S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Headlamps Resetting themselves while stopped???

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlamps Resetting themselves while stopped???

It seems my headlamps keep on "resetting" themselves ie point down and then come back up quite a bit when I am stopped either at a light, stop sign etc... just wondering if this is normal... and if so why its happening????!!!
Old 12-23-2010, 05:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Have not noticed that, only when the car initially starts up. Interesting, maybe your car is just being "meticulous" and making sure the lights are nice and level all the time
Old 12-24-2010, 04:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dubes12
It seems my headlamps keep on "resetting" themselves ie point down and then come back up quite a bit when I am stopped either at a light, stop sign etc... just wondering if this is normal... and if so why its happening????!!!
I have noticed this as well...
Old 12-24-2010, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by harbour456
I have noticed this as well...
I need to pay more attention so as to observe, though until now maybe not so noticeable maybe in city street lighting. That said it wouldn't surprise me that it's a courtesy feature (so as not to blind the people in front of you in opposite lane at signal stop). There seems little downside to this feature / function ....I mean it's not a problem.....or am I missing something?
Old 12-24-2010, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've noticed them releveling when starting off from a stop. As the car shifts weight towards the back and the nose comes up from the initial acceleration I sometimes notice the relevel dance in the reflection on the car in front of me. Never seen it do it while just sitting there.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dubes12
The headlights are self-leveling. When driving down the street and no cars are in front of you they will slowly tilt up to give you better visibility. So when you come to a light and are behind a vehicle, or any object, they will slowly tilt back down.

European vehicles with xenon headlights are required to have that feature. Japanese cars are not which is why you will notice that their headlight assemblies look different compared to european cars.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have found that my headlights on occasion would go bonkers as if they were trying to initialize while moving. After happening a few times it appears that if you start your car on a slight incline and the headlights try to initialize they cannot get a level read? I have found this out as every time I leave my in-laws place (slight incline) in the dark my headlights would be bonkers and I would have to stop on level ground stop the engine and restart, all was good. I had tried on a a steeper incline and nothing happened? One of these times I am going to check the grade of their driveway and verify before I complain to the dealer.

Cheers,

KC
Old 12-27-2010, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Brandonb
I've noticed them releveling when starting off from a stop. As the car shifts weight towards the back and the nose comes up from the initial acceleration I sometimes notice the relevel dance in the reflection on the car in front of me. Never seen it do it while just sitting there.
This is what they are suppost to be doing. When the car's nose goes up the lamps go down (maintaining level) so that they don't point up into someone's eyes.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sandy S
This is what they are suppost to be doing. When the car's nose goes up the lamps go down (maintaining level) so that they don't point up into someone's eyes.
Right. While accelerating releveling like I describe is normal, releveling while stopped as the OP describes is not. Unless maybe they are stoping on inclines a lot.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I'm a second owner on an S4 and my headlights used to do the usual up/down after just starting the vehicle. Then they started doing it at a red light.

It has progressed now (most days) only one side will go up/down after first starting the vehicle. Could be left side, could be right side. For a few days, the right side stayed in the full down position. Then things returned to normal. Then the drivers side would maybe stay down.

I thought motors at first, but things may occasionally return to normal and then go wonky again. So the motors are working.

Is there a control board of some sort that I can replace? I'm thinking the brain is fried.