S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Help! Swirls on my black S4!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Swirls on my black S4!

Beautiful day and I washed and waxed my black S4 with Meguiar's NXT. I was buffing off with what I thought was a clean towel but must not have been. Now I'm left with swirls on the hood and elsewhere. Also, I have to say I agree with some of the reviews that Meguiar's NXT has an oily residue that doesn't want to buff off. Any suggestions to restore my baby?
Old 06-13-2011, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is why I will never buy another black car.

I hope you can get them out. I am sure some of the detail gurus can suggest remedy's that will restore your baby to new...until next time!

Good luck!
Old 06-13-2011, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Light polishing (with a machine) is going to be the quickest remedy. Then re-seal the surface.

How are you washing the car?
Old 06-13-2011, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Light polishing (with a machine) is going to be the quickest remedy. Then re-seal the surface.

How are you washing the car?
Just using Meguiar's car wash solution and a clean mitt. This one was actually brand new. The NXT also left a weird blotchy, haze. I read that a detailing spray can clear that up. I'm going to try that when the car cools off.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

sorry to hear man.. this is the main reason I wanted to buy a white car. my evo was black and eventually developed swirls. it may be early but inevitable. good luck
Old 06-13-2011, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by truep287
Just using Meguiar's car wash solution and a clean mitt. This one was actually brand new. The NXT also left a weird blotchy, haze. I read that a detailing spray can clear that up. I'm going to try that when the car cools off.
I feel your frustration.

Couple things. I've used NXT for years. I've always enjoyed it.

Here are a few suggestions...

1. Always use a micro fiber towel that has been washed with NO softner. Softner can leave a residue on microfiber or cotton and that can lead to problems removing polish.

2. Always use a 2 bucket method, especially with a black car...if you can get the kind with grit guards that sit on the bottom for both it's even better. Detailers Domain or Autogeek has these.

3. I have had success using Wolfgang and Menzerna products for issues like this...but there are others on the market that work great also.

If you really want to get this fixed you can try hand polishing/waxing but depending on how deep they are...and they might not be that deep depending on how hard you were pressing when removing the NXT. Hand polishing might not be enough though.

I bought a Griots orbital polisher and love it. It has helped remove all types of paint issues on my cars in the past.

There is a product called Wolfgang Total Swirl remover. It does NOT leave a haze and will remove all but the most stubborn swirl marks. Menzerna has a version of this as well.

Talk to the guys over a Detailers Domain, vendor on Audiworld and they can give you some great suggestions. Talk to Phil, he has been a huge help to many people on the forum.

Lastly...I bet that if you give your car a good wax job with a high quality wax those swirl marks will mostly or all disappear. Again I like Wolfgang product and I've used Wolfgang Fuzion Wax and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Goes on/ off easy (added bonus it smells great) and leaves the car looking like it was just delivered!

I would also check into some detail sprays like Wolfgang detail spritz or Wolfgang 3.0 Spray Sealant. Not trying to sell Wolfgang...it's just what I'm most familiar with.

Let us know how it turns out!! Good luck.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by truep287

The NXT also left a weird blotchy, haze. I read that a detailing spray can clear that up.
Has it gone bad? Spoiled?
Old 06-13-2011, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Redrocker, thanks for the suggestions! You were right, I looked again and the swirls don't seem that deep so I'll definitely try your suggestions. It'll probably be a while before I get around to doing it, but I'll let you know.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Has it gone bad? Spoiled?
I don't think so, it seems to be only on the hood and a few spots elsewhere. The side panels look great. Someone recommended spray on detailer which worked for them. I'm going to give it a try.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up some swirls on my red S4 after letting other people wash it all winter. I had great luck with Zaino AIO. It's mildly abrasive. Followed by Z-5, which is supposed to have some mild filling ability. Results are the swirls are completely gone, even after 3 months and several washings. By me. By hand. From now on.

You mentioned you used a brand new wash mit. Had you run the mit through the wash first?

Quick Reply: Help! Swirls on my black S4!