vent next to the shifter, this is for coins for toll roads

2) Not sure why this makes no sense, even for a 6MT driver - are you for some reason trying to shift AND change the volume at the same time? Sounds like a recipe for disaster no matter where the volume is located

3) Dunno, I like the Alcantara, but then maybe this Silk Nappa is a higher quality than the old version?

4) It's a smaller better brake. It's still a cable applying the brake, but with it being all servo controller, you never have to adjust the tension on it over time like a large lever.

5) Personal taste, I disagree completely though. The Camrey there has center vents where the MMI screen is, it has huge temp/fan/vent controls instead of dual controls with the integration of the controls into single ***** per side. The radio is asstastic on this shot, no need to even see a radio with the MMI. The black dash looks loads better than this, but tobe honest, dashes look all roughly the same. They have undergone a hundred years of use and there is a methodology to them which works, and is why they mostly look the same.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I don't understand your quibble with the volume control, I almost always see the volume control on the right side of the wheel. Perhaps they think you should shift and change the volume one at a time.

Maybe they put the air vent there to cool your fingers off because you're shifting and playing with the volume all the time? I dunno.

As far as I know, the leather is more expensive than alcantara. Don't car companies usually give you the lower-priced material and let you opt for the more expensive?

92-96 Camry? Were those the ones with the good ergonomics?
Old 04-30-2010, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Apprently Alcantara is very popular along the luxury/exotic arenas. it comes in both of these rust buckets

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car...ion-auto_shows

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/..._gt3-road_test
Old 04-30-2010, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by silverTL6
2) Why is the volume control on the right side of the steering wheel? makes little sense esp for manual transmission drivers.
How often do you find yourself compelled to adjust the volume in the middle of shifting gears? Can't say I've ever had a volume shifting urge so massively urgent that I couldn't wait a second or two to do after I was done shifting gears.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Apprently Alcantara is very popular along the luxury/exotic arenas. it comes in both of these rust buckets
LOL! Dang Lambos & Porsches! They're just a bunch of ricer boy wannabes....[SARCASM]
Old 04-30-2010, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

5) Are you seriously comparing the S4's interior to a 92 camry? The only similarity that they share is that the wheel is on the left hand side.

I agree with you on #4. It is lame that Audi has gone to an electronic parking brake, especially on the manual. Kind of like getting rid of dipsticks and using electronic oil sensors.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that the interior is cheaper in fact I feel the entire car is cheaper compared to earlier models. Having said that the price is much lower now so in the end you get what you pay for. Overall I am satisfied with my purchase. This seems to be a trend as the new TT is a lot cheaper than my 05 TT by a mile!
Old 04-30-2010, 05:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
1) There is no air vent next to the shifter, this is for coins for toll roads
I'm referring to the vent above the volume control (see below) - if it's indeed for coin storage, how would you get the coins out?

Originally Posted by LeadToRome
I don't understand your quibble with the volume control, I almost always see the volume control on the right side of the wheel. Perhaps they think you should shift and change the volume one at a time.
Not sure about other manual drivers, but my right hand is usually on the shifter or adjusting something on the center console. It's almost never near the steering wheel unless I'm driving aggressively. Perhaps I'm in the minority here.

Originally Posted by LeadToRome
92-96 Camry? Were those the ones with the good ergonomics?
Originally Posted by big windy
5) Are you seriously comparing the S4's interior to a 92 camry? The only similarity that they share is that the wheel is on the left hand side.
The later ones were much better, but what I'm getting at is the contour of the dash and how the "hood" wraps around both the guages and center console, making the driver's side look bulky/frumpy and the passenger side like an afterthought.

If the intent was to make it driver-oriented, they could've executed it like the E46 3-series (see below). IMO, the R8 is the only application where Audi's "driver-oriented" design works.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by silverTL6
I'm referring to the vent above the volume control (see below) - if it's indeed for coin storage, how would you get the coins out?
Presuming you wee blessed with an opposable thumb on your right hand, it's a simple matter of grasping said coin between thumb and forefinger, then lifting the coin up. Just don't do it while shifting gears or changing the volume of the stereo.
;-)

Quick Reply: interior design quirks