S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

how many miles before you red lined your S4

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 02:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrGP
ACTUALLY, I re read your original post and you say red line through ALL the gears. That I would not do until 1000 miles. To the red line in any one gear, at any mileage. In all gears, 1000 miles
I just got my car. So does it matter which gear I am in?

I have been redlining the car in first once a day. Is that ok, or should I red line in 2 or 3rd every once in a while as well?
Does it matter?
Old 07-24-2011, 03:56 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is what I recommend. It is a variation of the Motoman technique. No one who has used this technique has ever reported oil consumption issues or engine problems, Many have thanked me for the recommendation. Those that have used know that IT WORKS! After the car has reached normal operating temp. Run the car Wide Open Throttle to the redline(or just shy for the squeamish) I assure you that the engine will run happily at the redline for a second or two. After reaching the red line, take your foot off of the gas with the car still in gear and let it coast back to normal speed.(engine braking) . Do not do this drag race style. First or second gear are fine. Any gear for that matter. Do not do back to back WOT runs to the red line. WOT in any gear below the red line at will. 2-3 WOTs to the red line per day until you have 1K miles. At that point there are no limitations. You can check out Motoman here: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Last edited by DrGP; 07-24-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Here is what I recommend. It is a variation of the Motoman technique. No one who has used this technique has ever reported oil consumption issues or engine problems, Many have thanked me for the recommendation. Those that have used know that IT WORKS! After the car has reached normal operating temp. Run the car Wide Open Throttle to the redline(or just shy for the squeamish) I assure you that the engine will run happily at the redline for a second or two. After reaching the red line, take your foot off of the gas with the car still in gear and let it coast back to normal speed.(engine braking) . Do not do this drag race style. First or second gear are fine. Any gear for that matter. Do not do back to back WOT runs to the red line. WOT in any gear below the red line at will. 2-3 WOTs to the red line per day until you have 1K miles. At that point there are no limitations. You can check out Motoman here: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I've never thanked you, and now I feel guilty.... Thanks Doc!!!

I floored mine right outta the stable, like a jackass heartily bounced it off the redline a few times, gave it some curb rash for good measure as it's wider than my E46 (felt slightly guilty and went home, drank scotch) and haven't looked back. 14,000 miles now and not a drop of oil consumption. At my last service Audi commented on how clean the oil and filter was.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

~500 miles
Old 07-25-2011, 08:29 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I appreciate the thanks but what I would appreciate more is to TELL OTHERS ABOUT IT! The word is slowly spreading. It is really frustrating to me when there is a technique that works and works all the time and people aren't aware of it. Even more frustrating is the fact that most owner will just blindly follow the manufactures recommendations. But how could I or anyone else know better than Audi? Or any other manufacturer for that matter. Its always all about the money.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I already have it programmed in my head that as soon as my car is delivered to use the method of break-in described by DrGp. An excuse to enjoy the car a little every time i hop in it.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Great info DrGP!

I have been planning on using the break-in method you have shared when my car arrives.

One question. I will be picking my car up at a dealer that is 175 miles from my house and driving home that day, Seattle to Portland. The drive home is basically a straight shot down I-5. Other than surface roads for a couple miles on each end this will not leave me a lot of room for anything other than cruising at high way speeds the whole 175 miles.

Is there anything you would recommend? I could mapquest a 10-20 mile route near the dealership through some rural roads to do some spirited driving with WOT a few times and engine braking before I come back to the freeway and set the cruise control.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-25-2011, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

I appreciate the thanks but what I would appreciate more is to TELL OTHERS ABOUT IT! The word is slowly spreading. It is really frustrating to me when there is a technique that works and works all the time and people aren't aware of it. Even more frustrating is the fact that most owner will just blindly follow the manufactures recommendations. But how could I or anyone else know better than Audi? Or any other manufacturer for that matter. Its always all about the money.
I promise... I actually do care about your blood pressure.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jonnyz1245
Great info DrGP!

I have been planning on using the break-in method you have shared when my car arrives.

One question. I will be picking my car up at a dealer that is 175 miles from my house and driving home that day, Seattle to Portland. The drive home is basically a straight shot down I-5. Other than surface roads for a couple miles on each end this will not leave me a lot of room for anything other than cruising at high way speeds the whole 175 miles.

Is there anything you would recommend? I could mapquest a 10-20 mile route near the dealership through some rural roads to do some spirited driving with WOT a few times and engine braking before I come back to the freeway and set the cruise control.

Thanks in advance
No need to do that. Heck, my drive home was about 40 miles on the freeway and another 30 just plain 4 lane highway. I just tried to vary the RPMs, downshift (double clutch and rev match) to lower gears often and do plenty of full throttle blasts below redline, and used toll booths and onramps as an opportunity to drop down to 3rd or 2nd and floor it to redline and offramps as an opportunity to engine brake.

If you need to, just get off at an exit every so often and use the on and offramps as your personal play areas and try not to hold gears too long while you're on the freeway. That's the other good side to the method DrGP recommends: It's extremely fun!
Old 07-25-2011, 12:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Quick Reply: how many miles before you red lined your S4