S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

How much oil does your S4 use?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I followed the aggressive break-in procedure and do not have any oil consumption per the display in the MMI or the dipstick.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Anyone with higher mileage (B8 S4 with over 50,000miles)? I didn't have issues until later...
For me after 8000km if you check the MMI there is one or so bars left. Before it asked this time I did an oil change on my own.

Last edited by TO407S4; 10-17-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I followed manufacturer's recommendation for break-in, have 11,000 miles, and have nevrer needed to add oil.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

I'll always take the advice over a team of engine designers over a snowmobile mechanic. There's no way he's smarter than the people who designed our engines. Plus if you do follow the "motoman" break in, it focuses only on the piston rings, but break in is about the bearings, and valve seating, and transmission, etc.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have 2012 with 67,000 miles and have never had a between service oil light or need to add any oil.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:42 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
I'll always take the advice over a team of engine designers over a snowmobile mechanic. There's no way he's smarter than the people who designed our engines. Plus if you do follow the "motoman" break in, it focuses only on the piston rings, but break in is about the bearings, and valve seating, and transmission, etc.
Unforunately Audi's break in recommendations are coming from the Bean Counters,not the engineers. And there are really 2 distict processes going on. First, there is the so called BREAK IN of the engine. This really refers to the seating of the piston rings. The easy technique does not facilitate the 100% seating of the piston rings. Secondly, you have the WEAR IN of all the moving parts of the engine, drive train and other systems. IMHO, the hard technique can put extra stress on these parts even though it is great for getting the piston rings seated. The Motoman technique offers the best of both techniques. Those of us who have used it KNOW it works . Nobody that has used it has reported engine issues or oil consuption problem. Search the internet or other forums for excessive oil consumption issues or engine problems associated with the Motoman technique. You just won't find any. I've done it. That cannot be said about those following the manufactures's technique. And yes, all manufactures will have a very small percentage of engine problems not associated with break in technique.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

I don't buy the bean counter conspiracy theory at all. I checked with a few friends in the industry and they all agreed that the manufacturer prescribed break in really is the best. Mots false ideas are accepted because of the human desire to resist a vast, usually nonexistent, conspiracy. But aside from that, lets look at this logically.

Audi engineers have decade of experience designing cars. It really is in their best interest that the break in result in the most reliable car, perhaps at the expense of performance. Every other car company, which also has decades of experience, suggests a very similar break in program. Are you saying a snowmobile mechanic is smarter than the combined engineering talent of the entire automobile industry? Not a chance.

The only evidence that a hard break in is beneficial is anecdotal at best from a small sample of enthusiasts on a car forum. You are going to have to show me large samples (at least 1,000 cars, preferably much more) of data of long term reliabiility, oil consumption, and breakin method before I could possibly come to the conclusion that any of us, snowmobile mechanics included, are smarter than the Audi design team.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
I don't buy the bean counter conspiracy theory at all. I checked with a few friends in the industry and they all agreed that the manufacturer prescribed break in really is the best. Mots false ideas are accepted because of the human desire to resist a vast, usually nonexistent, conspiracy. But aside from that, lets look at this logically.

Audi engineers have decade of experience designing cars. It really is in their best interest that the break in result in the most reliable car, perhaps at the expense of performance. Every other car company, which also has decades of experience, suggests a very similar break in program. Are you saying a snowmobile mechanic is smarter than the combined engineering talent of the entire automobile industry? Not a chance.

The only evidence that a hard break in is beneficial is anecdotal at best from a small sample of enthusiasts on a car forum. You are going to have to show me large samples (at least 1,000 cars, preferably much more) of data of long term reliabiility, oil consumption, and breakin method before I could possibly come to the conclusion that any of us, snowmobile mechanics included, are smarter than the Audi design team.
You just keep on believing that then. Enjoy your "normal" oil burning! There's documented proof that auto companies put profits over safety let alone happy customers.

Last edited by Stereodude; 10-26-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:46 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereodude
You just keep on believing that then. Enjoy your "normal" oil burning! There's documented proof that auto companies put profits over safety let alone happy customers.
Someone who gets it!
Old 10-26-2013, 03:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
Someone who gets it!
+1 from me too. I did a hard break in and I don't have a drop oil burning ever.

Quick Reply: How much oil does your S4 use?