S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Got out of M3 and into S4

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 08:05 PM
sor
AudiWorld Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by sdiver68
Seems like most of the criticisms you have of the M3 would have been addressed with a Dinan chipped 335i. Personally, I think the e90/2/3 M3 is one of the most overrated cars out there.

Congratulations on seeing the light
Yeah, and I did think hard about going back to the 335. In the end I think the S4 is a better car stock for stock, and with the recent software/pully it's even better. Also, I needed a change :-)
Old 09-25-2011, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too enjoyed your review. I am currently in a BMW MT X3. I was going to move into the newer X3, but they have moved to RFT's and they just dont lend themselves to any mods other than superficial bolt ons.

So I now am sitting back for another year setting aside money monthly in a CD for an S4 (I like to buy mostly in cash with maybe a 2 year loan). I hadnt even considered a regular m class sedan as they dont offer awd and cant see buying a vehicle without.

You touched upon something that I get a lot which is a false perception of who I am, based on my car. When in reality I have seen Ford F150's that are equal in price.

Nice to know that I am looking forward to an S4 for the same reasons you mentioned. A daily driver that can run with the big dogs when asked, but not draw a lot of attention. Just wish they had kept that meteor gray. Who knows by next year they may come up with something even nicer.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Great interior choice, I picked the silver alcantara and I love it, no maintenance/staining/cleaning issues yet, granted I only have 1,000 miles
Old 09-26-2011, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sdiver68
Seems like most of the criticisms you have of the M3 would have been addressed with a Dinan chipped 335i. Personally, I think the e90/2/3 M3 is one of the most overrated cars out there.

Congratulations on seeing the light
Disagree.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sor
Yeah, and I did think hard about going back to the 335. In the end I think the S4 is a better car stock for stock, and with the recent software/pully it's even better. Also, I needed a change :-)
Exactly how I ended up here!
Old 09-26-2011, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

OP: Great write up. Enjoy rowing through the gears in your S4. I wish could have both.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Great write up!

Out of curiosity, anyone else had a 'play' against an M3?
At the weekend I was driving home at a modest pace in the middle lane and saw a 2010 E92 M3 quickly approaching in the fast lane. I let him past, then tucked in behind him. I won't go into details with regards to what speeds we reached, but we did multiple pulls from ~60mph and much to my surprise managed to keep up with him.. (I have a stock, manual 2010 S4 running on Tesco 99 fuel). The guy was pushing his car hard and I could just about hear his exhaust from inside mine. On paper an S4 is on parr with a 335i, so was pleasantly surpised that I kept with him. The M3 driver was a **** jockey and kept putting his indicator on for other cars to move out of his way. It was really winding him up that I could 'just about' keep up with him!
Old 09-26-2011, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JamesPaul
Great write up!

Out of curiosity, anyone else had a 'play' against an M3?
At the weekend I was driving home at a modest pace in the middle lane and saw a 2010 E92 M3 quickly approaching in the fast lane. I let him past, then tucked in behind him. I won't go into details with regards to what speeds we reached, but we did multiple pulls from ~60mph and much to my surprise managed to keep up with him.. (I have a stock, manual 2010 S4 running on Tesco 99 fuel). The guy was pushing his car hard and I could just about hear his exhaust from inside mine. On paper an S4 is on parr with a 335i, so was pleasantly surpised that I kept with him. The M3 driver was a **** jockey and kept putting his indicator on for other cars to move out of his way. It was really winding him up that I could 'just about' keep up with him!
**** jockey. Haha.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sor
Engine: I have to go with the 3.0 TFSI on this one....So in short, S65 is a better performer, 3.0 TFSI is a funner daily driver.
A "Funner" daily driver is exactly how I describe the 3.0, especially with a tune and pulley. Grins under all circumstances. I gave up the RS4 for exactly that reason, a great car but it had to be in its element to be enjoyed. The S4 is always in its element. Enjoy your ride!
Old 09-26-2011, 10:58 AM
sor
AudiWorld Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by JonRS4
A "Funner" daily driver is exactly how I describe the 3.0, especially with a tune and pulley. Grins under all circumstances. I gave up the RS4 for exactly that reason, a great car but it had to be in its element to be enjoyed. The S4 is always in its element. Enjoy your ride!
Heh, my wife is(was) an English teacher, and she likes to remind me that while correct, "funner" is improper. Which always makes me want to say "more funner" instead, just to see how improper I can get :-)

Thanks for the feedback guys, glad to see that my novel was actually read.

Quick Reply: Got out of M3 and into S4