S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Has anyone ordered and actually received a B8.5 CF MMI/Cluster from OCarbon?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts
Default Has anyone ordered and actually received a B8.5 CF MMI/Cluster from OCarbon? Arrived

I've had one of order since April. It's taken longer than it did to custom build and ship the entire car. I've emailed them numerous times and I'm always told it will ship soon, or next week, or other such claim that never happens. I see them announcing new products on their facebook page all the time. Maybe they should concentrate on fulfilling orders they already have? They billed my card when I placed the order which I'm pretty sure it's not OK to recognize revenue before shipping a product.

Has anybody actually received one of these? It's the one piece special for the B8.5 that surrounds the cluster and MMI.

Last edited by Bobby Kinstle; 09-25-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting,,, I have a special order S4 PP with both the Black Wood Inlays, BLack Optic Package, MMI and BO and all the other r stuff too and I have a DD od 11.20.13 less than 10 weeks

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
I've had one of order since April. It's taken longer than it did to custom build and ship the entire car. I've emailed them numerous times and I'm always told it will ship soon, or next week, or other such claim that never happens. I see them announcing new products on their facebook page all the time. Maybe they should concentrate on fulfilling orders they already have? They billed my card when I placed the order which I'm pretty sure it's not OK to recognize revenue before shipping a product.

Has anybody actually received one of these? It's the one piece special for the B8.5 that surrounds the cluster and MMI.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

I'm talking about this thing:

http://ocarbon.com/blog/2013/01/b8-5...im-production/
Old 09-24-2013, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Finally!

Hooray it finally came in!

Here are some pics

Old 09-25-2013, 05:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
Hooray it finally came in!

Here are some pics

Looks fantastic. Can you please discuss the quality? fit? finish? match to oem carbon trim? price (can't find on website)?
Old 09-25-2013, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Originally Posted by vpr1980s
Looks fantastic. Can you please discuss the quality? fit? finish? match to oem carbon trim? price (can't find on website)?
The quality is pretty good, but there is a couple of gaps around the top of the MMI trim where I can see the shiny metal tabs underneath when I'm seated, and a gap in the top left corner of the MMI screen. You have to look pretty closely one it's installed. There is another small gap on the bottom where the cutter when in a little too far, but you have to be laying on your back on the shifter to see it. The carbon and the exoxy covering it is thicker than the paint so there is less protrusion of the chrome trim, and in some cases like the top of the AC vent, the chrome trim sits below the carbon.

The finish is a bit more shiny than OEM. It's smooth. The part arrived with a lot of dust and fingerprints on it, but I wiped it down with a waxing cloth and the shine came right out.

Match wise, it's not a perfect match. They used the same weave as the factory but the direction of the weave does not perfectly match the factory weave. I suspect this is an impossible goal since the other trim pieces all "lean" in different directions and the highly complex shape of the part. The factory pieces are stretched over a mold but since this piece is made from a single sheet, it's not possible to stretch it tightly and have it wrap around all the complex shapes around the cluster. This may be a big part of the reason why Audi didn't do it in the first place. Finally the ocarbon part appears slightly blacker than the OEM parts. I suspect there is little they can do to control that. Since all the parts look different depending on the angle, it only stood out when I placed the new part directly on top of one of the OEM parts.

I was one of the first people to order it back in April and I paid $875 and I get $200 back when I return the old part.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the product. The car really should have been built that way in the first place. The old silver bezel wasn't horrible with the silver alcantara, but if you had a black or red interior, I'm sure it would really stand out in a horrible way.

Here is the original part:

Last edited by Bobby Kinstle; 09-25-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks so much for the info. It's my gripe as well that Audi did not do that part in CF and I think it even looks a little odd in silver. I guess I'll see when the car comes in how badly I want to change it. Sounds like it s a good piece, but the perfectionist in me might not be satisfied with 95%.